Finally in the air

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I found and added some red LED's to the port wing tip. I haven't flown it at night again but I did fly Sunday afternoon. It looks like I have some work to do on my cub. It flew pretty nice under power but when I cut the throttle, it would take a hard dive down, it needed full elevator up to maintain a nice glide slope. I will need to look it over and see if the CG is too far forward or if my horizontal stab. is level. I didn't seen any noticeable problems when I looked it over before flying.
If it dives when you cut the throttle and flies level when you're on power you might have a few degrees of up thrust in your motor mount.

Tjhochha

If it dives when you cut the throttle and flies level when you're on power you might have a few degrees of up thrust in your motor mount.
That is probably another problem it is having. I'm using the power pod out of my 150% FT corsair in it. it's not as long and is slightly taller than the standard pod. I kind of had to jam it in the nose of the plane to make it fit. I should rebuild the pod anyways, it's had a rough life.

Tjhochha

I found the problem, the thin foam tie between the two halves of the elevator was broken. It looked ok when testing the throw but when I grabbed it, I saw it was broken. It must have gotten stuck down slightly and that was causing my problems.

In other news, flying at night is pretty awesome!
B864888B-4ECE-4E9D-9705-48F7FFDEE378.jpeg
I need to add some lights to the right wing tip but I need some different colored lights. Probably green to finish off the nautical lighting scheme.

I really look forward to flying when it’s snowing, I have pretty bright led’s pointing forward.

Reminds me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I haven't done any night flying yet. I might need to start since it's dark when I'm going to and leaving work right now lol.

Tjhochha

Reminds me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I haven't done any night flying yet. I might need to start since it's dark when I'm going to and leaving work right now lol.
Yeah, me too, that's why I added lights. I need some green lights on the other wing tip, orientation is still a little rough for me.

Tjhochha

Does anybody else have the problem where they start out flying nice and smooth and the longer they get into their flight, the worse their flying gets? I think I start overthinking things and my skill quickly goes downhill. That's how I ended up in the neighbors tree on Thanksgiving.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Whilst you might be having this exact issue but with our newbie warbird trainees we discovered that they had no problem in taking off and doing the first couple of circuits but as their confidence grew they pushed the throttle to max and started to "Give it Stick" Sadly at higher speeds the controls are far more effective and we lost a few due to overcontrolling when trying to recover from a high speed maneuver.

Now we get the Newbies to use a 3 position switch for their dual rates and set the high and low rates at the opposite ends of the switch throw and in the centre we set it for low rate with increased expo so if they want to do some high speed work including high speed runs we recommend that they use the centre position, (increased expo) until they get used to the feel or change in control responses at high speed.

Their crash rates have dropped markedly of late including all new trainees entering the program.

Have fun!

Tjhochha

Whilst you might be having this exact issue but with our newbie warbird trainees we discovered that they had no problem in taking off and doing the first couple of circuits but as their confidence grew they pushed the throttle to max and started to "Give it Stick" Sadly at higher speeds the controls are far more effective and we lost a few due to overcontrolling when trying to recover from a high speed maneuver.

Now we get the Newbies to use a 3 position switch for their dual rates and set the high and low rates at the opposite ends of the switch throw and in the centre we set it for low rate with increased expo so if they want to do some high speed work including high speed runs we recommend that they use the centre position, (increased expo) until they get used to the feel or change in control responses at high speed.

Their crash rates have dropped markedly of late including all new trainees entering the program.

Have fun!
Well, since you put it that way, I feel like you hit the nail on the head. I think I do exactly what you’re talking about. When I first take off, I’m concentrated on getting trim set and keeping things smooth. Then once I get it flying well, I start messing around and get over confident. With my 3 channel cub, it’s kind of hard to “overfly”. My 150% Corsair on the other hand is about maxed out with the B pack but is still very sensitive to inputs.
Once I get a modern TX, I’ll set up some more control schemes with expo and different rates. I’m pretty sure mine is just plain straight rates.