• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

First Balsa Build. Guillows 504 Spitfire

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
A while ago (Monday) I decided to try building a balsa plane, which is something that I have been wanting to do for a while, so I got a guillows spitfire kit and started building. So far I finished the horizontal stabilizer, wing, and most of the fuselage (there are 2 parts labeled l2 that I do not know the use of). Here are the pictures of the build.
C9D15C01-B701-44BA-810F-1E3554B9A688.jpeg 03EAD7E3-E6F1-4DE5-97BE-E2290FD5EF7C.jpeg CEAEC307-5595-4036-AB15-AD42F1084FB6.jpeg

Jackson T

Nice! I absolutely love spitfires. One of my friend's dad used to work at a warbird museum, and he let me sit in one! Are you going to make it rc or free flight?

JTarmstr

Just a tip, when covering, make sure that the glue you use is not water based. Also its ok if the skin is not the tightest, if you use a spray bottle with some water on the tissue paper, it actually tightens up pretty nice.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Thanks for the tip, I will be covering it soon. I did have a question though, how do I cover the plane? Some people just use glue sticks to stick on the tissue, and others use dope. Also, the instructions for the plane says that I should give the covered parts a few coats of dope to strengthen the tissue and to make the plane a bit more water resistant. Do I have to do this?

JTarmstr

My guillows skyraider (link is in my signature) build I did, I used water soluble gluesticks, which went pretty poorly, however the glue itself stuck fine, I would say a non water based gluestick would work. Dope would probably be the best choice but from what I have read of it, its got some pretty nasty fumes and I cant seem to find any locally (I haven't searched that hard though).

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I just finished the vertical stabilizer. I will try to find either some good dope or uhu stic glue. I would use a simple Elmer’s glue stick but I think it washes off with water. I have also heard of a mix of white glue and water being used as dope, but that might wash off too. Also, do I need a water resistant glue, because the only water that this plane would encounter would be dew on grass (and even that would be rare).

degriz

In the past I have used dope and recently used glue sticks. If you plan on paint and having it around a while I would go with the dope.

Yes fumes suck, but for longevity, strength and accepting the paint dope is the best in my opinion.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I want to have the plane around for as long as I can, so I will probably be using dope. I would try painting but I don’t know what type of paint to use and I don’t know if I should use spray paint or brush paint on. Any suggestions?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I don’t think that aero gloss paint is available at my local hobby store. I will just ask them what to use when I go there to get dope. Thanks for all the help though.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I just got dope from hobby town. I left right before @TooJung2Die left a comment, so I didn’t see it until after I came back. I decided not to paint the plane because I want to fly it and it should be as light as possible. As for the dope smell though, my building table is right next to a window and there is a ceiling fan right behind it so I should be safe from the fumes... hopefully.

TooJung2Die

Dope is excellent for applying tissue covering. Arguably the best way. I would use dope if I could. I don't mind the fumes. My wife gets sick from it. Don't apply paint to tissue if you want your rubber band powered airplane to fly well. Every gram saved makes a difference. I hope you got dope thinner. You use it straight from the bottle to glue down the tissue but you want to thin it 50/50 after you water shrink the tissue.

Tench745

You might want to try Eze Dope instead. It's made for tissue, dries water proof, and doesn't have a solvent smell. I've used it and it works.

Jon
If I'm not mistaken, Eze Dope is basically Water Based PolyUrethane (WBPU). I may be confusing it with another product in their lineup though.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I started covering last night and so far I stuck the tissue onto the horizontal and vertical stabilizers, bottom of the wing, and part of the fuselage. I will start shrinking the tissue after covering everything that is required. I watched a few videos on covering and I read a few articles and I decided to apply the tissue with the white glue mix, shrink it with water, and then coat it with dope to seal it.

TooJung2Die

If I'm not mistaken, Eze Dope is basically Water Based PolyUrethane (WBPU). I may be confusing it with another product in their lineup though.
You might be correct. It is water based. It doesn't have a sweet smell like white glue or Titebond. It has a sort of sour smell. I have not used WBPU so I can't compare.