First Balsa Build?

Cnat

I know this has been discussed here, but I'm looking to build my first balsa airplane. I've been looking around and haven't found anything I'm excited about building. I read through Jokers post about building your first balsa plane, but mountain models is out of business otherwise the EVA Bipe looks pretty fun. (I was going to start with a spitfire but from reading its probably not a good idea lol)

I was looking at the 4 Charlie, but like I said Im not super excited about it. I would consider myself an intermediate flyer and would like something I can have a little more fun with.

SO I'm looking for kit recommendations. I have a pretty extensive background in woodworking, so I know my way around the shop very well. I understand that not all of my skills may transfer but I do have a lot of experience in that field. I however have absolutely no idea how to cover an airplane and I'm sure there are going to be a lot of things that are different.

Anyway if anyone has a fun kit in mind that would be good for an intermediate flyer and good for a beginner build with my background id really appreciate it.

FlyingTyger

Elite member
I know this has been discussed here, but I'm looking to build my first balsa airplane. I've been looking around and haven't found anything I'm excited about building. I read through Jokers post about building your first balsa plane, but mountain models is out of business otherwise the EVA Bipe looks pretty fun. (I was going to start with a spitfire but from reading its probably not a good idea lol)

I was looking at the 4 Charlie, but like I said Im not super excited about it. I would consider myself an intermediate flyer and would like something I can have a little more fun with.

SO I'm looking for kit recommendations. I have a pretty extensive background in woodworking, so I know my way around the shop very well. I understand that not all of my skills may transfer but I do have a lot of experience in that field. I however have absolutely no idea how to cover an airplane and I'm sure there are going to be a lot of things that are different.

Anyway if anyone has a fun kit in mind that would be good for an intermediate flyer and good for a beginner build with my background id really appreciate it.
Don't dismiss the 4charlie if your only concern is it not being "fun". I built one several years ago and powered it with a Rimfire 370 on a 3S 1500mah pack. It had tons of power and proved to be very snappy. I am a very experienced flier and I had a ton of fun with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0842.jpg
    IMG_0842.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    967.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    849.6 KB · Views: 0

Cnat

Don't dismiss the 4charlie if your only concern is it not being "fun". I built one several years ago and powered it with a Rimfire 370 on a 3S 1500mah pack. It had tons of power and proved to be very snappy. I am a very experienced flier and I had a ton of fun with it.
That is great to know. I think Ill start with that kit then! Thanks for your response and your input. I appreciate it.