First build - few questions about sourcing parts

Guaps

I'm building a Mini Arrow and it's my first scratch build. I already own most of the parts I need from stuff left over from my quadcopter build, but I have never built a fixed wing. So I don't want to buy the kit because I have most of it. Here is my parts list. Any suggestions on where to buy the missing pieces is greatly appreciated. (I'm in California)

Already have:
Foam Board (bought at Dollar Tree)
1300 mah 3S battery x 2- quad leftovers
2204 2300kv motors - quad leftovers
20A Little bee esc - quad leftovers
FrSky X8R receiver - quad leftovers
Props - I have tons of 5" props. I will pick up a couple 6" later

Stuff to buy:
ES9051 Servos x 4 - Do these things have cables already attached or do I need to solder them on?
Cables for servos (if needed)
Push rods - the build list said I need 16.5". Having a hard time finding these anywhere.
Anything else I need to attach these to the servo or the wing flap?
Firewall/control horn combo- I have no idea what this even is. I've read people make them from credit cards, popsicle sticks, and I've found pictures of some, but I guess I'll figure this out when I'm building it if it's that easy to fab on my own.

Thank you!

albent_33

I bought these servos and these servo extensions for a build a while back. You don't need to solder on the servo leads. They come already on the servo. As for your control horns you can buy them from flite test in their store. And for the firewall and push rods you can also get them from the flitetest store. By the way, if this is the first fixed wing you are going to fly, it will be difficult. Wings aren't good trainers. I would personally try the tiny trainer. Best of luck.

Guaps

Thank you for the quick reply and for the info! I bought a ready to fly plane 10+yrs ago, so I'm comfortable flying. I have no doubt I'll crash this thing early and often, but I'm willing to take that chance for now. Thanks for the warning though. I do tend to get in over my head, so I'll check out the tiny trainer and maybe build it and swap parts over.

Servos can be purchased at any hobby shop, or online at many sites including Amazon. Flite Test sells them as part of their power packs, and possibly individually. I get mine at Hobby King. The servos come with cables attached. These should be long enough for the Mini-arrow, but extensions are available if necessary. There is a FT video on hooking up electronics, which will introduce you to servos. The Mini-Arrow build video has information on the servos too.

Most people make their own push rods from piano/music wire that is available at any hardware store or hobby shop. Some people use the wire from the little flags that landscape contractors use. I think there is a FT video on control rods.

The firewall can be made from any thin plywood, available at hardware or hobby stores.. There is a template in your build plans. FT sells three different kinds of firewalls pretty inexpensively. Control horns can be made from ply or from gift/credit cards. Use the template in your plans as a rough guideline. Just make sure both of them are identical. FT sells two different ply control horns, in mini and regular sizes.

Once you have the servos in hand all of this will be easy to figure out. Watch the videos.

Ross

I recently bought the firewalls (5), control horns (20) and control rods (8 or so, i forget) from Flitetest and I am very pleased. $15 of on hand supplies so I don't have to spend all that time searching. I was pulling my hair out looking for stuff, but life is too short for that in my opinion.

slyke

You can use any 9g servo for the arrow.
Here is one example sold that is sold everywhere with slightly different labels:

http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-micro-Helicopter-Airplane-Controls/dp/B00JJZXRR0/ref=pd_sim_21_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41bomBLWMqL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0VS0X015J99ES3KWG7JG

You can buy control horns at a hobby store for a few dollars or make them from plastic gift cards with scissors, sandpaper and a small drill bit.

Linkage stoppers allow you to easily adjust the linkages to get the ailerons centered but they are not essential.
-Stephen