First Build

CsanadB

I want to build a rc plane but I don't know what to start with. I was thinking of getting something decently fast, decent at gliding. and upgradeable to fpv. I was considering the FT millennium Flerken but I'm a beginner-Intermediate pilot so I don't know if its a good first time build and something I can fly. Please post any suggestions within a 200 dollar price range for the plane, and about 100 for the transmitter. Thank you for your time and suggestions

Cnat

Start with the Simple Cub. You can install FPV if you would like. The plans come with an optional FPV port.

If you are trying to go cheap, download the plans from the forums, and print them out yourself. Just use the foam board from dollar tree. I have a cheap motor/ESC in mine and it works fine. On amazon you can find the motor ESC combo with two props (8" - would recommend 9" for the simple cub) and 3 servos for 22 bucks. I have two of them in two separate airplanes, and I'm considering buying two more and building the FT Guiney Pig using them. They are so cheap its hard to turn down since ive had decent luck so far. Here is the link.

Its not an XT60 connector but if you look around there are some that have it already so you don't have to solder a connecter on the ESC. It just depends on what you want. So far I haven't had any problems with mine. It is cheap so you get what you pay for I guess. My simple cub probably has 50 flights in it so far and it all still works. Pick up a receiver for $20 and you have yourself a plane for under $50 that's fun as hell to fly AND when you try to land it on your roof and end up destroying it in the process, you're only out like $5 in foam. Plus the simple cub is a swappable series so you could always build more airframes and swap the pod in and out and still be way under $200.

You're still going to need control horns and music wire for the control rods but that stuff is cheap. I have a 3d printer and I print control horns and firewalls all the time. I don't know if you have one but if you do use that.

Anyway if you want to build have fun! They have videos for all their scratch builds on youtube. This is a good airplane to learn a scratch build on since there isnt any foam shaping.

CsanadB

Start with the Simple Cub. You can install FPV if you would like. The plans come with an optional FPV port.

If you are trying to go cheap, download the plans from the forums, and print them out yourself. Just use the foam board from dollar tree. I have a cheap motor/ESC in mine and it works fine. On amazon you can find the motor ESC combo with two props (8" - would recommend 9" for the simple cub) and 3 servos for 22 bucks. I have two of them in two separate airplanes, and I'm considering buying two more and building the FT Guiney Pig using them. They are so cheap its hard to turn down since ive had decent luck so far. Here is the link.

Its not an XT60 connector but if you look around there are some that have it already so you don't have to solder a connecter on the ESC. It just depends on what you want. So far I haven't had any problems with mine. It is cheap so you get what you pay for I guess. My simple cub probably has 50 flights in it so far and it all still works. Pick up a receiver for $20 and you have yourself a plane for under $50 that's fun as hell to fly AND when you try to land it on your roof and end up destroying it in the process, you're only out like $5 in foam. Plus the simple cub is a swappable series so you could always build more airframes and swap the pod in and out and still be way under $200.

You're still going to need control horns and music wire for the control rods but that stuff is cheap. I have a 3d printer and I print control horns and firewalls all the time. I don't know if you have one but if you do use that.

Anyway if you want to build have fun! They have videos for all their scratch builds on youtube. This is a good airplane to learn a scratch build on since there isnt any foam shaping.
ok great thank you I will try this

mastermalpass

Elite member
Its not an XT60 connector but if you look around there are some that have it already so you don't have to solder a connecter on the ESC.

Aw why've they gone and changed the connectors?! I used to buy packs all the time and I've already been soldering XT-60s onto stuff enough as it is! If you're wondering why I haven't bought any recently it's cause I kept losing them, forgetting I ever had them and then buying more. I've found them all since, so now I've got more motor+ESC set ups than I can think of planes for. 😂

As for the Cub, I've heard a few other on the forum say it's a bit of a challenge for newbies. I've heard much more praise for the Tiny Trainer and the Scout/Mini Scout. Dunno what people think of the FT Prop-in-slot parkjets, I did all my first flights on an RC Powers SU-34 V4, which is a prop-in-slot and I had a lot of fun with it. Crashed it about 10 times and 8 of those times I just had to make a new nose-cone.

Cnat

Aw why've they gone and changed the connectors?! I used to buy packs all the time and I've already been soldering XT-60s onto stuff enough as it is! If you're wondering why I haven't bought any recently it's cause I kept losing them, forgetting I ever had them and then buying more. I've found them all since, so now I've got more motor+ESC set ups than I can think of planes for. 😂

As for the Cub, I've heard a few other on the forum say it's a bit of a challenge for newbies. I've heard much more praise for the Tiny Trainer and the Scout/Mini Scout. Dunno what people think of the FT Prop-in-slot parkjets, I did all my first flights on an RC Powers SU-34 V4, which is a prop-in-slot and I had a lot of fun with it. Crashed it about 10 times and 8 of those times I just had to make a new nose-cone.
Only a couple have weird connectors. Most have the XT60. Ive never flown the Tiny Trainer or the Scout so I couldnt say. I think the cub handles really well on the ground and in the air, but I could see it maybe being a bit difficult for someone brand new to the hobby. My little one wants to get into the hobby so maybe ill try the Scout for him and see how it goes.

doboda90

want to build a rc plane but I don't know what to start with. I was thinking of getting something decently fast, decent at gliding. and upgradeable to fpv. I was considering the FT millennium Flerken but I'm a beginner-Intermediate pilot so I don't know if its a good first time build and something I can fly. Please post any suggestions within a 200 dollar price range for the plane, and about 100 for the transmitter. Thank you for your time and suggestions
Hello my friend!

JDSnavely

I recommend the Scout and Mini Scout if you plan to fly without a gyro. These fly as though they have stabilization. Tiny Trainer (4 channel) is beginner friendly with the F motor and 2S battery. Very fast with a 3S battery. Cub is great but taking off with a tail dragger takes some practice.

Cesoil

I want to build a rc plane but I don't know what to start with. I was thinking of getting something decently fast, decent at gliding. and upgradeable to fpv. I was considering the FT millennium Flerken but I'm a beginner-Intermediate pilot so I don't know if its a good first time build and something I can fly. Please post any suggestions within a 200 dollar price range for the plane, and about 100 for the transmitter. Thank you for your time and suggestions
Would love to see what you end up building.