First Flight and the Addiction Grows!

thebigbaker

Hi Everyone,

After spending some time multirotors, I actually stumbled upon FT looking for some multirotor items. After a couple of weeks watching the shows and reading the articles, I took the plunge and ordered the 3 pack swappable kit and built the three planes. Weather hasn't been great here in the Denver metro area, but I was finally able to go out yesterday and fly the FT Flyer for the first time and it was awesome!

Took a little time getting used to flying a plane, but once I got the handle of it...or at least comfortable enough to fly a few circles and figure 8s, it was a blast to fly. Sorry, no video of the flights and it probably would have been a little boring since I was just flying around in circles, but I did have a couple of crashes into the snow. Yet, after whipping the snow off, the Flyer flew like nothing had happened. I've already got a box of DTFB and traced out the parts for all 3 planes, so it's fun to fly and not have to worry about crashing it!

I went with the suppo 2208/14 1450kv motor set up w/ 8X4E prop and 3S 1000mAh batter along w/ a couple of 3S 500mAh batteries and got a few 1300 batteries on the way. From what I've looked at through the other FT swappables, looks like there are a few others that should fly well with my set up. I'm thinking the Bloody Wonder, Old Fogey, Old Speedster, Versa and Spitfire should all fly well w/ what I have. I do intend on going ahead and getting the Twin Power Pack C from FT, so I should be covered for just about all the planes, right? Also, those minis look fun too and will be getting the twin mini power pack for those.

Thanks to FT and all that contribute to the forum as you all really made this very easy to enter into this hobby. I've had so much fun building these 3 planes and had my 5-yr-old daughter help build them and even let here decorate the FT Flyer...which was perfect as she colored and decorated it with a "Frozen" theme complete w/ "Frozen" stickers and we took it out for its maiden while there was still 5 inches of snow on the ground!

Welcome to the Flite Test family! This community is amazing. Everyone is extremely helpful and if you look through the scratchbuit forum, there are a lot of swappable planes made by the community. I definitely recommend building the Bloody Wonder next. If you decide to build it, use these plans and build the Bloody Wonder MKIII. SPONZ did an amazing job making alterations for durability and stability.

The Bloody Wonder was my first plane after learning on a multi rotor. Very easy plane to fly. I used a Turnigy 2822 1450kv motor with an 8x4.5 SF prop and that thing zipped through the air with a awesome woooosh sound at full throttle.

Last edited:

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Always fantastic to hear of sucess. My first swappable was the bloody wonder too, but I had become a good pilot beforehand with gliders and motor gliders.

I am not totally new to multirotors, but I am much better just one or two (sometimes 3 actually) motors that face forward.
Glad to hear it!!

thebigbaker

Thanks for the suggestion on the Bloody Wonder MKIII, will definitely give this one a try. By the time it stops snowing here in Denver, I'll probably have 5-6 planes ready to go!