Recommended twin?

Since returning to RC planes I want to finally build a twin - something that was not realistic with balsa/nitro. The Legacy is so far my first choice, but I am unsure about flying it as a belly lander and the landing gear appears to be subpar. What do y'all recommend for a fun flying twin for an intermediate pilot? I would just default to the master's P38, but I don't think I can transport it in my Subaru Outback or VW Golf (I have yet to measure the cargo area tho). I am building the FT MS Spitfire right now after snapping the wings on the FT spitfire and enjoying the build.

Kzhurley

I really like the bronco with all 3 motors.
Also the tiny trainer is cool if you have a 3d printer and print pods to mount motors to wings and then use the glider nose as your battery tray. A blast on 4s with twin emax 2206 motors

I really like the bronco with all 3 motors.
Also the tiny trainer is cool if you have a 3d printer and print pods to mount motors to wings and then use the glider nose as your battery tray. A blast on 4s with twin emax 2206 motors
Thank you. The bronco looks really cool. I'll watch some vids on how it flies. The Guinea Pig looks intriguing too. I do have three identical motors, but they are all 3530s, so that thing would balistic. I also don't know how I'd split power three ways. With two motors it will still be in ludicrous mode and I can run with one battery. Have you flown a Bronco? Comments on that?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Try this one:
It would work great with those motors.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Thank you. The bronco looks really cool. I'll watch some vids on how it flies. The Guinea Pig looks intriguing too. I do have three identical motors, but they are all 3530s, so that thing would balistic. I also don't know how I'd split power three ways. With two motors it will still be in ludicrous mode and I can run with one battery. Have you flown a Bronco? Comments on that?
The Bronco is a GREAT twin, easy to build and a very good flyer belly lander or with gear. Going to over the winter try a Bronco with twin 50 mm edfs.

Foamforce

I have a Guinea Pig and a mini Guinea. The regular one is a very docile flier. Takeoff and landing is very controlled. Its overall handles nicely and the bomb bay is fun. The only particularly weak point is the little tail winglets. Whenever you set it down, it falls back onto those and the tail gets bent. Just keep an eye out for that. It’s a great plane though and impressive in the sky.

The mini Guinea is ok, but doesn’t fly quite as well. It’s a bit on the squirrelly side and the front landing gear doesn’t hold up to a moderately rough landing without reinforcement.

Brian B

Elite member
Tigercat. Absolutely wonderful flyer, great bellylander. Find The Hanger plans in the resources.
20210822_175502.jpg
20210814_140702.jpg
Screenshot_20210822-195218_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210822-190921_Gallery.jpg

Brian B

Elite member
The B-25 is iconic, but might require bit of master-series work to make it look right. On the other hand, I found the Tigercat looks great even with everything pretty boxy. The turtleback is just curved cardboard. The motor cowling is half-round foamboard, but it could easily be styled up. I did cheat some by 3D printing the removable nose cockpit. Both my Tigercat and similarly sized Master Series P-38 fit in my Outback, once you removed the noses. Lots of presence in the air.

Foamforce

The Guinea Pig and Mini Guinea do. Sea Duck doesn’t appear to. Hard to tell on the B25, it has a separate nose piece, but in the plans I can’t see any overlap but it might not be obvious.

The detachable nose has worked great on both my Guinea and the minis. It’s designed almost like a crumple zone and takes most of the damage. I nosed in my mini a couple times (elevator servo failure, 90 degrees directly into the ground) and besides the crushed nose, almost no other damage to the plane. It was pretty impressive.

The B-25 is iconic, but might require bit of master-series work to make it look right. On the other hand, I found the Tigercat looks great even with everything pretty boxy. The turtleback is just curved cardboard. The motor cowling is half-round foamboard, but it could easily be styled up. I did cheat some by 3D printing the removable nose cockpit. Both my Tigercat and similarly sized Master Series P-38 fit in my Outback, once you removed the noses. Lots of presence in the air.
Brian, are the nose sections of the P38 and the F7F removable by the plans, or did you modify them?

Brian B

Elite member
Brian, are the nose sections of the P38 and the F7F removable by the plans, or did you modify them?
Same basic answer as Foamforce. On both planes, the nose is where the battery is accessed....per the designs. With the nose on, neither will fit in my Outback, and with nose off and the battery tray exposed, they both easily fit.
They also would fit in my VW CC.
20231201_174332.jpg
20231201_174416.jpg