First Multirotor Build – Fortis Titan Tricopter

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I haven't updated this thread for a while and it so happens that I have some free time tonight waiting for spackle to dry (on a wall).

I got the Fortis flying with the default Naze settings for a tricopter. The defaults are poor and it didn't fly well. I tried David new Naze firmware and had more fun (read about it HERE). I had a lot of hard landings and many broken props (since switched to cheap Gemfans). The legs or landing gear on the Fortis are made out of laser cut Delrin and look like this -

May2015_MG_0095.jpg

The legs are simply attached to the boom with cable ties. You can choose the size and number. It's a nice design that fails at the cable tie. I was failing a lot and spent a good bit of time reattaching legs after each less than vertical landing. I needed something more forgiving while I was learning to fly this machine. My first idea was to take some slices of a 4" rubber pipe union. I cut the slices on my table saw and filled basement with thick smelly smoke.

611918018263lg.jpg

May2015_MG_0097.jpg

These worked, but not well. They are too flexible (almost floppy, especially when warm) and heavy. I was starting to think about just using some 4" PVC pipe when inspiration struck at the Dollar Store. At this same time I was trying to work out how to do something to the frame to help with orientation (I'm still just flying LOS). They had a 3 pack of softball sized wiffle balls two pink and one yellow. This solved of both of these issues. I present to you the Wifflecopter -

May2015_MG_0100.jpg

The orientation is great and they work good for landings. I'm not moving horizontally so fast anymore when I land and I fully intend to take these training wheels off eventually and put the OEM legs back on. I'll really miss the bright colors, but maybe some LEDs are in my future. I'm getting more comfortable with flying it and starting to find it relaxing.

Best Regards,
PCH

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I've been flying and enjoying my Titan for a while now, but only LOS. I haven't been crashing or flipping it at all. I still have the original set of Gemfans on it. I keep hoping they will break so I can put a nice balanced set on, but they won't die. The 10" 5.0s are great. It was getting boring flying this way so I decided to start my FPV career. I've had all of the gear for a while, but was too afraid of wrecking it until now. I have Fatshark goggles and a nice EZ-OSD set up with a 700 TVL CCD camera. My son spotted for me which was a great help. With his coaching, after a few batteries, I was doing better and feeling less panic. I suddenly started a tumble from around 50' and cut the throttle as my son yelled, you lost a prop. The nut had come off and of course I had not checked them before flight - DOH! They were black so we didn't bother searching too hard. lesson learned and now I can replace one prop......

Best regards,
PCH

Ludodg

We did hold a brief service commemorating the Titan's first sacrifice to the prop god.
lol! Will keep this in mind :)

Also a good idea about the softballs for landing gear. I like the aspect of being light, easy to assemble, and the bright colors.