First Tri-copter decision: Big or Small?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I want to get into FPV multi-rotors, and David's descriptions of "swooshieness" have convinced me that tri-copters are what I'm looking for. My only experience so far is with a mini Kodo quad, but I do have the Fatsharks and a board camera from an FPV UMX Vapor and a good pile of 3 cell batteries.

So what should I be looking for in a first tri-copter? I really like the looks of David's new RC Explorer mini-tricopter, but is it better as a noob to start with a larger copter frame? The larger FT Electrohub Tri-copter looks like a solid platform, as does the Simplecopter Tri-copter, but FT is out of power packs at the moment and Simplecopter leaves all the electronics selections up to the pilot (and I think as a noob I want to get a pre-matched electronics kit).

Any recommendations or guidelines from the more experienced tri-pilots out there? Is starting at the 250 or smaller scale just fine, or is is better to get some experience with a larger platform first?

Thanks,

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
My first multirotor was a Fortis Titan Tricopter with 16" booms.
http://www.fortisairframes.com/titan-tricopter-frame-kit/
He advertises here on FT. Excellent quality and service.
The only thing I've broken so far have been cable ties and I did crack the lower camera platform (large) after a few nose-ins......
I'm still flying with the cracked frame part (yay cable ties).
I have a new one (parts are readily available) and will replace it when my piloting skills improve.
I made the hybrid carbon fiber/wood booms and they seem indestructible.
My son (much more experienced multirotor pilot) has an original Batbone frame that was his first multirotor.
He just finished an RCExplorer Mini Tri and hopes to maiden it this weekend.

Best regards,
PCH

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I want to get into FPV multi-rotors, and David's descriptions of "swooshieness" have convinced me that tri-copters are what I'm looking for. My only experience so far is with a mini Kodo quad, but I do have the Fatsharks and a board camera from an FPV UMX Vapor and a good pile of 3 cell batteries.

So what should I be looking for in a first tri-copter? I really like the looks of David's new RC Explorer mini-tricopter, but is it better as a noob to start with a larger copter frame? The larger FT Electrohub Tri-copter looks like a solid platform, as does the Simplecopter Tri-copter, but FT is out of power packs at the moment and Simplecopter leaves all the electronics selections up to the pilot (and I think as a noob I want to get a pre-matched electronics kit).

Any recommendations or guidelines from the more experienced tri-pilots out there? Is starting at the 250 or smaller scale just fine, or is is better to get some experience with a larger platform first?

Thanks,

The V3 was/is my first tricopter. It has plenty of oomph to lift and fly my brick of a GoPro no problem. I could probably prop it up more for even more power but it is nice the way it is right now. I don't think David would recommend his mini for a new pilot. He continually says in blog posts how it is ballistic in nature...super fast in a straight line but difficult to slow it down for turning.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks for the info - I'm definitely not looking for a craft that could be described as "balistic" yet :)

Another point to consider is that the mini tri David Windestal sells is rather difficult to tune right. I started out with a "big" tricopter that was inspired by Davids earlier designs, and it flew great, I then switched to a naze32 to board (from a KK2) and it flew even better. I then cut the arms down and it was way way harder to get it flying right. The general tune was okay, but I never got it to stop making weird yaw movements when throttle-punching or fast in direction changes.

Hope this helps