Flight clubs in NE Ohio?

rdavenport764

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone was part of or interested in starting a flight club in NE Ohio? I have started getting into flying Rc planes and have always wanted a group to fly with. Weather it is a weekly or monthly event it doesn't matter I just want a group to fly with. Just as Josh says "Its no fun to fly alone."

abieex

Mentor
I live in Akron and generally fly at Stow Silver Springs. It would be great to have a group.

joker24458

I live in Kent and have two friends who I fly with, one also in Kent and another in Akron. We occasionally fly at CMAC (Corsair Model Aircraft Club, link: http://www.corsairmodelaircraftclub.com/index.html) but not so much anymore. There is no FPV allowed there and most of the guys don't like 3D (two of my by far favorite styles of flying). I'm sure we would all be interested if a new club that was FPV/3D friendly came up....

Also check out NEF. It is a pretty big indoor event in Akron that is coming up in a few months. The website is http://ohioelectricfly.com/.

abieex

Mentor
Im going to the indoor at Akron U tomorrow night from 730 to 1030 pm. Great flying, not crowded and big fun. Lazertoyz is usually there as well. A local club would be great but I want nothing to do with GMAC which is why I fly at Silver Springs and almost always by myself. I found GMAC to be very political and too many restrictive rules that made little sense!

joker24458

Im going to the indoor at Akron U tomorrow night from 730 to 1030 pm. Great flying, not crowded and big fun. Lazertoyz is usually there as well. A local club would be great but I want nothing to do with GMAC which is why I fly at Silver Springs and almost always by myself. I found GMAC to be very political and too many restrictive rules that made little sense!

Yes, I thought the same about CMAC, which is why I haven't flown there for months. Some of the guys there are pretty nice though, and I don't want to just go out and say that it is a horrible club with bad members. It is simply a more bureaucratic club that is rather limited in its general view of preferred flying style.

abieex

Mentor
I agree Joker. I like the Stow location cause its only 10 or 15 bucks per year and just a few simple rules. No restriction on FPV within already established rules and all flying forms seem welcome. My son and I have flown there a dozen times and have never seen anyone else! It would be great to have an FT chapter there but I don't begin to know how to organize it. If anyone would be interested please chime in and we can get it done.

krinaman

I guess that depends on how far north and east. Our club is a few miles over the border into PA although more central than north. I know there is (or used to be) a club up in Sharon Pa as well.

alan0043

Hi Guys,

I was hoping the same thing about flying in northeast Ohio. I was trying to find a club that flies mostly ft design planes in the Canton area. I have not flown yet. I am still building a plane or two. I have been working on the tiny trainer. I also would like to get my grandsons involved with the hobby. I understand that Flight Test is in North Canton.

Al

abieex

Mentor
I'm working on getting this together as we speak. Fired off some emails and made some phone calls. Lets see what happens.