Flite Fest 2014 Suggestion Box.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
That's awesome. There has to be one in the night building tent.

I'd like to see interviews with popular fliers or youtubers :)

Gryf

I don't know if this has been suggested elsewhere, but will we have plenty of AC available for recharging batteries? I plan to bring a bunch of batteries, but they'll need to be topped up eventually.

Also, how about parts? It would be cool if Local Hobby Shops or similar could set up vendors tents in case we need to replace a puffed battery, smoked ESC, dead servo, busted prop, whatever. I suspect FT's Build Tent will have plenty of parts on hand, but having spares available would help a lot.

I guess the same goes for foamboard and other raw materials. Being able to buy more board for repairs, etc., would be really nice.

Bravo to FT for having this event, and to the Fureys for hosting it! I hope to meet a lot of you there,

Gryf

Last edited:

Team_Monkey

The FAQ states there will be a charging station.
-FYI, if you're new and plan to charge from your car battery, make up an extension so the charger and LiPo are outside the car (or hood area) and on/in something protective. No one wants a burnt up vehicle.

As for parts, they've mentioned vendors in the podcasts. You can bet LazerToys and LukesRC will be there. Both of those stores are local. Maybe Aerotech will make a showing but they're more of a traditional brick and mortar store.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Also keep in mind . . . The charging stations might not be AC. Bringing the AC powersupply along is not a bad thing (as long as it's not HEAUGE), but be prepared to bring a DC plug with battery clips to power your charger -- that might be the plug you end up using.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I think it would be awesome to have someone from R.L. Adams Plastics there at the event. I bet they could show up with a trailer full of Readi Board and it would be empty by the end of the event.

. . . Or the Model Plane Foam guys. They sell a paperless version of the foramboard, rolled to spec by RL adams -- it's a cleaner, more consistant foam in longer, slightly thicker sheets (6mm IIRC) . . . also costs a bit more, but if you want paperless foam, you pay a touch more for the better quality.

http://flitetest.com/articles/Model_Plane_Foam

Somebody might also warn the local Dollar Trees that they'll have a surge that week . . . might just have DT ship a box there for you to pick up at one of the Canton Dollar Trees (sorry Malvern doesn't have one of their own).

crash bandicoot

Someone on the Flite Fest site asked about a small pool for floats. I would like to see that. I want to try out my FT Flyer on floats.

SteevyT

For the webcams, I wonder if they could set up an Arduino and servo to do a slow pan back and forth across the entire flightline, get them a little more viewing area.

SteevyT

What are the chances there could be internet hookups for people who want to upload (or maybe even live stream?) FPV flight?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
What are the chances there could be internet hookups for people who want to upload (or maybe even live stream?) FPV flight?

With 300-500 pilots + spectators on a private field/residence on the edge of a rural city that's barely been prepped for an event of this size?

As much as I like wifi (I'd love to be wrong about this), I think the chances are between slim and none . . .

Team_Monkey

Also recall that WiFi operates on 2.4GHz.
Do you really want a constant, really powerful noise signal next to you? I don't.

Gryf

Good point, Team_Monkey. I'd suggested wifi myself earlier, but it might not be workable.

As for other suggestions, it would be nice to have an air-conditioned place to hang out if the heat and humidity become oppressive. I live in the Midwest, and am all too familiar with our summers.

Gryf

Mytchak

KG5CZA
Dan,

Agreed and one other thing to think about is cell congestion. With 300+ people in a remote location, not sure what to expect as far as bandwidth. I am not counting on having reliable cell service at the event. If everyone is checking email, facebook, cell calls, basic web surfing between flights, and wi-fi hot spots, we may see some really poor performance on our cell phones.

Please be aware - I'm not qualified to speak to cell performance. I have suffered unreliable cell coverage during concerts and events and that's what I'm basing my comments on.

-David

With 300-500 pilots + spectators on a private field/residence on the edge of a rural city that's barely been prepped for an event of this size?

As much as I like wifi (I'd love to be wrong about this), I think the chances are between slim and none . . .