!! Flite Test challenge and need some advice!!! Sorry if posted in wrong section

CruzingRc

1: I would like to buy a decent radio around 50$ good range for a plane maybe fpv?

2:Tried to make a simple glider and failed epically the body is still laying outside and the wings are in the trash tried to make cardboard wings but that was a bad idea might just scratch it and try some sort of fiberglass wing or something would it be to heavy? I usually repair boats with it but I feel like it could take some g-force not light as carbon but im on a budget and already have the glass and what not.

3:Anyone know or have and ideas on a slope soaring f3k Dlg type plane design?
I love scratch builds made a biplane when I was 16 out of dollar tree foam flew beautiful with a rock on the front but that was 5 almost 6 years ago when I first found out about park jets and foamies so yea I've looked around YouTube and found some crazy vacuum bag type thing but there has to be a different approach less insane looking. I think it would be awesome if Flite Test could do a F3k build challenge on a budget.

!!!Please help me out I want to fly so freaking bad the more I watch the more and more I crave flight help me out!!! Please
[/FONT]

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
1. Dunno. Decent is usually not cheap . . . well, not $50 cheap. Used radios with decent features can be found from time to time in that price range, but you have to look and wait for the deal and snatch it up. If you expanded your budget to $100 you'd have a wider market and under $200 is easy peasy.

For a bit of perspective . . . in a really bad crash, two things almost always survive: Your radio and your battery charger. When it comes time to spend your money, it's not a bad idea to put it in the parts that will last you the longest.

2.Glass is indeed heavy. Glass used on boats, probably even more. Most glass used on model airplanes is a MUCH lighter fabric. Carbon fabric can be $$$ but the price isn't in the crazy expensive range anymore. I can get carbon/Kevlar cloth for ~$30 a yard(50" width), and the resin is about that much more. That's a LOT of surface. ATM, I'm spec'ing out a 3m glider wing (sheeted foam core) designed for balsa sheeting and the lightweight balsa sheet would cost more, weight more, and be weaker to boot. 2 yards of cloth + resin and getting the bags made . . . it's not shoe-string budget, but compared to most things in this hobby, that's chump change.

3. DLG or F3K? One implies I'm taking a plane out for a spin (ha!) at the local park on the weekends. The other implies competition. For the former, a Whippit, Cheeper or DL-50 kit can get you flying for $50-100, easy. With a bit of know-how and care you can build a bug for less. There's even a few Foamboard DLG plans out there which will still run you ~$30-50 -- durability is lacking, but they fly fine.

Competition, they are not. For that, Kits are high three digit to four digit planes (unassembled, lacking electronics). I've been able to piece-part one together, scrimping and building where I can and the assembled airframe is now at ~$350 . . . which is ridiculously cheap for the performance I'm getting. That doesn't include the $50 worth of parts I've since swapped out, or the ~$50 worth of better radio gear and throwing peg I'm about to put in her. After building one of these things out, you get a solid appreciation for why the competitive birds cost so much more.

CruzingRc

THANK YOU SO MUCH XD

Thank you so much my budget can be expanded I was just wondering about things and you helped a lot ever since I saw the episode where David Windestal was doing that Dlg I was just like wow that is sick I used a old fishing pole and cardboard stuff went on my roof and did a full spin held together till it hit the ground but flew at least 20 seconds with no electronics just basic hand trim and tape, so I will definitely start looking around and it would be awesome to see your planes I may post some kits too and see what you think I really appreciate your input 1st person to reply glad to know that im not just talking to dead air lol good luck with flying and will be back shortly!!:D and one more thing Gliders in general? like when Flite Test went to cali and flew the wing and guinea no motor most planes in theory could be basic gliders? Im stoked must get this going inspired more and more everyday!!!! ahhh soo many questions so much to do so much to build!!!

CruzingRc

1:Spektrum DX6i 6-Channel DSMX Transmitter TX Radio Mode 2 for RC Aircraft
2:The Apollo 1550
3:Conscendo™ S RTF
4:Fling Sport Discus Launch Glider ARF
5:EP Epoxy Glider w/Motor 1410mm (Plug N Fly)

What do you think? Im not necessarily new to flying but not a pro would these be decent for me?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
1. Decent radio. A bit long in the tooth, but if you can find a good deal on one, it'll do most of what anyone would want. It'll do basic launch and cruise modes easily, and DSMX clone receivers are cheap.

2. Pretty airframe . . . heavy, but pretty. Flies fine, and a good launch trainer. Worth it? At $75 w/o electronics it isn't bad, but it isn't great either.

3. I've seen one fly at SEFF this year, and the pilot (who admitted this was his first glider) flew it respectably well. From all reports and what I've seen, HH has done well with this one. You could still go with the Radian (not Pro) for less -- while you'll loose the ailerons and AS3X, you probably won't miss them. Keep in mind, in RTF packages you're also paying for a radio, and in most cases it's a low-end one. BNF models come ready to bind to any Spektrum radio.

4. Older DLG . . . not really that great by modern standards, but great planes makes great planes. Worth it? Maybe. Better on the market for less? Yup.

5. Don't have any experience with this one, but looks like a nice motor-glider. Price is a bit weird going local or international warehouse. From the spec'ed power system should have a fairly energetic climb, and from all appearances she looks pretty clean. I'd be leery of flying her low-and-slow -- doesn't look like she has a forgiving stall or a wide speed envelope . . . could be wrong about that . . . but Balsa can get splintery in a cartwheel.

Assuming you've got good skill in maintaining orientation and what control does what, you should be able to fly any of these. For motor glider I'd lean you toward an Allegro, Radian or Calypso. For DLG, as silly as it sounds to suggest a Side-Arm-Launch, start with a Whipit, and move up from there.