Flite Test Maker Foam Board

nheather

Hi,

Quick question about the Flite Test Maker Foam Board. Trying to buy some in the UK, and I am finding product that they claim to be Flite Test Maker Foam but it is 5/16" thick. I naturally assumed that there are two thicknesses but when I check the official Flite Test store there is just one thickness 3/16".

The stuff I've found in the UK is also a 40" x 20" sheet folded in two - so effectively two 30" x 20" sheets joined together.

But is this the genuine stuff - it seems to have dimensions that aren't available in the Flite Test store.

quorneng

Master member
According to Steve Webb Models web site their bifold Maker Board is 8.5mm thick. Pretty close to 5/16.
In a direct comparison to the 3/16 Flight Test Maker board it would be significantly heavier.

nheather

According to Steve Webb Models web site their bifold Maker Board is 8.5mm thick. Pretty close to 5/16.
In a direct comparison to the 3/16 Flight Test Maker board it would be significantly heavier.
Yes I get that - but they (and every UK seller) are calling it Flite Test Maker Board, not some other brand - that is what is confusing me because when I look at the Flite Test store that product does not exist.

quorneng

Master member
The maker board sold by Flight Test in the US is 3/16" thick Adams Ready Board.
The Flight Test 'water resistant' Maker Board is 8.5mm thick. It is also made by Adams. It has a Flight Test number FLT2105.
In the UK it appears only the thicker water resistant board is imported into the UK

nheather

The maker board sold by Flight Test in the US is 3/16" thick Adams Ready Board.
The Flight Test 'water resistant' Maker Board is 8.5mm thick. It is also made by Adams. It has a Flight Test number FLT2105.
In the UK it appears only the thicker water resistant board is imported into the UK
Thanks, it certainly does seem that way. I can easily find the 5/16” stuff and even when a store does list the 3/16” stuff it is out of stock, and given the price, looks like it has been out of stock for some time.

Ideally, I want the genuine 3/16” stuff but given that seems impossible can anyone recommend some equivalents or close alternatives.

quorneng

Master member
You could use the 5mm laminate underlay XPS foam from B&Q. It is not paper covered but having built a FT plane you could cover it with brown? paper glued on with a suitable adhesive. The foam board is grey or green
The 5mm foam board is light and fairly rigid. You can certainly make planes from it with some reinforcement in the appropriate positions without an overall paper covering.
This Hawker Hunter with a 50mm EDF is made from B&Q 5mm underlay and has no paper covering. The EDF ducting is 3D printed
Complete2.JPG

Light for its size, so its an easy hand launch, only needs a 3s LiPo and flies very nicely.
I have 4 other EDFs built the same way & all from one pack. I still have some boards left over.