FliteFest West - How Big is "Too" Big

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Im still debating if i should bring my 40lb 120" guinea pig. Its a pain in the rear to transport.
14099543_580858312085363_731372127_n(1).jpg

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
@thenated0g - Bring it! Looks like you could straddle it and fly it to Vallejo from Lakeport.

DamoRC

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
thenated0g wha- huh, how..uhhh.......is there another thread? what did you use to make it? come on man facts!! :p:applause:

thenated0g

Mentor
Sorry wasnt getting any reply notifications. Yeah its made from 1/2 inch foam board. Some door skin plywood internally in the body. Some aluminum spars. I gotta see if i have room for it to bring.

FlyingFoam

Thenated0g, please bring your giant plane, it looks so cool I would love see it fly and I think most people there would too.

DamoRC, are you flying at the baylands? hopefully you are or or I am going to look quite dumb.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
@userofmuchtape&glue
That looks soooo cool! the elevator was a bit sensitive from the look of it...

Thanks! It may have a little too much elevator authority and I could probably afford to cut the throws down. In fact I will need to spend a little time adjusting all of the throws to make it a little more comfortable to fly and I think I need to add a tad more down thrust to the motors.
All it all it was a nerve wracking experience. It was more windy than I would have liked for this maiden, but with time running out to FF West and having limited flying days left, I needed to see if it would fly this weekend. The first minute or so I was trying to fly it "bank-and-yank" and that it just not going to work for this beasty. Once I started introducing a little rudder, it settled down a little.
All that being said, I didn't have to change any of the trims and I will be more confident the next time we throw her up.

@FlyingFoam
DamoRC, are you flying at the baylands? hopefully you are or or I am going to look quite dumb.

Yep - flying at Baylands. Just started there a couple of weeks ago. Used to fly at Bayfront but work/life took over for a while and then they banned RC from the park. I really like the field and people at Baylands. Do you fly there?

DamoRC

FlyingFoam

I normally fly at rancho San Antonio, I like the runwayish area and I think the people there are great too. You should come some time, the golden time is just before they close so the sun is behind the mountains.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
The 160 inch at FF West

Just to finish the story with the 160 inch, 4-plane.

We assembled the 4 planes with a view to flying during the second combat on Saturday....

IMG_2567.JPG

And dressed her up with streamers to make her an easier target. Unfortunately, the second combat was cancelled (or at least postponed) and so we decided to throw her up anyway. In our nervousness, we did not take any video or pics so I have none to share except this one from the Flite Test Facebook page (is there any way to just insert an embed code for images from other sites, I am not sure its okay for me to use this image)

FT FB.jpg

I hope that some of her flight will make it into FT video (or if any of you have video or photos to share that would be great). I can tell you that I tried to roll her and managed to survive it.

There was no way I was going to try and land her on the runway because there were too many people, so I landed out in the field which was a little on the rough side. One of the wings cracked during the landing.

One the Sunday, I returned with the three planes, one to fly as a single, and two to fly as a twin. Again no pictures of the before, but this is a picture after I put the twin up for combat with streamers on.

IMG_2585.JPG

She was hit right smack in the middle of joined wings, ripping each half from its respective fuse.

Two new FliteFest friends, Josh from Marin and Harry from NZ - a crazy pair - convinced me that we could fix this. We removed the broken wings and hot glued the spars back in with the tailfeathers touching.

IMG_2587.JPG

With Harry launching, this plane flew beautifully and landed cleanly. So I put her up for the last combat on Sunday, but she developed a serious roll problem and I only stayed up for 30 seconds or so before killing her.

All in all, this was a lot of fun, from four planes to two planes to one and a half planes.

Definitely doing something like this again for next year!

DamoRC

thenated0g

Mentor
not sure if you saw my comment on facebook flitetest fans page, but i didnt even realize this was you even though you hung out at our table all day thursday. I noticed the 5 planes but figured you just brought a bunch of extras lol.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks Nate. Thanks Harry. Had a lot of fun with you guys and hope to see both of you again next year!

I'm chuffed that two iterations of the plane made it into the FT video, the opening shot of the 2 plane and the segment on the four plane. Nice to be able to see how pretty she was in the air, I couldn't appreciate it while flying her because she was a handful.

Bigger and better next year?

DanoRC