Help! For my 12 year old son

Thecatholicdad

Greetings all!

I have been looking forward to joining the community for some time now. My son and I have flown toy quads and he’s finally ready to get into fixed wing. A neighbor recommended the OMP Hobby T720. We are all set on that front, but I need help staying ahead of the curve.

I know he’s going to want to build something soon. I have been looking at buying the Flight test tutor kit, but I need help with the transmitter/receiver piece. I have a Taranis QX7 with an iRangeX multi protocol module (we were trying to get it to fly the toy quad Symax5c which never really worked…)

What receiver should I buy to take advantage of this transmitter? I would be much obliged to anyone that could help demystify this first step…

Thanks in advance!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This page has some of the detailed information on binding procedures. it seems to work with:
  • Flysky (Generation I protocol, based on A7105, tested)
  • Hubsan (Based on A7105, tested)
  • Frsky (Based on CC2500, tested)
  • Hisky (Based on 24L01, tested)
  • V2x2 (Based on 24L01)
  • DSM2 / DSMX (Based on CYRF6936, tested)
It is in essence what became standard internal in the T16s nowadays. This means most Rx modules should be able to connect and work great with it.

https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/electronics/irangex-irx4-plus-24ghz-4-1-stm32-multiprotocol-tx-module

boogieloo

Don't worry. This is a fun topic. And can be a rewarding one too. Someone already said it, Nature is our best teacher.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
My advice is buy either FRsky genuine receivers, or use Radiomaster receivers which also use the same D8 FRsky protocol. You won't need to use the multi protocol module, as the receivers will bind straight to the Taranis and give you a strong reliable signal. Not sure how old your QX 7 is and whether firmware is set up for LBT or FCC. So be careful when your buying FRsky receivers, you can flash the receiver with the different firmware but it is easier to use the same software as setup on your transmitter.
Regards receivers you can pick up some real bargains on Aliexpress and occasionally Banggood. The Radiomaster receivers will be a lot cheaper to buy than the FRsky genuine receivers. Don't be deceived the price, the quality is very good I use them a lot and find them very reliable. The range on these receivers is over 1km, which is way beyond the requirement of fixed wing models.
1635201620310.png
I use these quite a bit too, fairly cheap now as newer models are taking over. There is no telemetry on these but for a basic reliable receiver they are great value.
1635201726013.png
These are probably my favorite receiver at the moment, great value for money come in 6ch and 8ch versions with telemetry built in and an S Port for additional telemetry modules, plus an SBus socket ideal for connecting to drones/quads via the flight control module (for the future ;)).
1635201997188.png
Radiomaster R86C 6ch receiver I have a few of these, simple bind process again these have SBus capability or PWM connections and uses D8 protocol.
1635202138380.png
This is a Radiomaster 4ch receiver, light weight ideal for small models and compatible with Taranis as it uses D8 protocol and has the same 1km range as the bigger 6ch version.
Hope you find this useful.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
heard some bad things about the t720
I bought one for my mate from Banggood over a year ago, he is a complete novice. I thought it was a great little plane for a beginner, plus under 250g so no registration or trainer and buddy lead needed. Good 15 min flight time too, the only down side is the flight stabilisation I hate being controlled :mad:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
i had the s720, rated much better. but the direct drive servos were difficult. i bypassed the gyro with a sat rx and my own tx. much better with low rates and expo
I must admit I looked at the S720 and was tempted to buy one, it was the gyro/flight stabilisation that put me off.
1635204552199.png

bisco

Elite member
i'll say one thing for it, the epp is tough as nails, and the snap together design amazing.

every crash resulted in a quick reassembly with no damage other than broken prop.

it is a decent flyer at a good price

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
i'll say one thing for it, the epp is tough as nails, and the snap together design amazing.

every crash resulted in a quick reassembly with no damage other than broken prop.

it is a decent flyer at a good price
Might add it to my wish list again and follow your lead regards the upgrade omitting the FC/Gyro. I have a Polaris next on my list, I need another Sea plane in case it snows this year.

daxian

Elite member
hi ....
i have the same set up (qx7 and irangex multi module )which i upgraded to from the flysky i6 ...as i had over thirty models with flysky i6 recievers and did not want to lose my investment in them ....
i find the i6 rx to be very reliable (and cheap at about £12 in the uk ),i also have a few frsky rx's (at twice the price only a few lol)...cheapskate pensioner...yup i know !!!

Thecatholicdad

Thank you all for your quick and very informative posts! I never imagined I would get this much of a response this quickly. I am very grateful!

I’ve got a receiver ordered and you’ve all given me a lot of vocabulary that is pointing me in new directions so that I can start educating myself.

You are all awesome! Special thanks to TheFlyingBritt who’s post immediately got me through the woods of confusion.