Frog Junior Sailplane scratchbuild

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wow - an amazing job on the repair - especially for someone working with tissue for the first time! Personally I thought it would have been a lot more difficult to get it back to that kind of shape, and when I think of the repairs I did to smashed up Guillows planes back in middle school.... :cautious:

But this thread is definitely inspiring me to use tissue on my next UMX sized build for that classic beauty! Thanks!

TooJung2Die

Master member
I'll second the tissue paper covering. You might remember the "Twin Cyclone" I built this year. It's covered with tissue instead of the much more durable Doculam. I thought it would be shredded by now but the tissue has held up. No repairs whatsoever after many flights. Tissue looks awesome and it's light weight is hard to beat. A 35" wingspan RC airplane that only weighs about 7 ounces? One big reason is the tissue.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
not really, sadly. It hasn't been flown very much and also being tiny tracking it with a camera is pretty much an exercise in futility. We actually almost lost it once because we dropped it from another airplane and it hit a pretty strong thermal and almost got carried out of sight (which isn't very high)

Quinlan Sauter

All patched back up. Nothing was re-covered - I got to see the plane and you can see the seam where the wing was patched just barely, which pretty much doesn't show up at all in this picture. It hides itself pretty well most of the time. The one on the fuselage is more visible, but it still looks just fine.

He also added a little hatch with a Tyvek hinge that covers the battery compartment.

View attachment 181336
what kind of tissue was used?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Well that didn't take long did it? :rolleyes:

View attachment 180210

He told me that this is all ground-induced damage from a bad launch. I'm relieved actually, as that means the wing didn't fold up in the air (which would be a construction error on my behalf!) Hard to tell since this is the only picture he sent, but it looks repairable. He's going to give the plane back to me to fix it sometime. Just a broke wing and some crunching in the fuselage which should be pretty easy to rectify with some carefully placed CA. It'll need a patch or two, but that's not my task to do...
I built a simliar keilkraft cub, and it broke instantly..... made a dtfb fuselage, and it wennt out of ballance. impossible to fly