Ft dart landing issue

Jacob Grant

So I recently built the ft dart and it’s a really cool plane and flys good and very fast. My only issue with it is that landing it is very difficult without bending propellers. Because the propellers are in the front of the plane, and the plane is a wing so it’s flat, every time I land, it bends the propellers, and I’ve already broken 3 propellers in 2 days. Even when I land soft the propellers still bend, is their a way I can prevent this from happening?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Firstly I recommend that you remove any ESC braking, and cut the throttle completely just before you touch down.

If that still causes a problem buy and fit a prop saver or a folding prop and spinner to suit the motor shaft diameter.

Have fun!

Jacob Grant

Firstly I recommend that you remove any ESC braking, and cut the throttle completely just before you touch down.

If that still causes a problem buy and fit a prop saver or a folding prop and spinner to suit the motor shaft diameter.

Have fun!
So I just have a few questions, so I’m new to flying rc planes and this is my first one so I’m not really sure what ESC breaking is. Also I’m using 3 blade propellers, to propeller savers work on 3 blade propellers?

slembcke

I have the same problem with mine. :-\ It flew poorly from the start, and constantly bending props hasn't endeared it to me. I've had to re-glue the motor mounts too. Even "soft" landings wear on them eventually.

Sadly not really an option with 3x3x4.5 pros.

Jacob Grant

I have the same problem with mine. :-\ It flew poorly from the start, and constantly bending props hasn't endeared it to me. I've had to re-glue the motor mounts too. Even "soft" landings wear on them eventually.

Ya dude it’s really enoying when your plane breaks every time I land

Jacob Grant

I’m not sure if ft spear would be better cus it has its propeller in the back

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So will it work if my propellers at pretty small? If so then I definitely want to try prop savers
I have used 3 blade props from around 3 inch to around 6 inch on a prop saver without any real issue.

On the small props I use a single rubber ring whereas on the larger props I can fit as many as 3 rings to provide sufficient tension to stop the prop lifting off due to motor thrust.

With a pusher a single ring would be sufficient as there is not motor thrust trying to remove the prop from the mount.

I also source my "O" rings from the tops of balloons as they have superior stretch and strength, and they are so very cheap!

DSCF0030.JPG

Have fun!

Jacob Grant

I have used 3 blade props from around 3 inch to around 6 inch on a prop saver without any real issue.

On the small props I use a single rubber ring whereas on the larger props I can fit as many as 3 rings to provide sufficient tension to stop the prop lifting off due to motor thrust.

With a pusher a single ring would be sufficient as there is not motor thrust trying to remove the prop from the mount.

I also source my "O" rings from the tops of balloons as they have superior stretch and strength, and they are so very cheap!

View attachment 133430

Have fun!
Ok well I’ll try it out, thx!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
You could also add a launch skid... A double layer of foam deep enough to clear the prop. Profile is small for low drag.