FT Design & Safe Technology

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I was not sure were to post this question I have. I am getting more a more into the hobby. I am learning to fly with the help of a buddy box. My plane is a simple scout that I scratch built. I see that there is a system ( Safe Technology ) in planes that are sold my Horizon. Now to my question. Has anyone built a FT design plane using some kind of Safe Technology ? I want to keep learning to fly with out the help of a buddy box. Can SAFE be bought with out buying the whole plane ? And if so, where do I find it ? There could be more questions later.

Please post your thoughts. I am open to all input.
Al

Bricks

Master member
You will need a DSMX capable radio first and yes you can buy Spektrum AR636A receivers that are programable to be used in different types of planes.

FDS

Elite member
There are lots of alternative stabilisers that can help you out. You don’t need to buy a SAFE enabled one and be stuck in the DSMX eco system, many of them are cheaper as well. They might not have all the features but by the time you are done buddy boxing you shouldn’t need the recovery switch.
Proper rates and some care in the setup of your radio can give smooth flights, relying on auto correction of orientation is a bad habit to get into vs learning to correct yourself or how to avoid stalls etc.

Bricks

Master member
Alann was asking about SAFE and Spektrum is the only one I know that offers that, as FDH said there are other options if you want just a stabilizing unit and not have SAFE..

alan0043

Many of the other stabilisers or things like the ZOHD Kopilot offer switch controlled stability levels, flight modes and even return to home.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the replies. The reason the I used the words ' Safe Technology ' that is the only system I have heard about. I was going to ask a question or too about any other system out there. And it looks look there is another stabilizer system out there. I don't want a system that has all the bells and whistles. The simpler the better. I also don't want to relay on the system to get me out of trouble. The plan is to shut the system down after I have some more stick time. I just want the system when to help keep learning. Is there any links that I should look at ? I will have Google ZOHD Kopilot. I want to keep the cost as low as possible.

Please keep the input coming,
Al

Reactions: FDS

Arcfyre

Elite member
What kind of radio are you using now?

If Spektrum, check out this: LemonRX LM0044

$20 cheaper than the AR636, and easier to program. Compatible with Spektrum and has 3 programmable modes: off, gyro stabilizer, and autolevel.

Last edited:
Reactions: FDS

alan0043

What kind of radio are you using now?

If Spektrum, check out this: LemonRX LM0044

$20 cheaper than the AR636, and easier to program. Compatible with Spektrum and has 3 programmable modes: off, gyro stabilizer, and autolevel.

Hi Arcfyre,

The radio that I am using is a Spektrum DX5e. I don't think my radio is compatible to the LemonRX LM0044 from what I have read. Might need to get another radio.

Al

Arcfyre

Elite member
Hi Arcfyre,

The radio that I am using is a Spektrum DX5e. I don't think my radio is compatible to the LemonRX LM0044 from what I have read. Might need to get another radio.

Al

The DX5e uses the DSMX protocol, so it will work with the LM0044.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
SAFE is great technology, it works very well. However I have seen some become dependent on it, they never learn to fly without the tech. I always encourage a new pilot to turn off SAFE as soon as possible.

If you want to get off the buddy box, the next step is to fly with an experienced pilot at your side. I generally stand beside a new pilot longer than I have them on a buddy box.

Bricks

Master member
When it comes to stabilizing receivers most do not have the safe system that Horizon has, they help keep the plane level when the sticks are released, but will not recover a plane in a really bad situation at the press of a button...... Just an FYI.