FT Flyer

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Josh and Josh review this great little scratch built plane. The FT Flyer is based off of the classic Blu Dart. Our version of this model was built for about $38 in parts, including the battery.

Plans for the original Blu Dart:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599674&highlight=bludart&page=4

Parts List:
$3.50 GWS EP Propeller (RD-8043 203x109mm) (6pcs/set)
$7.15 Turnigy 28-22-azj 7A 1400Kv Brushless Outrunner
$11.50 TURNIGY Plush 18amp Speed Controller
$4.16 Turnigy 500mAh 2S 20C Lipo Pack
$2.90 Light Foam Wheel (Diam: 30, Width: 12mm 5pcs/bag)
$2.77 Turnigy 1370A Servo 3.7g/0.4kg/.10sec
$2.77 Turnigy 1370A Servo 3.7g/0.4kg/.10sec
$0.43 Light Plane Plastic Part set (10pcs)
$1.00 Foam Board

see_article.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Guess: something around 10 minutes.

I have a small wing that goes with a similar setup (not quite the same) and I can get about 8/9 minutes.

Another plane I have weighs a bit more and that cuts down my length in flight to 6 minutes.

The FT Flyer is very light as well so I guess about 10 minutes following my reasoning up there.

PyroMan

Thanks ananas1301. I was expecting something along the lines of that.
One other question though. . . I am building this out of Dollar Tree cheap foam board, should I peel off the paper and just use the foam or leave it on? I don't know if the paper will be too much of a weight issue if I leave it on or if I take it off will it not be strong enough.

ananas1301

Hey Pyroman

I have actually got no idea about how good your material is, but there is a little trick to try out.

What you can do is calculate the density of the material and then compare it to Depron or EPP etc. any of those light weight stuff.

If it is way over the other ones then it might be too heavy of not its fine. Anyway, but a better motor ESC combo would be just fine as well. You could take one that is a little stronger. So up to you now what you want to do.

PyroMan

Since the foam board is only a dollar, I'll probably just leave the paper on. Maybe later on down the road I may make another plane with no paper, swap the electronics, and see how they compare.
Thanks for you help

ananas1301

Yeah that would probably be the best thing to do anyway. I wouldn´t see the point in doing what I suggested with a board that just costs 1 dollar.

But some people still do so I thought I´ll just mention it :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Dolarazo, but no foam there. :( I can get only the crappy expanded polystyrene sheets for a dollar.

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
Ewwww! You'd have better luck cutting up an old beer cooler. You should have one of us ship you a case of Dollar Tree foam and you could go into business as the local supplier.
Dolarazo, but no foam there. :( I can get only the crappy expanded polystyrene sheets for a dollar.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I had a go at building one of these in EPP (prefer it to depron). It worked out quite well. Got rid of the box fuselage for an outline set up instead. Same specs as the FT one, but might be better for those prone to crashing:D

Rcjim11

Looks good Sam! I just flew my 2nd dart today and it was much better than the last due to the KFm2 airfoil, you may want to try that in the future.
Jim

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
What about EPS? This should work with a few mods?
Do you mean polystyrene? That stuff is way too brittle for planes

Looks good Sam! I just flew my 2nd dart today and it was much better than the last due to the KFm2 airfoil, you may want to try that in the future.
Jim
Cheers, I might try that air foil on a future plane but I plan on flying this one indoors, so it's mainly in high alpha and the air foil makes little difference. Only tested it in the garden though lol

ricknoon

First Maiden flight with my FT Flyer this morning and this thing rocks! No wind and about 50 degrees weather.

Plenty of power as I used a HobbyKing 2312 Brushless Outrunner 2000KV. I had a blast climbing vertical and then chasing/diving after birds at the park. My first build was Mikeys FPV V3 so I wasn't use to the amount of thrust and range of speed this little flyer could produce.

I had a few setbacks, I hooked up a Frsky VD5M with micro servo to standard servo connectors and didn't have enough power. I switched to a larger receiver without the micro servo connecters and problem solved.

Last edited:

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
First Maiden flight with my FT Flyer this morning and this thing rocks! No wind and about 50 degrees weather.

Plenty of power as I used a HobbyKing 2312 Brushless Outrunner 2000KV. I had a blast climbing vertical and then chasing/diving after birds at the park. My first build was Mikeys FPV V3 so I wasn't use to the amount of thrust and range of speed this little flyer could produce.

I had a few setbacks, I hooked up a Frsky VD5M with micro servo to standard servo connectors and didn't have enough power. I switched to a larger receiver without the micro servo connecters and problem solved.

Any pictures:p