FT linkage stoppers

Andreas

Just finished my Bloody Wonder SPK. Bought the FT linkage stoppers. Problem is the servo arms that came with my Suppo servos are so thick that when I tighten the tiny little nuts on the stoppers, they won't swivel. I backed off the nuts enough so that they move and put a dab of hot glue on the nut to hold it in place. Is this acceptable? That nut coming loose in flight would be a bad thing. Anyone have a similar experience? Any other suggestions? 20161126_171231.jpg

earthsciteach

That's the same thing I do with mine. I should work just fine. You can also use thread lock to secure the nuts.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I have had hot glue come off after a couple flights - prefer thread lock or nail polish now.

Bricks

Master member
I take my servo arms and sand them down a touch so I can tighten the nut and it still moves freely. Or install the pushrod keepers on the control horn of the surface. I too have had hot melt come loose from the nut and vibrate completely off......as you said not good.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I usually use a dab of medium CA to secure the nuts. I haven't had one come loose in flight yet.

The key word in that sentence is medium CA. Thin CA will seep in and lock up your servos. Ask me how I know. :black_eyed:

Also, if you start using white gorilla glue instead of hot glue for building, DON'T mount your servos with the white gorilla glue. It will seep in through cracks in the case and lock up your servos. Again, ask me how I know. :black_eyed:

Swimjim

CA will only stick your fingers together. It never holds on what you want it too. Blue Locktite is the way to go. I've used red too, but it is harder to undo if you need to do so.

kacknor

Build another!
Hate to pile on, but hot glue, in my experience will fall off followed shortly by the nut. File the arm a little thinner, then use blue Loctite.

Best way. Not saying that CA or nail polish or paint or whatever wont (except the hot glue), but this works every time and it's what the stuff is made for. :D

JD

Grauwulf

If you're going to use blue loctite, do yourself a favor and get the version that looks like a glue stick, instead of the liquid. Way less mess that way and it stays where you put it.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Hate to pile on, but hot glue, in my experience will fall off followed shortly by the nut. File the arm a little thinner, then use blue Loctite.

Best way. Not saying that CA or nail polish or paint or whatever wont (except the hot glue), but this works every time and it's what the stuff is made for. :D

JD

I use a dremel tool with a sanding tip and make the arm thinner that way. it seems to work well. I also use locktite, blue liquid. I put a couple of drops on a paper towel then dip the fastener into it, less mess and works well.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
If you're going to use blue loctite, do yourself a favor and get the version that looks like a glue stick, instead of the liquid. Way less mess that way and it stays where you put it.

I'll have to look for that. I've had blue liquid wick its way between the stopper and the arm and prevent the linkage stopper from rotating.

Mike

kacknor

Build another!
I'll have to look for that. I've had blue liquid wick its way between the stopper and the arm and prevent the linkage stopper from rotating.

Mike

Oh yeah. In fact I kind of counted on it. I just wait until it's dry and then backed the nut off a tiny fraction at a time until it's free. Today I don't use them. It's clevis's on the RTF or other larger planes and on the FT small planes I just use the modified Z-Bend and forget the stopper altogether. Took a few tries, but it's fair easy when you get used to it. No small parts to drop from my fat fingers!

JD

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
41MY3zGLdqL.jpg

This is what I use. The discs don't come loose, and while they're a slight pain to snap on, I haven't run into the problem of the servo horn being too thick...

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Old school, I am not sure why more people don't use this type...why don't I? They actually make a tool to snap the plastic piece on.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Extremely Old School:

Before linkage stoppers the pushrod would be fixed length with 2 "Z" bends and the servo mounted on a wooden platform which had slots in the sides and through the slots 2 locking screws would tighten into the servo rails. When the plane was properly trimmed the servo platform could be permanently fixed in position with a few drops of glue put into the slots.

For recent times fit the linkage stopper on the control horn and you will easily find any loose or missing locking nuts during your pre-flight inspection. You would not need to dig into your fuselage to check them and then struggle to tighten or replacement in a location with little room.