What swappable plane should I build next?

BenH

I am looking to build a new RC airplane, preferably a Flite Test Swappable plane.

I have built both the 4 channel Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer, and the FT Nutball. I feel very comfortable flying both of them, and I’d like to progress to another Swappable plane since I’m limited on electronics.

I have looked into both the FT Bloody Wonder and the FT Delta. I hear that the Bloody Wonder is pretty difficult to fly, and the FT Delta doesn’t fly that well, but these are my top choices so far. What plane would you recommend?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
The FT Spitfire and the Simple Scout are both really good fliers. The Scout is my go to plane for a fun flight even if I'm feeling a little rusty.

Foamforce

Check out the index if you haven’t already.

I agree on the Scout being a good plane to fly and easy to build. If you’re looking to progress to a plane that takes off and lands on landing gear, it‘s good for that too.

ColoFlyer

I also agree with the Scout. Easy to fly and easy to build. If you are looking for a swappable plane that you can use the electronics from your Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer, then you could build the Might Mini Scout and slide in the power pod from your Tiny Trainer.

flyranger

Anything but the Simple Cub. Built three time, enormous amount of adverse yaw spins to the grass after takeoff. Scrapped.

Attachments

• 20230819_085320.jpg
    20230819_085320.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Anything but the Simple Cub. Built three time, enormous amount of adverse yaw spins to the grass after takeoff. Scrapped.
I'm with you on the Cub. Not a good third or fourth plane, need some piloting skills before you can launch-fly-land-repeat.

Gazoo

Simple Scout is a great flyer. You don't even have to cut in the scallops on the wings to make it more simple.

I also think the Storch is a really nice flyer. Very trainer like and gentile. I have never made one with the complex landing gear as it looks heavy and a little difficult to get right. Just use the same method used on the Cub or Scout.

Good Luck!

Andy.T.

I'm with you on the Cub. Not a good third or fourth plane, need some piloting skills before you can launch-fly-land-repeat.
this surprised me to read. I thought (hoped) the FT Simple Cub would be a pretty good flying plane. I've built and flown a handful of FT planes, and a dozen or so others; I'm not super new albeit always learning. Flown warbirds probably more than anything else. Never flown something that I didn't like. Except for the Mini Scout. That plane felt so twitchy and borderline too small to be stable.
Anyways, what makes the Simple Cub not a great flying plane? Does it have some bad tendencies that other Cub models don't?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
this surprised me to read. I thought (hoped) the FT Simple Cub would be a pretty good flying plane. I've built and flown a handful of FT planes, and a dozen or so others; I'm not super new albeit always learning. Flown warbirds probably more than anything else. Never flown something that I didn't like. Except for the Mini Scout. That plane felt so twitchy and borderline too small to be stable.
Anyways, what makes the Simple Cub not a great flying plane? Does it have some bad tendencies that other Cub models don't?
It was my third or fourth plane and I found it hard to fly, stalled very abruptly in turns. I smashed two of them pretty thoroughly. Now that I've got a few years of flying under my belt I have one that I fly regularly. Not a trainer class plane in my opinion. For me it is a little more demanding than the simple scout or the swappable spitfire.

Foamforce

It’s as hard as a warbird to keep from nosing over when landing too. That said, I enjoy the challenge. It feels like it flies more scale than most planes.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This was the maiden of my cub. It was a horrible flyer up until I turned a gyro on that Was installed "just in case" it was as bad as I had heard. Went from almost unflyable to really smooth. For whatever reason, it's just not a great flyer.

The FT trainer on the other hand is a super simple flyer.