FT Racer Electronics ? help a surface guy out

saiga556

Full of...
I am going to attempt building the FT Racer, mostly. So far I have bought some black foam board and downloaded the plans. So I have basically done nothing yet except for star at the computer wondering what I am looking at. I have become fairly experienced with surface RC but nothing that flies except for a cox powered glider when I was a kid and some small 4ch helis. I am trying to sort out what electronics I will want.

I am going to purchase a turnigy 9x version 2 TX/RX. Seems descent and low cost.

I think I am going to run a 3s system with probably a 40amp ESC so that I have room for a bigger motor down the road. I would like to put emphasis on performance but still desire long run times. I have looked at "The Beef" kit and like the idea of the power it will provide. I am not sure how many watts the system is or how many watts I need to look for in other motors. I am not afraid of paying upwards of 20 or 30 dollars for a good motor.

How many watts do I need? Is 335W enough? motor? I would like to order from the Hobbyking USA warehouse if possible and make it a one stop shopping experience.

Any help is appreciated.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If you go 3S, keep it to a smaller battery, say an 800 or no more than a 1300mAh. The Flyer does best when it's kept light. That being said, you probably don't need the beef on it. It's supreme over-motor for the flyer. I have an Emax 2822 on mine, which is way overkill, even with the tape finishing on it to add weight.

It pulls right at 11A and 125-130w with an 8x6 prop, so it can get kinda fast for a Flyer, but I'm not really a beginner, so for me, it's perfect...

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
If you go 3S, keep it to a smaller battery, say an 800 or no more than a 1300mAh. The Flyer does best when it's kept light. That being said, you probably don't need the beef on it. It's supreme over-motor for the flyer. I have an Emax 2822 on mine, which is way overkill, even with the tape finishing on it to add weight.

It pulls right at 11A and 125-130w with an 8x6 prop, so it can get kinda fast for a Flyer, but I'm not really a beginner, so for me, it's perfect...

I think he was asking about the Racer, not the Flyer.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I think he was asking about the Racer, not the Flyer.
Yup..darn cold medicine! Sorry about that. (I was wondering why Nerdnic was saying 2200...)
And that Emax is 170W/16A max, if it still matters... :)

Jaxx

Saiga556,
If you have not flown a fixed-wing airframe before, you may want to consider a different platform with a smaller motor to learn on. The Bloody Wonder powered by a 24g motor is a great option to start with. The combination gives great flight times (which helps when learning to fly). You can then upgrade the motor to the "Beef", and get a feel for high-speed flight. In the mean time, continue to work on your Racer, so it's ready to go when you gain that flight experience. I wouldn't recommend it if you're a beginner though. It's an excellent flyer, but may be a frustrating platform to learn on.

Last edited:

saiga556

Full of...
Saiga556,
If you have not flown a fixed-wing airframe before, you may want to consider a different platform with a smaller motor to learn on. The Bloody Wonder powered by a 24g motor is a great option to start with. The combination gives great flight times (which helps when learning to fly). You can then upgrade the motor to the "Beef", and get a feel for high-speed flight. In the mean time, continue to work on your Racer, so it's ready to go when you gain that flight experience. I wouldn't recommend it if you're a beginner though. It's an excellent flyer, but may be a frustrating platform to learn on.

I appreciate what you are saying but I'm sure you can also appreciate what I'm about to say... Go big or go home. As statedd in my original post I have flown fixed wing and some 4ch heli before. I appreciate a steep learnsng curve and take it as a challenge. The desire to challenge myself is the main reason I chose to build one of these foam board planes. Also repair costs are minimal and to a certain degree the repairs are part of the fun. If it crashes and burns so be it. A good crash will be much more exciting than not crashing a slow boring trainer.

Hopefully I won't give you the chance to say I told you so.

saiga556

Full of...
For the racer I would get this: http://www.altitudehobbies.com/flitetest-combo-flight-packs/combo-flight-pack-for-flitetest-ft-racer

For a battery you'll want 2200 3S minimum. Anything smaller and you won't be able to balance the plane. The linked motor will give you really good performance on any oh the FT bigger planes.

Thanks for the link. Might be a winner. Cheaper than the lazertoyz kit. How big of a battery can or should I go? I plan to purchase a few.

I am thinking about building the plane without rudder at first. Is this advisable? Or should I build the rudder and just use it to learn with? I only ask because the ft build video says it's optional.

Jaxx

Saiga556,
Cool. It's clear you know exactly what you want. The recommended electronics for the FT Racer are half way down the page at the following link: http://shop.flitetest.com/aircraft/ft-racer-speed-build-kit/.

On my Racer, I'll be using the same setup that I have on my spitfire. I have listed it below:

TX: Same as the one you selected

Motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__34108__D2826_10_1400kv_Brushless_Motor_US_Warehouse_.html

ESC: http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dye-1003-30a-esc.html

Battery: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...y_2200mAh_3S_20C_Lipo_Pack_US_Warehouse_.html

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks for the link. Might be a winner. Cheaper than the lazertoyz kit. How big of a battery can or should I go? I plan to purchase a few.

I am thinking about building the plane without rudder at first. Is this advisable? Or should I build the rudder and just use it to learn with? I only ask because the ft build video says it's optional.

The battery Jaxx linked will work perfect. I see it's back ordered so maybe get one with higher c that might be in stock if you can't wait.

Rudder is optional. Some will look down their nose if you don't use a rudder but it's 100% not needed to fly the plane, and very well at that.

Jaxx

The battery Jaxx linked will work perfect. I see it's back ordered so maybe get one with higher c that might be in stock if you can't wait.

Rudder is optional. Some will look down their nose if you don't use a rudder but it's 100% not needed to fly the plane, and very well at that.

Those batteries are a great price too. Most other 3S 2200s will cost more. A motor in the 200W range should provide a good balance between power and flight time.

saiga556

Full of...
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the combo that nerdnic suggested from altitude hobbys. I like that I have the option to purchase my own batteries. I will purchase a few 3 cells which will work out well as I have not yet been able to try out 3s for speed runs in my HPI Sprint 2 Flux. Looks like the easy way to get started. Ordered 3 more props in addition to the 2 that came with the combo.

Now for the transmitter will the ver2 software of the turnigy 9x be noticeably better than the regular 9x? I only ask because I believe that I saw the tx cheaper somewhere othe than hobbyking but it was a regular 9x.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the combo that nerdnic suggested from altitude hobbys. I like that I have the option to purchase my own batteries. I will purchase a few 3 cells which will work out well as I have not yet been able to try out 3s for speed runs in my HPI Sprint 2 Flux. Looks like the easy way to get started. Ordered 3 more props in addition to the 2 that came with the combo.

Now for the transmitter will the ver2 software of the turnigy 9x be noticeably better than the regular 9x? I only ask because I believe that I saw the tx cheaper somewhere othe than hobbyking but it was a regular 9x.

It's a great combo and you'll dig the performance. You might want more props, though. After I got passed the initial 'crash 15 seconds after you take off' phase of my flying, I still broke many props on landings. You might be super pro and not need more props but I personally went through probably 30 or so before I could go a whole day+ without breaking a prop.

Jaxx

It's a great combo and you'll dig the performance. You might want more props, though. After I got passed the initial 'crash 15 seconds after you take off' phase of my flying, I still broke many props on landings. You might be super pro and not need more props but I personally went through probably 30 or so before I could go a whole day+ without breaking a prop.
Same here. GWS style props are great for the the learning process. They also lower the chance of bending the motor shaft when the prop hits the ground during landings.

saiga556

Full of...
What would be the equivalent prop in a 3 and 4 blade version. I believe that the ones I got are APC style 9x6e 2 blade. Is there a performance degradation using more blades?

I am mostly just curious about how 2,3, and 4 blade props relate to one another.