FT Simple Cub not flying

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Thanks for all your answers. I think I'm going to put a 1000kv with a 10x6 prop do you think this should work ?
I think the guys have the right suggestion, its cheaper to shelf that plane for later and build a better flying plane. Im no fan of the simple cub myself, so many better flying options that will work with the setup you have...

I'm all for over proppping motors, i do it all the time, but i think a 9" prop on that motor is asking for more problems than it fixes. Cant make your truck have more power by putting bigger tires on it, doesn't work well for planes either.

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
I'm all for over proppping motors, i do it all the time, but i think a 9" prop on that motor is asking for more problems than it fixes. Cant make your truck have more power by putting bigger tires on it, doesn't work well for planes either.
i made the suggestion because thats the prop ft recomends

I can't help it - I want to repeat what I think are the most critical answers here:
CG must be correct, or the plane will not fly.
Calibrate your ESC or you won't get the full range available from that motor.

What else? I dunno. Well-built plane, good flying plane, good hand launch. Light air, sunshine, smiling faces, good vibes...

luvmy40

Elite member
I can't help it - I want to repeat what I think are the most critical answers here:
CG must be correct, or the plane will not fly.
Calibrate your ESC or you won't get the full range available from that motor.

What else? I dunno. Well-built plane, good flying plane, good hand launch. Light air, sunshine, smiling faces, good vibes...
Beat me to it!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
i made the suggestion because thats the prop ft recomends
I think their recommendation is for the 1000kv motor if im not mistaken. His is 2200kv. Anything over that 6" prop might be asking a lot of it, probably induce some pretty high amp requirements.

I always prefer big props but another issue they can have is more torque roll at low speeds. If you are already having low speed control issues i still dont think more power and a bigger prop is the best solution.

As was said earlier, the plane should glide with no power for a start. Then, even if it was severely under powered, it should still be able to make a pattern...

tartiflette

My plane glide, it stall when I'm at full power, but even at full power it doesn't want to climb. And my esc is corectly setup

Hondo76251

Legendary member
If it glides, i.e. you throw it and can control the flight for 40 or more feet, adding power will not make it stall. I think something is getting lost in translation. Hard to get good diagnosis without a video of what its doing. I suspect its just the tendencies inherent to the cub, along with some CG issues. Nothing wrong with trying a bigger prop/lower kv combo if you want to go that route. I'd personally go for a more enjoyable plane to fly...

Is it doing this?
illustration-airplane-stall.jpg

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I suspect a more torque induced tip stall kind of thing. The old, "it rolls and crashes every time i launch, even when i go full throttle"

bisco

Elite member
It kinda do that but only when throwing or when I pull the stick
throwing is an art. depending on the model, you need different angles and strength.

same with throttle. and then there's getting your hand on the elevator stick...

are the motor thrust angles correct?

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...It is equipped with a 2200 kv A2212 motor with a 6035 propeller...
I agree with the others, this motor and prop should easily fly the plane, if you are using a 3S battery. If you are on 2S, you will be underpowered. And make sure you have calibrated the ESC. Calibration shows the ESC what full throttle looks like. In other words the motor may only running at half speed.

Is the prop on the correct way? The numbers on the prop should be facing the direction of travel. If the prop is on backwards, you will only get about 40-50% of the expected thrust.

Last edited:

tartiflette

I agree with the others, this motor and prop should easily fly the plane, if you are using a 3S battery. If you are on 2S, you will be underpowered. And make sure you have calibrated the ESC. Calibration shows the ESC what full throttle looks like. In other words the motor may only running at half speed.

Is the prop on the correct way? The numbers on the prop should be facing the direction of travel. If the prop is on backwards, you will only get about 40-50% of the expected thrust.
Yes everything is setup corectly