FT Sparrow Builders'/Owners' Thread

Riverstix

Do you guys think this is a good plane for a 5 year old to start learning to fly on? Would the mini arrow be a better choice for a first plane? I had my dad learn on a simple soarer with the motor and that worked well but this thing(or the mini arrow) looks way easier to build and more crashproof.

xMeox

The arrow is not a beginner plane. I havent built the sparrow yet. Simple soara or tiny trainer are the best choices imo.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Do you guys think this is a good plane for a 5 year old to start learning to fly on? Would the mini arrow be a better choice for a first plane? I had my dad learn on a simple soarer with the motor and that worked well but this thing(or the mini arrow) looks way easier to build and more crashproof.

I've been building and flying DTFB airplanes since last summer and I don't think I'm ready for a wing like the Mini Arrow yet. :eek: The Tiny Trainer is the ideal airplane for beginners. It was for me. I was astonished when my first Tiny Trainer took off, flew, landed and was still able to fly again. It's easy to build, very durable (crashproof), and has an upgrade path from chuck glider to sport aerobatic four channel. It'll fly with a wide variety of motors depending on how fast you want it to go.

Jon

Sure would be nice to get someone in the known to weigh in on the aileron vs not question. Is there a reason they removed them? etc.... it's clear they have built both versions for the episode but no reference to that in any of the materials.

How about it FliteTest guys?

They probably removed the ailerons to make this more of a "trainer". It would probably be easy to add them, or to make a second wing altogether with less dihedral and ailerons, kind of like what Flite Test does with the Tiny Trainer and the Explorer.

Thanks. I did noticed in the video Josh said A pack or 1806 motor while clearly holding up a 2204. From my experience (limited as it is) the FT planes fly quite well on much less motor then recommended. Not saying fast isn't fun!! But slower is a lot easier to control for newer flyers. I'm betting the Sparrow is the same.
JD

I want to experiment with putting a small motor on this; maybe an 1806 with a Gemfan 5030 on 2 cells? Would be interesting to see what it flies like with a very light setup.

No, I'm using an F pack, which is why I want to make changes. I'm not saying anything is wrong with the design if you build it the way FT recommends, my woes are self inflicted. I've overpowered mine and am using a 6" prop, both of which throw the CG out of wack.

I would put a 3-blade 5" over a 2-blade 6" on this one for sure -- the torque incurred from the latter will kill the flight experience.

akarmy

I would put a 3-blade 5" over a 2-blade 6" on this one for sure -- the torque incurred from the latter will kill the flight experience.

This is the setup I'm trying. Ready for flight just waiting on weather. I have a F pack motor and a 3 blade 4.5 pitch. Going to fly with 800mah 3 cell. Should be interesting.

akarmy

Ok, finally got some nice weather to try out my new mini Sparrow. I built from Localfiend's plans (which amounts to a longer fuselage nose section) I'm using the 'F' pack motor, 12A ESC, 5x4.5 3 blade prop and 800x3C batteries. With the small 3 blade prop you can keep the motor all the way in tight against the rear of the fuselage without cutting the tail. With the longer nose it balanced with the 800 all the way forward in the nose. No additional weight was needed. The CG I flew at was the one Josh showed in the video (Centered on the wing spar, slightly nose down when holding it there).

IMG_4998.jpg
IMG_5001.jpg
IMG_4999.jpg

I launched at half throttle and it flew straight out from my hand. With the small prop you can normally launch it if you're careful as the prop is just about the size of the rear skid. I found that high rates were too much and flew on low rates much of the time. It does not take much control to make this thing fly. I'm quite surprised how well it works with just the ruddervators for control.

The 'F' pack motor is seriously over powering this little bird. I'm sure it would fly just great on the 'A' pack setup as called for on the plans. But WOW when you throttle up it screams. Funny that it wiggles around due to the very short coupled fuselage.

Here's a video of the maiden flight!

akarmy

Looks lovely, akarmy!

Are you using Ross foam? Nice flying!

Yes this is built with Ross. I didn't paint it yet as I was not sure how it would turn out with all the varied feedback we've seen. have to get it finished up now.

I may try the aileron version next. Also may try the smaller motor. It goes REALLY fast with the F pack. :)

Fidget

Anyone know how to move the rudder control to the right stick on a Spektrum DX6 when the vtail mix is on? I finally got the servos moving the right direction, but I'm much handier steering with my right thumb.
Thanks for any advice.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Fidget,

I just built my dad a sparrow and set it up on his DX7. I had to use the delta setting instead of Vtail.

Fidget

FT Sparrow Build

Finished the FT Sparrow I made for my wife. Tried to fly last weekend, but had controls set up wrong. Thanks to advice from French, they seem to work better now.

Made with firewall from Copterholics on Thingiverse, primed grey and painted with glitter spraypaint from Testors. With glitter foam nose (Foamies type) and adhesive glitter paper from Jo-Ann Fabrics. Butterfly stickers and woodgrain vinyl shelf liner from Dollar Tree. http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=505_506_749&products_id=4845RMRC Black 1806 motor.

20160317_210228.jpg ATTACH=CONFIG]65972[/ATTACH] 20160317_210303 (1024x576).jpg

Attachments

• 20160317_210323.jpg
    20160317_210323.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Beldraak

My failed attempt so far

Failed attempt so far
Here is my attempt to build the Sparrow under 250 grams...
It came in at 249 but alas is not airworthy. As you can probably guess, when power is applied it pitches down uncontrollably. I thought about cutting down the prop and then lowering the pod, but the plane is so short that I doubt that will do enough. If I angle the motor any more forward it will be practically pushing the plane down as much as forward.
If it could be made functional it looks like it could be a seaplane
any ideas?

I did angle the motor with about 1/8" shim between the top of the motor and the mount after I took these pics, but still no luck.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Failed attempt so far
Here is my attempt to build the Sparrow under 250 grams...
It came in at 249 but alas is not airworthy. As you can probably guess, when power is applied it pitches down uncontrollably. I thought about cutting down the prop and then lowering the pod, but the plane is so short that I doubt that will do enough. If I angle the motor any more forward it will be practically pushing the plane down as much as forward.
If it could be made functional it looks like it could be a seaplane
any ideas?

I did angle the motor with about 1/8" shim between the top of the motor and the mount after I took these pics, but still no luck.

Have you tried adding more up-thrust? I had the same problem with a Retro RC e-Sinbad 36: IMG_5068acrop900.jpg