FT Speedster - Pylon Race

spitball

Anyone having trouble purchasing kit on the FT store? It keeps telling me "Please choose an option for Power Pack" & the only option I see is to purchase it (the power pack), which I don't need?
Thanks,
rick

amtpdb1

Does anyone know what wire he is using on the landing gear? I tried the wire gear on the Hoppy and it bent too easy for me.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Generally it is .1" or 3/32" of an inch wire on the swappables. .125 or 18" on the Krakken. 0.625 guage on the minis.

This design seems like a big step forward in FT designs.

Centus

What do you guys think about the 45degree skewers connecting the horizontal and vertical stabilizers? Construction of the tail feathers seems very similar to other planes like the FT Mustang, so are these skewers necessary?

jpot1

Elite member
Curious what people think regarding the flight characteristics of the sportster vs. the spitfire. I find my spitfire a little challenging although I have a baron and ft22 that I am comfortable with. Would the sportster be more in line with the bloody baron?

m_eye_flying

Awesome plane, just loved building it.

I had a easy the building this plane and could not wait to get it done, but during the process, even after making sure the tail/rudder was centered and at 90 degree angle, for some reason after applying the BBQ skewers it looked right and when it dried it pulled to the left a tad an I did not catch it in time, as i walked away. My question is will this still fly or will have to junk it and start over? I was thinking of using a 3 axis gyro to compensate the mishap. Maybe it won't matter. It doesn't look that bad, but it bugs me and I want a successful maiden. IMG_4589.jpg

JDWells

With that little bit, I'd say you're fine. If it were me (and it has been a few times), I would keep it in mind for the maiden, get it trimmed out and not worry about it.

m_eye_flying

With that little bit, I'd say you're fine. If it were me (and it has been a few times), I would keep it in mind for the maiden, get it trimmed out and not worry about it.

Thanks JDWells, much appreciated response. Will give it a whirl with trimming it out upon maiden. Hoping for success!

DrDiff

Motor Mount Repairs Mini Sportster.

Crashing is a part of learning. I crashed my FliteTest Mini Sportster today and damaged the motor pod. I made a simple repair with an old credit card. Here is how I did it.... I am Dean New to fixed wings, I have some flight experience with Multi Rotors, I have driven RC cars for almost 30 years but This is the first time I got into fixed wing fight. And this is my first attempt at authoring.

So I was trying to taxy my Mini Sportster and hit a twig and crashed into a planter. The motor pod was pushed back but the plane itself was fine. My first thought was to buy a new pod. Flight Test was closed for the weekend. So I looked in the shipping box where I kept my build supplies and saw an old gift card. Genius struck. A few snips with a pair of scissors and presto reinforcement and meat for new holes. A little hot glue.
20160415_180753_zpsi6hlpwzd.jpg
20160415_180802_zpsapap2llb.jpg

A few seconds with my dremel and we have a repaired pod. Time to slide the BBQ Sticks in place and we have a repaired airplane!
20160415_181147_zpsxosd44iy.jpg

Total cost: I old credit or gift card and some hot glue.

In Summary. Never be afraid to fly your plane, and never be afraid to try and make repairs. This repair of mine should make the plane a little stronger, despite moving the CG a little. Never be afraid to build, because if you build it you can repair it!

Dean Cory

p.s. you may consider this an article for publishing on Flite Test.