Help! FT Tiny Trainer Battery

What is a good battery size for FT Tiny Trainer

• Total voters

Hyperdrive

Hello, I'm new to the hobby and building a Tiny Trainer from scratch. I was wondering what is a good battery for a noob on the tiny trainer, baring in mind that it's easier to fly a plane lighter when you're learning.

It would also help if you explain why you voted what you did.

Thank you for any votes on the poll. 😁

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
More info would be helpful. What motor and prop are you planning to use? That can change what battery people recommend.

skymaster

Elite member
There are 2 battery's that go perfect with the tiny trainer. yhe 3s 800mah and the 3s 1000 Mah, the 3s 1000 Mah gives it a little more stability on windy days

Hyperdrive

my experience with a 6x4.5 prop was that on 3s the motor could get a bit hot if ran hard (6x3 it was fine) [I am in the south, so hot weather in general, if your in cold weather it might be fine)
I'm in the UK so it should be fine.

Foamforce

The 2s 500mah is best for a noob because making the plane lighter makes it fly easier. With the small battery it’s incredibly easy to launch. You can even toss it with the motor off and you have a few seconds to get your hands on the controls and fly it away. Also, being so light reduces damage a lot when you have poor landings.

Anything with 3s is powerful enough that it’s substantially more difficult for a beginner to control. It’s actually pretty sporty.

akimbo

A smaller 2s battery is definitely easier for a beginner but, after you fly a few times, you will want to experiment with a bit more speed. If you are using a rudder and elevon set up, it will be a bit harder to control when It goes faster so I recommend implementing elevons if possible. I personally find bank and yank a lot easier than being limited by just a rudder and elevons.

hankflies03

Can only support the idea to add another spar. After my wing folded, I added a piece of carbon tube to make it rigid. Never had any issues thereafter. Flying mostly on 3s 850.
ya my wing folded also. i just made a new one with a skewer or two for a spar and it was plenty strong.

JDSnavely

Can only support the idea to add another spar. After my wing folded, I added a piece of carbon tube to make it rigid. Never had any issues thereafter. Flying mostly on 3s 850.
Something else we do is use fiber-reinforced tape to hold the wings together. This alone really helps. I taped by black-foam light 2S TT after folding the wings and it still flys great... even with 3S 800! But we use other TTs for 3S flying with reinforced wings. My oldest son has a Carbon Cub, a Turbo Tudor and a few others but his Tiny Trainer is still his goto plane. Although the T-28 with 4S 800 and Turbo Tudor 3S 2200 are pretty close 2nds.

Burnhard

Something else we do is use fiber-reinforced tape to hold the wings together. This alone really helps. I taped by black-foam light 2S TT after folding the wings and it still flys great... even with 3S 800! But we use other TTs for 3S flying with reinforced wings. My oldest son has a Carbon Cub, a Turbo Tudor and a few others but his Tiny Trainer is still his goto plane. Although the T-28 with 4S 800 and Turbo Tudor 3S 2200 are pretty close 2nds.
flying the mighty mini Trojan on 4s? This must be a beast!

quorneng

Master member
Just a point but if the wing of a proved design folds then either it was not built correctly or the plane is overweight and/or the plane is over powered.
Nothing wrong with a 'sporty' plane if it has been designed or modified appropriately.
Simply adding more power by increasing cell count to an unmodified existing design is not so much a recommendation but more reporting the results of an experiment.