FT Versa Wing with Blunt Nose - Help with Electronics

BussTD

I am looking at building the FT Versa Wing with the Blunt Nose option. I'm wanting to build this in stages...

Stage 1: The bare minimum electronics to fly by sight, to practice and get the hang of the airplane. The requirements I'm looking for in the electronics are: 100 mph, 3 to 5 mile range, long flight time.

Stage 2: Reuse electronics from Stage 1, but add FPV gear. The requirements I'm looking for in the FPV gear are: 3 to 5 mile range and ability to cut throw trees (would like to go a mile or so out and fly low over a river which has a woods on each side).

Stage 3: Take all equipment from Stage 1 & 2 and put it on a VAS Chimera Flying Wing or VAS Chimera Mini.

Does anyone have a complete list of equipment I would need to accomplish this? I am clueless to how I would spec everything out to achieve my requirements. I am also willing to learn how to specs out equipment if anyone has a tutorial.

Thanks for any help you can provide me to get my FT Versa Wing Build Project started.

My Background:

I am 32 years old and have been dreaming of aviation since I was 6, when I went to my first air show. I have always wanted an RC plane (or real plane) but never had the money to do it. 5 years ago I purchased my first plane which was the apprentice to learn how to fly, but have the ability to take the training wheels off. I also have a glow plane. All of my planes have been RTF which I never had to worry about putting parts together. I also have a PC setup just for RC Simulation using RC Phoenix. My career is in Computer Repair, but don't know enough about electrical to combine parts and know what I need to make a plane do what I want. This part I am trying to pick up the best I can.

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Hi ya BussTD, and welcome to the FT Forums! I'm a huge fan of the FT Blunt Nose Versa Wing. Mine is no 100mph speed demon, but it does have a long cruise time with a relatively inexpensive battery.

I love the idea of the Chimera, but don't like the idea of a dual battery 3S2P setup -- that's just more batteries to charge up.

If I were to do what you're planning, I would probably get the same electronics recomended for the VAS Chimera:
http://www.stoneblueairlines.com/airplanes/airplanes/vas-aircraft/chimera-flying-wing-pro-kit.html

It might be tricky getting the CG setup on the Versa without big heavy batteries up front to offset the weight of that hulking 100+g motor in the back, but if you're set on the ~100mph speed, I think that's what you'll need.

Just make sure you use heavier duty servos than what's recommended for the Versa...

Last edited:

BussTD

Here are the recommended equipment for the VAS Chimera...

Motor - EMAX Motor GT2820/04 1460KV or Cobra Motor 2820/8 KV 1450
Motor Mount - SBA Custom Motor Mount (Large)
Batteries - 2 x Jet Fuel 4200 3S (or) 2 x Jet Fuel 4200 4S
2 x Jet Fuel 5200 3S (or) 2 x Jet Fuel 5200 4S (if so bay needs modification)
ESC - Emax 60A SimonK ESC or Cobra 60A ESC BEC
Servos - Emax ES09MA Analog Servo or Emax ES3104MA 17g Analog Servo

Couple questions...

Which motor should i pick?
Will the motor mount from FT work or would I need the SBA Custom Motor Mount?
3S or 4S Battery setup? Does it really make a difference?
What Prop should i use?

Ffog

100 mph!
And awsome range!

If these where the crtieria, i would rather buy a really good probuilt wing.

Love the versa (not tried blunt nose yet) bit o dont know if i would make this poor thing scream along doing 100+mph with a lot of expensive fpv gear on it.

HawkMan

btw if you're going to cut through trees on your RC and Video. you're probably going to need UHF for the RC link like EzUHF. (might not be necessary, but better safe than sorry). and you may be looking at high power low frequenzy Video, 1.2Ghz at most, probably better with 900Mhz, penetrates better through woods. and for planes you shouldn't need to fight with others for bands either. In some countries there may be 4G cell phones operating on 900Mhz though.

BussTD

100 mph!
And awsome range!

If these where the crtieria, i would rather buy a really good probuilt wing.

Love the versa (not tried blunt nose yet) bit o dont know if i would make this poor thing scream along doing 100+mph with a lot of expensive fpv gear on it.

Yeah I am a bit of a speed demon and thrill junkie. If you suggest a probuilt wing, which do you suggest. I do wish I could just go and pick one up since searching threw all the different equipment to put on this is mind blowing, so much to choose from. I think it makes it harder since I don't know the qualities of each piece and part. Just like trying to find a video receiver to cut throw trees and have a range of 3 to 5 miles, the items don't have this in the description, it's pretty much trial and error.

BussTD

btw if you're going to cut through trees on your RC and Video. you're probably going to need UHF for the RC link like EzUHF. (might not be necessary, but better safe than sorry). and you may be looking at high power low frequenzy Video, 1.2Ghz at most, probably better with 900Mhz, penetrates better through woods. and for planes you shouldn't need to fight with others for bands either. In some countries there may be 4G cell phones operating on 900Mhz though.

I live in USA and I don't have a HAM license, which I'm interested in getting if necessary (just don't know how to go about it). I'm debating what to go with between BlackSheep, ImmersionRC, or the one SolidBlueAirlines have on their sites. Any suggestions or know which one would perform better with requirements of up to 5 miles and cutting threw a woods?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
So, given some of what's posted on this thread. I might suggest taking a step back a bit... if, as it sounds, you're fairly new to all this, and new to RC flight especially, you might be better off taking a more measured approach. I'm making assumptions as we haven't read your history in RC flight. Your first post listed a good set of steps where you would build, fly LOS, before adding FPV, etc. BUT... rather than build a big, heavy, fast, relatively advanced flying style (delta wing) aircraft, maybe you could describe your history?

If you've not had a lot of 4-channel (aileron) or delta wing flight experience, you might want to get more of that via simulator practice or building some light and inexpensive models. A basic tractor versa wing with a 8x4prop/blue wonder/35g motor/1500mAh 20C 3S battery might be a great training aid that wouldn't break the bank.

If you have that experience, then by all means go for it, but when the motor/prop selection given the manufacturer listed options isn't clear to you, it implies a need for more experience.

I also definitely recommend getting a amateur radio license. In fact, for the range you're talking about, it's absolutely required. Likewise, you might want to look into the various issues related to beyond line-of-sight flight. It's sort of a grey / no-go area in some parts of the World.

BussTD

makattack,

I have updated my first post with my background. I don't have any experience with delta wings other then on a simulator. I know 100+mph is excessive, but it doesn't mean I need to go that speed all the time. You know just a pass here and there to fill my thrill every once and awhile.

I am willing to look into building a wing (pusher style) if you have any recommendation on great parts and the price is right. I wouldn't want anything that I would get to bored of to shortly (such as to slow or under powered). I was just planning on doing my 3 Stages as it would be the best bang for the buck so I could just add to and not have to replace parts to accommodate for FPV gear ect. later on down the road.

Looking at a motor specs on the manufacture websites, I admit is foreign to me. This is probably do to me always getting RTF setups which I never had to think about before.

Do you have any links for me to read up on amateur radio license? I know there are laws against going passed line of sight, but in my area behind my house, I have woods, rivers, fields and no houses for a long ways. If I lose control of it the only thing going to get hurt is the airplane.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Great! So that clarifies a lot, thank you! You're just new to building... but are an experienced pilot. That's great. I would add that FPV flight is sort of like learning everything all over again... there are certain basics to get used to in addition to setting up the equipment. I would watch the IBCrazy series of youtube videos to learn about all that:

http://www.stoneblueairlines.com/what-is-fpv

Looks like Alex consolidated his beginner series under the Stone Blue Airlines channel...

Getting a ham / amateur radio license depends on where you live (the country) but there are shared / common knowledge stuff relating to electronics, radio theory, international standards, operational procedures, etc...

I live in the US and used this as my starting point:
http://www.arrl.org/getting-licensed

I learned by taking practice tests, but a quick search on Google showed this nice looking online resource for learning:

http://www.qsl.net/aa0ni/toc.html

If you're in the US, you can start by getting an FRN account with the FCC: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do

Just be sure you bring the FRN number with you to your ham test (administered by local ham clubs/volunteers, with a $15 administrative fee -- that same fee allows you to take the tech and general tests, so if you have the motivation, you might as well study for general!)

As far as manufacturer recommended equipment on kit build planes, they will generally tell you if the recommended equipment are different or equivalent. I believe the SBA list for the Chimera basically has equivalent motors, and the different battery options just offers more power. I'm no expert with prop, motor, esc, battery selection, but there are numerous articles on this and software/websites that help with that. One of the most popular is:

http://ecalc.ch/

For the Chimera, I would look to the main discussion forum for that plane, which is on FPVLabs, to see what others have experienced:

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?26136-IBCrazy-s-Chimera-airplane

In fact, Alex says this about his recommendationed motor/prop:

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread...imera-airplane&p=440683&viewfull=1#post440683

Last edited:

BussTD

That is a nice website which I will be studying for the HAM License. Is it really worth getting the General License? What does it give me that the Technician License doesn't?

I'm going to type up an equipment list I have already and update the first post with it. Hopefully I can get some feed back if the equipment I have chosen will be what I am looking for. Keep an eye out for the update list coming soon.