tiny tutor with sport cub s2 electronics

razorflyer422

hi, my brother got a sport cub s2 from hobby zone a few years ago, but he burned all the foam trying to spray paint it. electronics work, but body is ruined, could I put the electronics in a flite test plane like the tiny tutor, should I scale it down?.

Tench745

Master member
hi, my brother got a sport cub s2 from hobby zone a few years ago, but he burned all the foam trying to spray paint it. electronics work, but body is ruined, could I put the electronics in a flite test plane like the tiny tutor, should I scale it down?.
I don't know for sure, but I think the tiny tutor is a little big/heavy for those electronics. I'm having a hard time finding it now, but there was a Flite Test video where they made smaller planes from foam plates. Something like that might be a better fit.

Shurik-1960

I'm not offering you anything. Democracy : if you want to restore the model, buy the damaged parts and restore the model, if you don't want to, don't buy and wait for tips on using electronics from this model.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...could I put the electronics in a flite test plane like the tiny tutor, should I scale it down?.
If you are talking about this plane, then No. Planes on this scale are going to be very difficult to reproduce. The smaller you make the plane the more difficulty grows. You would be far better off starting over with something like the Tiny Trainer. Bigger plane are just easier to fly, easier to see & less effected by the wind.

In general, Yes, you can put the electronics into a new plane. Buy replacement parts for the original or build a FT plane, it's is your choice. If you chose to build, the new plane should be similar size to the original, within 10%. Don't make the new plane 50% larger & expect it to fly.

FT has a wide variety of planes sizes, measure the original & pick something similar. For example, if the original had a wing that measured 400 square inches (40x10 inches). Pick a FT plane with 400 to 440 size wing. If you give us the size of the wing we could offer more suggestions.

I would recommend picking a similar size plane over scaling plans larger or smaller. Scaling could work but it just has more of a chance for error, it's a more advanced skill. We will be able to offer more help with a known FT plan that we are all familiar with.

Last edited:

Tench745

Master member
I assume you're relatively new to the hobby, so some of these might be a little beyond what you want to tackle at the moment, but there are a couple different options.
I found the FT video I was thinking of; https://www.flitetest.com/articles/recycling-micros

A number of people have converted small balsa kits to RC using that UMX brick.

Microaces sells pre-printed foam kits for a number of small airplanes that can use the UMX brick. I'd recommend looking at their Tutor Series as some of their other kits can get pretty complex.

I have plans for a plane that should fly well with those electronics. I call it the Li'l Phil. Build log isn't complete yet... I really should finish that.

razorflyer422

I assume you're relatively new to the hobby, so some of these might be a little beyond what you want to tackle at the moment, but there are a couple different options.
I found the FT video I was thinking of; https://www.flitetest.com/articles/recycling-micros

A number of people have converted small balsa kits to RC using that UMX brick.

Microaces sells pre-printed foam kits for a number of small airplanes that can use the UMX brick. I'd recommend looking at their Tutor Series as some of their other kits can get pretty complex.

I have plans for a plane that should fly well with those electronics. I call it the Li'l Phil. Build log isn't complete yet... I really should finish that.
thank you, I will try to use this. could I use normal Foamboard, I don't have 1/8 in xps, and I want to start building it today.

razorflyer422

If you are talking about this plane, then No. Planes on this scale are going to be very difficult to reproduce. The smaller you make the plane the more difficulty grows. You would be far better off starting over with something like the Tiny Trainer. Bigger plane are just easier to fly, easier to see & less effected by the wind.

In general, Yes, you can put the electronics into a new plane. Buy replacement parts for the original or build a FT plane, it's is your choice. If you chose to build, the new plane should be similar size to the original, within 10%. Don't make the new plane 50% larger & expect it to fly.

FT has a wide variety of planes sizes, measure the original & pick something similar. For example, if the original had a wing that measured 400 square inches (40x10 inches). Pick a FT plane with 400 to 440 size wing. If you give us the size of the wing we could offer more suggestions.

I would recommend picking a similar size plane over scaling plans larger or smaller. Scaling could work but it just has more of a chance for error, it's a more advanced skill. We will be able to offer more help with a known FT plan that we are all familiar with.
the wingspan is 523 mm. I tried to find a Flite test plane, but none of them were that small. Im thinking about using the lil Phil design, but do you have a better one?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
the wingspan is 523 mm. I tried to find a Flite test plane, but none of them were that small. Im thinking about using the lil Phil design, but do you have a better one?
With a plane that small, you are asking for a lot of frustrations with little chance of success.

I would recommend setting it aside for now. Learn to build & fly with a larger plane, something like the Tiny Trainer would be perfect. Then after you have flown for a while revisit the smaller plane if you like.

Tench745

Master member
thank you, I will try to use this. could I use normal Foamboard, I don't have 1/8 in xps, and I want to start building it today.
I haven't tried it in regular foamboard, so I can't say for sure. You'll have to adjust the size of some notches and things for the thicker foam, but I think it could be made to work. I recommend removing the paper from your foamboard to keep things light if you do go this route.