GearBest Promo from Mar-02 to Mar-08

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Disclaimer: The links to Gearbest contain parameters so that GB can identify me as the person who linked.

While surfing around on Gearbest (which I do now and then to look at (and buy) cheap gadgets - after I got their WLtoys F959 Sky King (GB-Link) for a sponsored review) I noticed they have a "Monster RC - Conquer the Sea, Air & Land (GB-Link)"-promo running right now.

You can for example get the F959 for $40 in the EU store at the moment.

The "XK A600 5CH Brushless Glider RC Aeroplane RTF (GB-Link)" high wing looks interesting to me as fixed wing beginner. It's $65 for a 580 mm wingspan plane that seems to support Futaba S-FHSS (FlySky?) protocols. If I understand their "English" correctly it even has gyros for a stabilized mode. (But it seems to be the EU plug version only?). JohnRambozo is reviewing it in this thread right now.

I also like the looks of the "RoboCat 270 mm Full Carbon Fiber Frame Kit" (GB-Link), but I'm always a little afraid when buying cheap chinese "carbon fiber" frames.

Last edited:

jamboree1

OK, I bit, to help you fulfill your obligation, but seriously, i have an unhealthy infatuation with small, cheap rc planes. I have quite a few air hogs, and my favorite lil plane that shouldn't even fly was distributed by Radio Shack called the Twin Turbine is a favorite golf course after hours flyer.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I wasn't sure about the GB stuff either, but the quality of the planes doesn't seem to be as bad as I first expected. I've watched a few videos before I decided to get the cheap (please note that I'm not using the word inexpensive ;-) ) F959 as a test to see what you get. And the XK A600 doesn't seem to be a bad either according to JohnRambozo and some other reviewers.

The only things I really have problems with at the moment is the extremely bad English of the website / product manuals and the false advertisement pictures on the F959 page which shows it with lights all over...

I was impressed by the fact that even for cheap aircrafts like these they have all parts as replacement though: http://www.gearbest.com/f959-_gear/ (no tracking link)

The first thing I'd do as a Chinese company would be to hire a small staff of native or very good English speakers - perhaps with a background in the hobby... Most parts of product manuals don't change from plane to plane anyway. All the safety notes, etc. would allow them to use common text blocks for big sections. And describing the specifics is probably something a seasoned writer can do in half a day.

Anyway I'm mostly testing to see how all of this is handled by GearBest. For example it helps me understand other reviews of their products and how it works behind the scenes.

And I always like to try new things - like reviewing products :).

PS: Oh and I had to unsubscribe from their newsletter, because of all the fun little gadgets they advertised. I now have a USB endoscope camera that works with my Android phone, a lock picking set, a multitool, a screw extractor kit ... and several metallic Star Wars puzzles are on their way.

I don't expect a lot, but for $4 this sure looks cool:
mf.jpg

Last edited:

Corbarrad

PS: Oh and I had to unsubscribe from their newsletter, because of all the fun little gadgets they advertised. I now have a USB endoscope camera that works with my Android phone, a lock picking set, a multitool, a screw extractor kit ... and several metallic Star Wars puzzles are on their way.

I don't expect a lot, but for $4 this sure looks cool:
View attachment 65165

If that's the same kit I bought a few weeks ago (to pad an order so I'd get free shipping) you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's a bit fiddly to put together, but once finished it sure looks the part, plus the weight adds to the whole "collectible" vibe. doesn't seem to want to fall apart either. I built it in a couple evenings while setting up and adjusting my 3d printer. Thinking of enlarging the parts pictures in the instruction booklet and building one out of kapaline and posterboard for my nephews.
Also, you paid about a third of what I did.. If it turns out to be a knockoff without proper instructions let me know.

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
The "XK A600 5CH Brushless Glider RC Aeroplane RTF (GB-Link)" high wing looks interesting to me as fixed wing beginner. It's $65 for a 580 mm wingspan plane that seems to support Futaba S-FHSS (FlySky?) protocols. If I understand their "English" correctly it even has gyros for a stabilized mode. (But it seems to be the EU plug version only?). JohnRambozo is reviewing it in this thread right now.

It is the EU plug. They did update the description at my suggestion. And they sells EU to US plug adapters for only a couple of dollars. Order at the same time so you get them together. I tried to ask a question on the product page so they would direct potential buyers to buy the plug adapter but they didn't seem to understand the question and missed the opportunity to help people out. Maybe I have to ask, will THIS adapter that YOU sell work for THIS plane!? :)

My solution was to cut up an old extension cord. Just order the adapter. I think its less than $2.

IMG_1588.JPG

I'm still doing videos of mine. I have a video from yesterday I need to post, trying to fly it in too small of a space. I basically had to hold full rudder at all times to stay in the small circle of trees and brick wall I was flying in. I hit the ground a few times, a small tree and the brick wall. No damage until the brick wall, which pulled the motor mount loose from the foam. Nothing a little glue can't fix.

Last edited: