Gentle Lady restoration

Piotrsko

Master member
Might be me but I just end up with paper covering that I now have to sand off.

by the date, You have a twice revised gentle lady, they are beefier and it should be a spruce spar which is even stronger than basswood unless it was Asian built and sold RTF. Whack off the nose piece glue on plywood firewall and bang, it's a motor glider. Mikey likes.

kkelly

Might be me but I just end up with paper covering that I now have to sand off.

by the date, You have a twice revised gentle lady, they are beefier and it should be a spruce spar which is even stronger than basswood unless it was Asian built and sold RTF. Whack off the nose piece glue on plywood firewall and bang, it's a motor glider. Mikey likes.
I'll try the iron method with a small spot first to be safe.

The plans (I still have the ones that came with the kit) say to use bass for the spar, but CG could have upgraded the kit and not updated the text. Either way it's stronger than balsa.

No need to take the nose off, as it fell off when I removed the covering. A testament to the building skills of 12-year old me.

kkelly

The paper and iron trick didn't work. I'll probably just lightly sand the thicker spots and then maybe give it a very thin coat of almond-colored paint if anything significant remains like Piotrsko mentioned. All the residue is from white covering and hopefully shouldn't be all that noticeable through the new film.

cyclone3350

Master member
The paper and iron trick didn't work. I'll probably just lightly sand the thicker spots and then maybe give it a very thin coat of almond-colored paint if anything significant remains like Piotrsko mentioned. All the residue is from white covering and hopefully shouldn't be all that noticeable through the new film.

I did a rehab on a 110" Rascal knock-off. Had the same issue as U R having. I also had the red form the original covering soak in deep into the grain. For taking off the glue residue, I used dope thinner brushed on & wiped off. It took off most of the glue but the red was in too deep so I did what U mentioned with sanding and almond colored latex paint. U can see what the red looked like on the fuse & the wings & tail after sanding & paint.

Attachments

• IMG_3735 (4).JPG
    IMG_3735 (4).JPG
    982 KB · Views: 0