Gimbals?? Specifically the BangGood Cheapie.

HawkMan

Jello wouldn't be from the gimbal though, or something it can prevent. one just needs to balance props and motors.

my props are near perfectly balanced by now and i get jello, I just have to do the damn motors soon...

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
I know the jello isn't from the gimbal... but the shakiness is. Already balanced the props, but I'm not sure how to balance the motors. TO THE INTERWEBZ!!

nilsen

Hello sir, I had endless problems with shakiness and when yawing the gimbal would simply freak out.
This was the Tarot 2D gimbal. What eventually solved it was changing the props and balancing until I was green in the face. They're finiky beasts for sure :)

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Hello sir, I had endless problems with shakiness and when yawing the gimbal would simply freak out.
This was the Tarot 2D gimbal. What eventually solved it was changing the props and balancing until I was green in the face. They're finiky beasts for sure :)

Yeah, I may have to explore prop options. I'm not sure that the ones I have are the highest of quality. Well... let's face it.. NOTHING on this build is the highest of quality. I ain't Rockefeller. :)

The props are balanced about as well as they will ever be. I spent a good long time with a quality balancer getting them spot on. The motors on the other hand, probably aren't. I'm running the Tarot 620 kv motors, which I'm sure aren't even close to top shelf cans. I will look into that in the future... just seems like a veritable metric crap tonne of work that I'm not interested in doing right now. I just spend the better part of a week and a half blowing off the rest of my responsibilities building this beast... now is the time to make amends with my Wife and Boss... and get some flight time in.

Then I have to figure out this damn NAZA drift issue...

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
NAZA Lite drift issue completely resolved. It's now awesome. Takeoffs are smooth and uneventful, GPS lock is to within 2-3 feet.

As far as shakeyness and Jello, I'm gong to try to remove the jello first, and then see what I have to deal with in GUI for the gimbal. I've decided that I'm going to try and isolate the motor vibration first before balancing. A lot of people are having great luck with a vibration dampener between the motor and motor mount. I am going to try some "gel" like mounting tape I've received. Not at all like the paper 3M stuff, this is more like the "Whacky Wall-walker" stuff... assuming you're old enough to get that reference.

More to come.

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
I have a similar gimbal. I got my from Goodluckbuy. I too was very disappointed at first when I mounted it to my AP quad platform I built. It would work ok for a while then start to get the shakes. I had a friend who bought a cx-20 (nova) quad and thought it best to hand it to me when he couldn't figure out how to fly it. I for kicks made a mount for the gimbal and strapped it on and it works really well on that quad. That to me tells me its a balance issue on my quad. One thing I did read somewhere was that the shock mounts that come with the gimbal are too stiff and its recommended to replace them with softer ones that absorb more vibration. Also, did you calibrate it? I set mine up and hooked it to my computer and found the right version of basecam (trial and error for me, took 4 or 5 tries) don't upgrade the firmware but there should be a tab that lets you do an ACC calibration and a few other setups just like a FC on a quad and that really helped with mine. You can set base angles and end limits as well (I think) Just make sure you save your initial settings to a file before you start playing around. that way you can go back if you have an issue.

Justin

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Thanks! I will look into calibration. I agree that the rubber shock absorbers seem quite stiff, but wouldn't know where to go to get softer replacements. I'm considering making a mount for the mount...

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Dealextreme has them. THESE are rather large and stiff. I used them as my main cage support for my mini.

I used THESE HK smaller and softer ones as my undercarriage stabilizers. They are probably what you might consider.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Thanks for the links!

I figured out the shakiness... It was the connection between the gimbal and the RX. It was solid as a rock until I fired up the hex, and the moment I pulled the servo wire from the RX (from the gimbal) it stopped. I will need to find another solution to control tilt, but in the mean time the video is solid.

As long as I'm not flying.

I also need to find a solution to the Jello. New vibration dampeners will likely help, but probably not eliminate the issue all together. Like I posted somewhere earlier, I/m going to look into a more forgiving mount and some gel adhesive between the motors and motor mounts. If that doesn't do it I will simply need to lower my standards. :)

nilsen

I made some of these http://www.stratus-productions.com/vibration-dampeners the design of which came from Mr Daniel at RCflighttest.

I just used PCB as the plates and then used a drill press to center the holes.

My advice if you are going to try this, save yourself the hastle and make them slightly larger, threading the cable through the small things is really finicky.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Last night in a raging fit of genius, I put thick weather stripping between the gimbal mount and the CF booms I have it mounted to. I will see what (if anything) that does, and if it doesn't work, that vibration dampner looks pretty viable. My only concern would be the weight of the gimbal. It's pretty heavy, and putting it on a mount like that seems to be a recipe for severe lateral movement. With a 2 axis gimbal, that spells "crappy video".

HawkMan

Thanks for the links!

I figured out the shakiness... It was the connection between the gimbal and the RX. It was solid as a rock until I fired up the hex, and the moment I pulled the servo wire from the RX (from the gimbal) it stopped. I will need to find another solution to control tilt, but in the mean time the video is solid.

As long as I'm not flying.

I also need to find a solution to the Jello. New vibration dampeners will likely help, but probably not eliminate the issue all together. Like I posted somewhere earlier, I/m going to look into a more forgiving mount and some gel adhesive between the motors and motor mounts. If that doesn't do it I will simply need to lower my standards. :)

this is a neat video i found on motor balancing.

https://youtu.be/RItntpZZH4g

i just need to find a similar android app, a sheet of those black vinyl stickers and get around to doing any of it :)