Glider Release Mech on Tow Aircraft - Brainstorm

bucket183

I have a Multiplex Funcub and a HK Versus DLG. I seemed to have lost the glider tow mech for the funcub but wanted to create something so that a friend can tow my DLG to great heights (why not throw it.....lazy I guess, plus this sounds fun :D)

So the rough idea that I have is to epoxy a small ring to the bottom of the dlg (needs more fwd CG anyway) and have a piece of fishing line connected to the plane (somewhere) and then to a servo (somewhere). So that one the servo is activated it releases the end of the line which then passes through the DLG ring and the DLG is released into the wild!!!

Any further thoughts on this or does someone have a different idea?? I want nothing on the DLG (ie no servos etc) so that it can be still a DLG but still have the ability to do some towed gliding. Remember I don't have the funcub glider mech.

Brainstorm......Go!!!!

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Check out Flite Test's simple tow release. It is probably a little too big to fit in your DLG, but you can probably make a smaller one using the same concept. You can see exactly how it works in the Simple Soarer build video around the 27 min mark.
ft-ele-tow-2__94583.1396881844.358.400.jpg

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
Funny to found this thread...
I tried out towing my hk dlg with a multiplex funcub.
Release mech was a piece of velcro.
First attempt was a failure because of the attitude the dlg got on the ground (pitch down because of the vertical stab hanging). We had to make a foam skid-landing gear for take off. Sorry, got no pic of that. I stopped after some weirds attemps ;)
Then we tried with my simple soarer and discovered the tow release mech was weak from the Funcub side...Works ok with FT simple tow release on the FT SS side :D
DLG and FT SS are both about 300gr