Going mainstream baby!

AlCurtis

I challenge Josh Bixler to petition Congress for our own FPV frequency spectrum. Cell phones, GPS, and even Televisions have their own frequencies. Check out ntia.doc.gov spectrum wall chart. A frequency dedicated to fpv without needing a ham license or any other bureaucratic headache would be ideal for our hobby. I'd gladly contribute to such a cause as I'm sure many of the Hobby businesses would too as it would be a great investment.

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
You're really stirring the pot with this idea. Don't get me wrong, I'm onboard 100%, a private frequency would be great. However, there is one BIG problem. The FAA is already on the war path with FPV, I'm not sure they'd be too pleased if we say "So what that you banned it, we just got our own frequency". I think it's a good idea, but that it should be brought up AFTER the FAA learns that the hobby poses no threat to the national airspace.

ExperimentalRC

You'd also have to worry about multiple people people on the same frequency. Now that mini quad racing has gotten so popular large events are starting to make separate flight lines for it. The technology for frequency hopping video transmission is just not there yet (VERY expensive).

AlCurtis

I understand what your saying but its not the FAA's department to determine which frequency is being used, its the FCC's.
I brought up the suggestion because we don't have a strong enough voice in Washington. Unless you've been completely oblivious to our political situation for quite some time "Money Talks" when it comes to politicians. The problem with the FAA is that they are going to create an exception for police and emergency services to use this technology, both which are civilian services. Establishing our own frequency might be a step in the right direction then we can challenge FAA. The air isn't only for airplanes, and the FAA surely doesn't own the air but don't think the government wouldn't use "divide and conquer" to put us on the ground. This hobby was here first but we need more lobbying power. An unrealistic approach perhaps but considering what I've seen come out of Government lately we're going to have to learn how to play their game.

We should HAVE radio frequencies for this already. The FCC allocates every bandwidth frequency for something. Surely one is already hobby video. I KNOW HAM's have that. To be legal, you need to be able to remote disconnect. If they allocateed frequencies for FPV/RC, they would likely need to split it into lots of rules. Commercial/non-commercial, amateur licensed/non-licensed, etc. And of course they would be telling us what power levels we cannot exceed.