Got to meet the FliteTest crew! (more details in thread)

TroysTube

Feel free to skip to the end is where I get to see the FliteTest crew and see a MultiGP event with other FPV racers, otherwise enjoy the airshow footage!

A few weeks ago I got to go to the EAA AirVenture Air Show for the first time. I really had an amazing day! I had no idea that FliteTest was going to be there! I've watched so many of their videos and it was so awesome to see them live in person. Meeting them has inspired me to get more involved here by creating an account and becoming active on the forums instead of just lurking.

I have to say that they were extremely friendly and were so encouraging to anyone including the youth to try flying R/C planes. I thought it was genius that they had a boat plan with a glider pigged backed on so they would climb up high, release the glider and then the kids could fly it down. I feel it's so important to get people involve to grow and challenge this hobby giving life to it. Also made me go home later and push my self as I saw a couple of kids who seemed to know the group really well fly race quads so fluid as some were even flying LOS so pro (better than I fly FPV). I was like mannnnnnnnnnnnn time to up my skills...

Josh was extremely nice and was so encouraging to drive a conversation. After talking to him for only a few mins, it felt like he was a personal friend. He made me feel so comfortable and encouraged me to meet the whole crew and spend some time with them. He was this way with everyone which I thought was fantastic and something you don't get to see behind the scenes. He said something that will stick with me forever and has motivated me in a positive way. He asked me to come meet the crew and hang out so when I asked him as I felt like I was intruding as I know I'm an outsider not part of their crew "are you sure I'm not imposing on you guys?" He responded: "If there's something I like more than planes, it's people." My response was something very awkward like "Oh a,,d,...a..dwlw heeeuurrr....." I literally didn't know what to say because at that moment I realized I've been kinda negative towards people as yes I've had a good amount of exposure to people that weren't the greatest from bad jobs ect. To hear someone I look up to truly be passionate about people was truly inspiring and provided me an outlook in life to follow.

I hope you guys enjoy this!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Awesome! I had a similar feeling meeting Josh and a bunch of the crew for the first time as well. Good people, inspiring others.

Also, welcome to the forums! :)

TroysTube

Awesome! I had a similar feeling meeting Josh and a bunch of the crew for the first time as well. Good people, inspiring others.

Also, welcome to the forums! :)

For sure, it also definitely inspired me to make more time for myself with this hobby as I truly enjoy it so much.

TroysTube

Luck that is nice I always want to go to Flite Fest, but never can, It is too expensive for 4 people.

This was actually in WI for the EAA AirVenture Airshow that's at Oshkosh WI. I'm pretty sure that was their first time there and said to be back next year. However the tickets there were about $40-$50 to get in but you didn't need to pay anything else to watch people fly R/C crafts.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Cool. Keegan and I were in your video too. :cool:

Welcome to the forums and the FT family. Thanks for sharing the video.

TroysTube

Oh, that is a bit closer, that would be maybe $500-600.

Ah I'm guessing you live in the west? $500-$600 for the whole family!?!? That's a big family!!! I think would even get it cheaper if you're an EAA member and I don't think everyone has to be a member to get the lower rate. I would highly recommend going as I went by myself but I'm sure a group of people would have a lot more fun.

TroysTube

Cool. Keegan and I were in your video too. :cool:

Welcome to the forums and the FT family. Thanks for sharing the video.

Oh no way! Did I get a chance to meet you guys!? If I don't recall this now it's because I'm really bad with remembering names but no problem with faces. Where you guys hanging around FliteTest crew while they were flying in the video?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Oh no way! Did I get a chance to meet you guys!? If I don't recall this now it's because I'm really bad with remembering names but no problem with faces. Where you guys hanging around FliteTest crew while they were flying in the video?

I don't think we met actually. It was pretty chaotic at the RC field on Friday night. I wasn't planning on going Friday, but Josh asked, so I went. So yeah, we were hanging around with the FT crew. Josh and I flew our prototype FT Super Bee's (Keegan actually came up with the name that night, I was going to call it the Twin Bee). Keegan and I were both flying the FT Sparrow off the piggy back from Michael on the Sea Duck. I also launched the Sea Duck for Josh when he was towing the Wyp Aviation WingBoard scale model. I think some of the footage they got from Oshkosh will make it into the FT Super Bee video next week.

8-17-2016 1-24-10 PM.png

8-17-2016 1-25-21 PM.png

Last edited:

TroysTube

I don't think we met actually. It was pretty chaotic at the RC field on Friday night. I wasn't planning on going Friday, but Josh asked, so I went. So yeah, we were hanging around with the FT crew. Josh and I flew our prototype FT Super Bee's (Keegan actually came up with the name that night, I was going to call it the Twin Bee). Keegan and I were both flying the FT Sparrow off the piggy back from Michael on the Sea Duck. I also launched the Sea Duck for Josh when he was towing the Wyp Aviation WingBoard scale model. I think some of the footage they got from Oshkosh will make it into the FT Super Bee video next week.

Ah yes I do remember seeing you guys but no I didn't get a chance a to meet but I'm glad I at least get to do so through here!

I remember the launching of the sea-ducks vividly, especially when launching them with the what I thought was a surfer/silver surfer (formally known as the Wyp Aviation WingBoard scale model?) attached as it was hilarious (I'll explain for people not there) because basically the whole method was to throw air plane, and then fall immediately to avoid trailing object on a string. It was awesome!

That's so cool, I'm glad you posted a response! What brought you to that air show?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
That's so cool, I'm glad you posted a response! What brought you to that air show?

I live about 20 minutes south of Oshkosh. This was Keegan's (my son) 18th AirVenture in-a-row. He's only 17 years old. He was 6 months when I took him the first time, and we've been going ever since! Was only planning to be there on Saturday, but Josh told me they were going to be flying RC at Pioneer Airport Friday. Got the text at 4:00 pm, got RC gear packed and made it to the Pioneer Airport by 6:00 pm. Glad I went, it was a lot of fun flying and hanging out with Josh and his kids.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I remember the launching of the sea-ducks vividly, especially when launching them with the what I thought was a surfer/silver surfer (formally known as the Wyp Aviation WingBoard scale model?) attached...

That WingBoard is a small scale version of a project that is being worked on. Check it out here:

I got a chance to talk to the guy who is developing it a little on Saturday. Pretty cool stuff.

...(I'll explain for people not there) because basically the whole method was to throw air plane, and then fall immediately to avoid trailing object on a string. It was awesome!

Yeah, I got hit in the back of the head by the WingBoard! :D

TroysTube

That WingBoard is a small scale version of a project that is being worked on. Check it out here:

I got a chance to talk to the guy who is developing it a little on Saturday. Pretty cool stuff.

Yeah, I got hit in the back of the head by the WingBoard! :D

Oh wow I had no idea this was a scale version of something life size that's being worked on. Holy cow that's awesome (looks dangerous but I would probably try it someday..) Thanks for showing me that!

My dad took me here when I was way too young to really remember so it's really awesome to hear you guys have such and awesome tradition. I'll deff be making more of an effort to come back each year now and I'm not sure why I never got back into as I love aviation so much. Was it pretty packed on Saturday? I felt Friday was perfect.

Also I did see the wing board have a fly by on your noggin! I wasn't flying anything but man did I have so much fun just watching you guys!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Oh wow I had no idea this was a scale version of something life size that's being worked on. Holy cow that's awesome (looks dangerous but I would probably try it someday..) Thanks for showing me that!

My dad took me here when I was way too young to really remember so it's really awesome to hear you guys have such and awesome tradition. I'll deff be making more of an effort to come back each year now and I'm not sure why I never got back into as I love aviation so much. Was it pretty packed on Saturday? I felt Friday was perfect.

Also I did see the wing board have a fly by on your noggin! I wasn't flying anything but man did I have so much fun just watching you guys!

Not sure I'll ever ride a WingBoard, but it's a cool concept!

Come up next year and make sure you bring something to fly at Pioneer Airport in the evening. We'll be there next year. Saturday is usually the busiest day of the show, but it's also typically the best day, at least in my experience. I like it because they have the regular air show during the day and another air show at night. Makes for a really long day, but we love it. They also to the night air show on Wednesday.

TroysTube

Yes, we have a family of 4, I live in SoCal. It would actually be more since the car, hotel, plane transport.

Oh man that would be quite expensive... A lot of people camp there which is what I'm planning on doing next year as it seems like a no brainier. I love camping, meeting good people, and aviation which this has all three! Might be a cheaper option to drive out an camp but would be quite a commitment on your end.

TroysTube

Not sure I'll ever ride a WingBoard, but it's a cool concept!

Come up next year and make sure you bring something to fly at Pioneer Airport in the evening. We'll be there next year. Saturday is usually the busiest day of the show, but it's also typically the best day, at least in my experience. I like it because they have the regular air show during the day and another air show at night. Makes for a really long day, but we love it. They also to the night air show on Wednesday.

I'm coming next year for sure and I'd like to see how I could camp there as I love camping. Plus just to be there for the weekend and not have to worry about traffic each day, parking, and when to leave would be so nice! I had no idea they had a night show until I saw FT video on this event (which is waaaaaaay better than mine). I had no idea this event was this big so I deff have to do a lot better planning for next year.