Green light, Yellow light, Red light (power pods)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ok, so this has nothing to do with lights, it just seemed catchy . . .

I love the swappable power pod concept, but noticed that from build-to-build, some of the contents of the pods are tweaked for the plane (kinda defeating the "swappability" concept). As you grow your selection of swappables, this is only going to get worse.

My suggestion - three pod sets:

Green - a 75W-ish, low speed for the docile flyer
Yellow - a 150W-ish, medium speed for a little more pep or pulling something bigger
Red - a 200W+, high speed pod for zipping around or pulling something bigger w/ authority

The color coding would all be in the suggested parts, but would simplify the "for this plane we recommend . . . " when it comes to sizing the parts in the pods.

It would also simplify the swappability among airframes (I know these X planes like green or yellow, but not red, and these y planes one love the yellow pod, but are flyable on green or red, and these Z planes hate the green but love the red).

It would also give us poor noobs more than one "known good" configurations to start tweaking up and down from in order to get what we want out of a pod for a given airframe.

I don't want to get to the point I'll only follow the "golden" spec for a plane, but would like having good starting points for the common plane and flying styles I'm seeing.

OutcastZeroOne

Fly, yes... Land, no
Agreed. there are minor differances from plane to plane for tiny tweeks for the power pod. It just goes to show their really isnt a "one size fits all" answer for everything. Some kind of clasification system for those tinny diferances between model specs would be good.

I have to deal with the same thing with my cars. I have a 1983 Dodge Ram 50 with the Mitsubishi 2.6 and a 1985 Mitsubishi Starion with the "same" 2.6. But once you start looking closer the only thing that is the same on those two engines is the timing chain cover, timing chain, and distributor. 30 years later and the cloud of haze called finding parts is even worse.

So I fully agree there should be some kind of identification system.