Guillows dc-3

cj_ace5

I recently bought a guillows dc-3 at a hobbyshop. I thought about converting it to rc. Any recommendations for electronics and tips? Thanks.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Which version do you have? Guillows makes a ton of various models in different sizes so it good to let us know which one you are working on so we can steer you in the right direction. You may also want to add the model type to the Sopwith thread for the same reason.
If no one has said it yet, Welcome to the forum!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I was afraid it might be the display model. While you can make this one fly, you're probably going to need to change out most of the balsa and even make some modifications to the way the kit is built to make it light enough to be flyable. Given all that, you can try to find some motors that fit into the cowling and that are a higher Kv so you can run a 2S setup. I use these on my 48" Ptero twin and they work great. You'll need to make sure you know what the stock prop size needs to be to look scale so those motors may not work for you. As far as radio gear, You have a ton of tiny lightweight options to choose from.
Check out some of these:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...42&v=&sortlist=W&LiPoConfig=&CatSortOrder=asc

cj_ace5

Thanks for the link, ya I'll probably have to mod some things on it I'll have to look at other forums.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
There are a few others on here that balsa build but not as many as RCGroups has. One in particular that is here is Joker 53150. Fantastic kitbashing and just plane cool balsa stuff.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'd stay clear of him, he's not "stable".

I didn't look up that kit at all, but have you done much work with balsa? Converting a model to RC has been done quite often as documented on RC Groups, but from what I've seen some of the conversions take a lot of extra skill to accomplish. And a LOT more patience than I would personally have.