Guillows L-19/O-1e build

PHerder

Probably will not be many updates as I am working several builds at this time (2 ARFs of larger, much larger, L-19/O-1e, one is 47" wingspan, the other 98.4").

Guillows O-1e build.jpg

You might be able to see the bushed motor mounted and the RX/ESC/servo platform sitting next to the left wing. I am still figuring out the best way to mount it. The electronics came out of Nieuport 17 micro that disassembled itself on a gym hardwood floor. :(

I have modified the rear controls to be functional since this plane was originally designed for rubber band free flight. I don't know how they expected to wind up the rubber band and have the structure not collapse... I just handle it and have to rebuild the pieces that break... :mad:

This the second balsa plane I have tried to build after a 45 year layoff... If this works, I have a Guillows Cessna 150 that is actually designed for RC (and FF and CL) that I will build.

I have Doculam (1.5mm) to cover it. I used it before on my micro Piper L-4 Grasshopper build.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Wow, Awesome job so far! I've been waiting for someone to do one of these! Those flyzone parts work beautifully, great choice there too.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
The last Guillows kit I had was the Bird Dog. It's sad how close I got to finishing when I gave up on it. I made the mistake of using Elmer's School Glue. It is a strong enough glue for a free flight model (I never tried making any of them RC) but the dry times are painful.

PHerder

Well I guess I am just trying to reinvent the wheel here. I did a search on RC Groups and found 4 different builds, two of which they even put in ailerons!

I did read them all and found some good info to use on my birddog (i.e. put the electronics as far forward as possible to NOT have to use a lot of weight to balance the plane.)

I have been using a combo of different glues, thin and medium CA, modeling glue and a glue that is normally used for foam but reports it will bond to anything so here goes!

PHerder

Finished up the 47" ARF L-19/O-1e from Hyperion and returned to the Guillow's L-19/O-1e which is a LOT smaller! ;)

IMG_20141122_163638.jpg

I started the covering with the rudder and elevator. Next is the wing and then the fuselage.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Are you using the covering that comes with the kit? I've got a P-40 which I started a while back and was thinking of using the So-Lite covering instead of tissue - if I ever finish it...!

Was this kit a die-cut or laser cut? It looks like a die-cut as I don't see any laser marks.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I may shortly be the proud owner of an un-started Jenny kit of 32" span so it's a bit larger than this one but still should be a fun kit. Never done a bipe! :D
I'll be watching to see how this one turns out, for sure!

PHerder

Are you using the covering that comes with the kit? I've got a P-40 which I started a while back and was thinking of using the So-Lite covering instead of tissue - if I ever finish it...!

Was this kit a die-cut or laser cut? It looks like a die-cut as I don't see any laser marks.

I am using 1.5mm Duculam film. I.e. it comes in 500 foot rolls, 12" wide and I had to buy 2 rolls. I have enough film to cover the earth! ;) It was $16 close out on eBay.

It starts out cloudy but once heat is applied, it turns clear. Since this (and the L-4 I built earlier) are the first covering jobs I have tried, it has been a little tricky to get right. I would have been better served to use thinned dope or white glue to put on the tissue (that came with the kit). I guess practice will make my covering look better.

As for whether it is die-cut or laser cut, Guillows state that they are laser cut now but I don't see any laser marks either. Just checked my Cessna 150 kit and it does have laser marks so I guess I got a older die-cut kit for the L19/O-1e.

PHerder

I may shortly be the proud owner of an un-started Jenny kit of 32" span so it's a bit larger than this one but still should be a fun kit. Never done a bipe! :D
I'll be watching to see how this one turns out, for sure!

I have a 36" Bristol Scout bipe (short kit) that I have had for a while. Need to start on it myself!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I am using 1.5mm Duculam film. I.e. it comes in 500 foot rolls, 12" wide and I had to buy 2 rolls. I have enough film to cover the earth! ;) It was $16 close out on eBay.

It starts out cloudy but once heat is applied, it turns clear. Since this (and the L-4 I built earlier) are the first covering jobs I have tried, it has been a little tricky to get right. I would have been better served to use thinned dope or white glue to put on the tissue (that came with the kit). I guess practice will make my covering look better.

As for whether it is die-cut or laser cut, Guillows state that they are laser cut now but I don't see any laser marks either. Just checked my Cessna 150 kit and it does have laser marks so I guess I got a older die-cut kit for the L19/O-1e.

The doculam doesn't shrink as much as the "normal" iron on coverings but seems to work well as long as you take that into account. It also doesn't seem to warp frames as easily either, probably for the same reason.

Should be easy to tell die-cut as it will be dimpled at the cuts on one side of the parts. Not so easy now that you are done, but you know what to look for next time! :D

PHerder

The doculam doesn't shrink as much as the "normal" iron on coverings but seems to work well as long as you take that into account. It also doesn't seem to warp frames as easily either, probably for the same reason.

Should be easy to tell die-cut as it will be dimpled at the cuts on one side of the parts. Not so easy now that you are done, but you know what to look for next time! :D

On the Cessna 150 kit, I can easily see the dark lines where the parts have been cut by laser. On the L-19/O-1e kit, there are no dark lines except where the wood has been printed on.

I just looked at both boxes and the Cessna 150 box states it has laser cut parts, the O-1e Bird Dog box states it was die-cut. A quick look at the web site (http://www.guillow.com/index.aspx) didn't come up with how the kits are cut.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Laser is cleaner since there is no crushed wood as the dies wear and get dull. But either is easier than cutting out your own parts on a printed sheet of balsa! Some of the earliest manufactured kits were just that, balsa with no cuts, just printed parts.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I was going to say. I'm pretty sure Guillow still die cuts the small kits. The larger ones they laser cut. I think they have said that they were going to make all the kits laser cut, but personally I don't see how it would make sense to laser cut such a small kit. To me it seems that a die cutter would do a better job with small, detailed pieces. Plus the laser cutter would just raise the price to something not practical.

PHerder

More work done on the plane. Have it all covered. RC gear (brick that has the RX, ESC and two servos on board), and started on the "stiff paper" cowlings. Still have to put in the control rods and figure out what to do with the battery.

I need the battery as far forward to get the CG close and may still have to add a little weight to the front end to get the balance correct.

AND then I will paint it in USAF colors (light grey). It will then sort of match my 75" wingspan version. :D

L-19Covered.jpg