Help me? Chronicals of a guy who can't fly very well...

PlaY80

Every build has something special , on plans or on laser cut … does not make any difrence . the type of glue you use , and most important the angles will make it have his own personality. just keep on going and you will find what you like to fly. I have like … 10 builds most of them crashed in the first 20 seconds .

Last edited:

PlaY80

It really is a sweet place to be, and as long as I keep it high or in front of me, no worries about the water. Eventually I want to build a waterplane.

Theres some nice jumps more to the left that would be perfect for my old team associated B4.

:)) got u there … since I am expecting some parts from China for my Scout, and some good foam let me show you in a minute what I have done with my ex "scout" :)

Attachments

• 36063686_10155312471411721_4342079243241390080_n.jpg
    36063686_10155312471411721_4342079243241390080_n.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 36137247_10155312469471721_4426015466984570880_n.jpg
    36137247_10155312469471721_4426015466984570880_n.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
xunedeinx
You lucky stiff! You have almost every possible landing field type at your door. Manicured lawn, water, rough field, trees, hole in the ground, earth banks, neighbors roofs, neighbors yards and possibly even ice and snow in winter. Here I just get manicured lawn or trees!
A little jealous here!

Have fun!

xunedeinx

xunedeinx
You lucky stiff! You have almost every possible landing field type at your door. Manicured lawn, water, rough field, trees, hole in the ground, earth banks, neighbors roofs, neighbors yards and possibly even ice and snow in winter. Here I just get manicured lawn or trees!
A little jealous here!

Have fun!
Id love a little ice and snow, but being right next to sun n fun in beautiful Plant City Florida, I doubt that'll happen. The last year I lived in NH in 2010, we had snow as deep as I am tall and -20 degree weather.

Did you see? I even have trees to land on!

Namactual

Elite member
Ice and snow are great when you are a kid. Even today I am still fond the winter for the memories and such.

Then you have to stand outside in sub-zero temperatures scraping 2" of solid ice off of your windshield. Shovel 2' of snow off of your sidewalk and driveway. Drive to work on ice and snow covered roads which is bad enough, but you add idiot drivers who think their 4wd/awd vehicle will stop on ice faster than everyone else.

...yeah, the nostalgia/novelty off snow wears off real quick.

I am a little jealous.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I started my work day today at 4:00AM. It's almost 6:00 right now and coffee in hand I am enjoying the sunrise on the back patio. It's 65* here at 6,300 ft above sea level and I will likely ride the motorcycle into the office later today. The birds are singing in the trees, the flowers are blooming, the grass is green and there is no ice to scrape.

We don't get days like this in December.

Remembering the snow helps me appreciate days like this. I think I'm gonna pour another cup and pet the dogs out on my patio some more. Work and winter can both wait. :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Once I hide some cash from the misses, I'll get a couple 2s 800mah lipos, and maybe a few SF props. Would a 8" SF on the 2306 2200kv with 2s be too much for the motor? Good advice. Also, ill find a way to attach the camera to my head for yall, or figure something out.

See if you can find the motor spec sheet for your specific 2306 motor - here's a sample from a similar motor but who knows if it's the same manufacturer for the real power specs

DR-MT-RCinPower-2306-2200kv-4pc-Set-m1.jpg

All the specs in this sheet are for 3s and 4s batteries. Even with a 5" prop on a 3s battery (11.1v) it's pulling 158.7 watts of power which turns a TT into a rocket. A fun rocket when your thumbs are ready though :)

If your motor specs are similar to the image above, and with a rough guesstimate looking at the nearly 50% drop in power by going from 4s to 3s while using the same prop, I'd try going with a 7x4SF prop on 2s - or maybe an 8x4 SF. Both of them would be very same from an amps perspective using a 2s battery - no worries about burning up this motor there. But a 7x4 would be the biggest prop I'd try on 3s without some bench testing using a watt meter.

Jeeper

Rockboy, exactly!! Drop down to a 2 cell swinging a 7-8" SF prop and it'd probably be perfect for a trainer. You can always add cells and drop in prop diameter later to add some speed. For now, keep it slow and in control. Looking at that motor spec sheet, it weighs 32 Grams. That's twice as heavy as the 'A' motor that they recommend. On an 8 ounce airframe, that's around 8%. Add in a battery that's an ounce heavier, servos that are 1/2 ounce heavier, etc. and now you're at 25% heavier. More weight is not a good thing on little, light airframes and a little here, a little there will really add up at the end and totally change the flight characteristics.

Potter

Watching that video was like watching my mini scout and nutball repetitively end their own lives!

Good idea on the throws and expo. How much more do u think I should cut them back? My biggest worry is with higher expo and shorter throws, I would be unable to save myself from the near misses I seem to work myself into.

What kills me is I years of flight sim time, almost 20 hrs of scale flight in a 172, and am great at rc buggys. I feel like this should be easier than it is.

My wife thinks its hysterial. Im an engineer by trade, and she says Im great and design and building, just leave it to someone else to operate it! It kills me!

I have the same problem. on our trip to Hawaii one of the stewardess hurried to the front of the plane and my sister say I hope something didn't happen to the pilot, my brother responds Brian can fly us there with the amount of flight sim time he has. I know it's different but I've been flying sims sense Microsoft flight sim 98 and rc sims sense gosh 2011 I should be an expert well in theory I am. I've decided the kind of plane I want is something long. something with a wide wing span and dihedral, no rudder. I also figured out why I keep landing in trees no landing gear duh I can't believe I didn't realize this sooner.

now for the weather it should be about 75 degrees calm with the wind if any blowing along the long edge of the flying field.

xunedeinx

Heres the specs for my 2 motors. 28 and 30g.

How about this idea...

Instead of buying more motors and supplies, how much more weight can I get out of my TT?

1 9g servo for ails instead of 2, depaperd fuse both sides and tape outside, can go lighter on glue. Just the depaper and taping would save a lot right?

My battery 3s 40c 800mah 90g, motor 28g, 3 9g servos, and 30a esc is 32g. Thats 177g.

Recommend 1806 is 19g, 2s 40c 800mah 59g, 4 5g servos, 18a esc 21g.
Thats 119g.

Shouldnt be too hard to make up the 58g extra that my plane weighs? Just 2 small ounces so I can fly my plane at its rated weight with the gear I have.

Screenshot_20180626-145737_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20180626-145846_Drive.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Heres the specs for my 2 motors. 28 and 30g.

How about this idea...

Instead of buying more motors and supplies, how much more weight can I get out of my TT?

1 9g servo for ails instead of 2, depaperd fuse both sides and tape outside, can go lighter on glue. Just the depaper and taping would save a lot right?

My battery 3s 40c 800mah 90g, motor 28g, 3 9g servos, and 30a esc is 32g. Thats 177g.

Recommend 1806 is 19g, 2s 40c 800mah 59g, 4 5g servos, 18a esc 21g.
Thats 119g.

Shouldnt be too hard to make up the 58g extra that my plane weighs? Just 2 small ounces so I can fly my plane at its rated weight with the gear I have.

View attachment 109461 View attachment 109462
Firstly I would not remove the paper from the outside of the plane. The paper is always going to keep the shape better than the bare foam wrapped in tape. The last thing you need is a flexing fuselage whilst you are trying to learn to fly.
The problem of a heavy TT is that it needs to fly fast to stay airborne. A different wing or a wing of larger span would reduce the wing loading significantly and hence its minimum flying speed.

One other thing is that the original sport wing has a cut back LE on the wing tips. Whilst this looks nice it is actually reducing the wing lift at low speeds as the tips can stall way before the remainder of the wing. This stalling reduces the effective wing area as you try to land and so landing speed must be maintained. A cut away TE instead would introduce washout but would also reduce lift at normal flying speeds. Fit a piece of scrap to fill in the wing LE cutouts will improve wing lift and lower landing speeds. (if done properly it can be later removed for when you are up to handling the faster bird).

As for your servo usage, I have used 3.7 Gram servos mounted in the tail boom, (through the sides from the exterior), and used very short pushrods. The same size work well in the wings as well. 4 x 9 = 36Gram, 4x 3.7 = 14.8Gram, a saving on paper of 21.2Grams. Do not tape the plane but rather, (if you want to decorate), seal and paint LIGHTLY!

Regardless of what you do to lighten the plane go small of the prop and easy on the throttle. Let it cruise around at moderate speed until you can launch, fly and land without any hint of drama and then when you are confident up the prop and weight and go for it!

Have fun!

Jeeper

Hai-lee hit it on the head as have you Xune. A few grams here, a few there. Xune, using your numbers that's a difference of 58 grams just in the electronics. That's just over 2 ounces. On a 10 ounce plane, that's 20% increase in weight. Strapping tape on wings adds strength, but adds weight. It all adds up and can totally change the flying characteristics of a plane. I have built planes in the past with the thought of making them more crash resistant. A little more bracing here, an extra bit of plywood and glue there. the weight adds up in the end. Build them to fly, not to crash. Lol

xunedeinx

Firstly I would not remove the paper from the outside of the plane. The paper is always going to keep the shape better than the bare foam wrapped in tape. The last thing you need is a flexing fuselage whilst you are trying to learn to fly.

Have fun!

Ty, but too late for that lol.

Jeeper

Meh. I've built worse warped, bent, twisted airframes that flew just fine. Lol. I should have my TT and Mini Scout quickbuild stuff and power pack delivered in the next few days so I'll take a swing at building one probably this weekend.

xunedeinx

Chose a tad more weight for the front end for crashability.
Removed paper and 77'd some flourescent poster board in its place.
15300599456976276481397701225242.jpg

xunedeinx

Battery, esc, and motor is 157.4g.
Plane,wing, 4 9g servos, and rx is 252.7g
Auw is 410.1g or 14.46 oz or 0.901lb.

Not bad considering the wings 8 inches longer and the poor choice of overpower electronics. Ill do the wing losding in a second.