Hi! A few questions about the FT Sea Duck. I just bought my first kit ever.

mayoman23

What tint of red and yellow should I use for the Sea Duck? Would a maroon and mustard scheme work? I would like to make it look weathered. Is acrylic a good paint? And lastly, should I seal the foam board with packaging tape before or after I paint? Thanks so very much. I am so excited to start this project!

f-35lover

Maroon and mustard would work but it really is your decision. to make it look weathered you may weather it with a airbrush or dry brush it. acrylics work and they are less toxic. ahh i dont know about tape will you please tell me more about it? hope it helps

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
What tint of red and yellow should I use for the Sea Duck? Would a maroon and mustard scheme work? I would like to make it look weathered. Is acrylic a good paint? And lastly, should I seal the foam board with packaging tape before or after I paint? Thanks so very much. I am so excited to start this project!
I agree with F35, the choice of colors are completely up to you. If you are new to flying, I would not put much effort into making the plane look great. For most, your first several planes are sacrificial in learning to fly, they may not last long before needing repairs. Learn to fly first, then work on making the plane look great. We are not looking for a masterpiece, just a little color to help you see the plane while learning,

When a plane is in the sky the colors tend to blend together, only dark & light show up. In a bright sky, dark colors will be more visible, in an overcast sky, light colors show up better. I like to have a dark & a light color on both the top & bottom of the plane. I prefer to have the top look different than the bottom. Others prefer to make the left different from the right. It's all your choice.

The foam in FT kits is already waterproof, no need for the tape. If you want to tape it, I would paint first. I have not had any luck getting paint to stick to tape. Whatever you do, test it on some scrap foam first, as some paints will eat the foam. Spray can paints are tricky, mostly it's the propellent that eats foam. Some have had great results by holding the can 18 inches away from the foam. This gives time for the propellant to evaporate before it hits the foam. The bottom line: TEST, TEST, TEST.