Hi there from Australia!

SuperFrodo

So to start of, I made an account on this forum in 2014 but never posted anything, it was actually after then that I drifted away from the hobby.

I started RC back in 2008 with a Classic EP electric trainer. It didn't take long to crash it, and with it being made of balsa and "first plane excitement" I was pretty torn up. A nice senior in the hobby was kind enough to rebuild the nose of my plane so that it was able to fly again (although the shorter nose made it tail-heavy).

After moving around a bunch I had nowhere to fly my plane. Being the only young kid at a club full of old guys didn't seem all that fun to me, so I didn't touch my plane for a long time. It was a while before I decided to join a club again, and after charging my LiPos that hadn't been touched for a few years I was flying again, and it was during a club auction that I snagged an un-built Yak-54 ARF and threw in the electronics from my Classic EP to make it go. I actually have a video I made from that time:

I also took the plunge and tried out a T-Rex 450 Sport, but I didn't fly it that much and now I'm too scared to fly it. I'll hopefully sell it to someone who will enjoy it more.After that I stopped flying RC.

At some point I stumbled upon Flite Test back when they were still at Chad's doing videos for HobbyKing. When I saw the video on them I got a Nano QX and a DX8 for use with Bind and Fly stuff that my Aurora 9 couldn't do, but all I could really bring myself to doing was flying the Nano QX around and building just the wing of the Bloody Wonder, but since my printer wouldn't print the plans to scale, and it was hard enough doing the wing with sloppy plans (forget doing the power-pod and fuselage). I guess I stopped there because I just lost the motivation with having to go through a bunch of hoops just to build a simple plane.

Fast forward to today and I am a private pilot and I am in the process of doing my multi-engine instrument rating and my commercial licence, and now I've given the hobby another chance by building my own version of the nutball that was super simple and thrown together quickly. It has elevons, less polyhedral, and no fuselage.

http://i.imgur.com/5FPZxzD.jpg

There is even a big unoccupied block of land just across the street that has plenty of room to fly in. Flying this plane has encouraged me to get back into the hobby, and now that I have crashed my nutball just today, I can build something else with the electronics, and soon enough, the Libelle DLG I ordered (I always wanted to try gliding after watching David) will be here as well.

I love what Flite Test does and the way they approach the hobby. They enjoy trying new things, pushing the boundaries (and sometimes crashing because of it), and as they would say; making memories, because when you do some of the crazy stuff they do, you probably won't forget it any time soon.
And if there are any folks on this forum who live near Melton, Victoria in Australia who like flying scratch-built electrics and/or gliders, let me know and we can fly together sometime!

Oh, and if you're interested, the full-scale aircraft I've flown are the Cessna 150 and 152's, Piper PA-28 Warrior and Archer II, PA-28R Arrow, and the Piper PA-34-200T Seneca II.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome back to the fun (again)!

I also love tossing "used" electronics into a new airframe and getting a new flying experience for just a couple bucks of foam board. :)

SuperFrodo

Welcome back to the fun (again)!

I also love tossing "used" electronics into a new airframe and getting a new flying experience for just a couple bucks of foam board. :)

I kinda wish I had two sets of the same motor and speed controller so I could build a Guinea Pig, those things look amazing, and I want to try to do engine failures with them to see if it can be managed the same way as in a real twin-engine aircraft. Obviously you can't feather the propeller on the failed engine, but you can at least stop the windmilling by setting up a brake on the motor.
I also want to try using RC buggy shock absorbers to make shock absorbing landing gear for silky smooth landings.

Nephiliam

Hey Super Frodo Welcome!

I'm from Darwin Aust, good to have you aboard. Ive had my Commercial/ ATPL for 25 years and my flight time has been rewarding, wait till you get into turbines - its the way to go.

Good luck with your licence and also getting back into the hobby.

Cheers N