Hitec X4 AC Plus fan weirdness

CavRecon

Yesterday, I splurged and invested in a Hitec X4 AC Plus from my local hobby shop. So far I am pretty pumped up, but have one concern I am hoping someone might shed some light on.

Specifically, I was running the “Storage” charge program on some 2S LiPo packs before putting them away for the week. Things seemed to be working fine, drawing the packs to the target voltage. However, I noticed after awhile, the fan on the charger would kick on, run for a second or two and then shut off. A few seconds later it would do the same thing. Eventually, it got into a cycle of on/off/on/off of only a second or so each. It seemed like things were going nuts!

I tried stopping and restarting the charge, running the program on different ports on the unit and different packs with the same results. While the noise is annoying, I’m most concerned that there is something wrong with the unit and that we’re really doing a number on the fan control.

The manual doesn't seem to shed any light on this. Has anyone else seen this? Is it normal or is there a way to correct?

Thanks!

CavRecon

Stopped by the shop today and asked them if they had ever had problems with the charger and got a blank stare from the young dude behind the counter. Then, he started giving me an explanation about it using PWM to regulate the fan speed.

While I'm open to the idea, the 1-2 second period of these "pulses" would not be any kind of PWM with which I'm familiar.

Appreciate any insight or thoughts the community may offer.