Hk radios need not apply

andybenton

NERD!!!! :)
I'm looking to move away from spektrum, but I'm having a hard time deciding on a radio system.

It's a toss up between the hitec Aurora 9. Not the 9x
And the new futaba t10j. This radio broadcasts on fhss. Not fasst.

I'm looking for opinions on each, I know the heli crowd in some paces feel like the hitec is "slow"
And that is weird to me. As for the futaba, I know people rave about fasst, but what about fhss? Is it a bad or worse protocol?

Both radios have telemetry, 9-10 channels, sliders, assignable switches, and all that good stuff. And the futaba is nearly 100 bucks cheaper.

So I'm mainly interested in the frequency protocols, which at this point I don't understand all that well.

What I do know is I'm tired of spektrum, my dsm2 system has been shot down twice.
The one this afternoon cost me an old balsa build of my grandfathers and the promptly found it's way into the consignment case at the lhs.

Thanks for any help
Andy

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
I'm afraid I'm not personally familiar with the Hitec radios (although if David likes them, they must be good)... but the Futaba T10J is a pretty nice radio. One thing I like about it is the multicopter specific features it has, as well as a full range of options for gliders, both of which were unfortunately forgotten about on the T8J.

As for S-FHSS being worse... well relative to FASST, yes it is. But it is well on the par with most of the other systems out there, and FASST is just really well ahead of them all. One disadvantage of S-FHSS is the lack of "other brand" receivers out there, which is somethibg on the other hand that FASST doesn't tend to suffer, being fully supported by Corona, Orange and FrSky. The protocol in itself is a good one, and in fact is one of the chosen BNF options by Align, which is a good company in itself.

I wonder, what are your reasons for choosing these 2 radios? I mean, if it's price range, then maybe the T8FG-Super would be a good option for you, being FASST, and therefore readily compatible with many other brands of receivers, and has a great number of features, including your sliders and knobs. As for the Spektrum DSM2 dilema, maybe you just need to port to the DSMX protocol. One thing Spektrum is infamous for is brownouts on receivers due to voltage drops. One thing that can solve this is just adding a nice big capacitor between the positive and negative poles on the receiver... in fact there are a great range of them availabe in many places like HK that you just plug into a free channel port on the receiver. Just saying, might not be the time yet to give up on your Spektrum...

andybenton

Price, features, telemetry is a requirement, and of course aesthetics.

The t10j is a slick looking transmitter haha.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into that

I'm certain it wasn't a brownout as I was running a fresh reciever pack and in straight level flight.
Other reasons I don't like the spectrums anymore is they "feel cheap and plasticy"
I don't care for the looks or the feel honestly. My dx6i is lacking some of the higher end features (programmable switches, limited mixes, no sliders)

I'd also like a radio I can use a module in, as I'd like to get a 433mhz lrs in all eventuality

Basicly, I'm not bashing spektrum, I'm just ready to move onward and upward

c172ae

Pro plane crasher
I have a friend with a Aurora 9, and have flown a fair bit with it.

GO BUY IT!

It is really what I would call the best radio out there if you have the money to buy it. It is very easy to program and sits really nice in my hands (your mileage may vary). also, it looks good.

Adrian (the guy with a Turnigy radio...)

andybenton

thanks, ive handled the hitec and it is nice, but im trying to find a shop with the futaba in stock that is local to me so I can handle the both of them before making a final decision.

im not locked in on either of these radios, they are just the two first ones ive came across that have all the things I want and are in the price range that im looking to spend.

adding in Eitaph's suggestion pretty much just made me even more undecided.
all three of them would serve me well im sure, but this is a long term investment, I need the transmitter and around 6 receivers to go along with it :)

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Well... The T8FG-Super doesn't have telemetry unfortunatly... And neither of then can plug in modules for the 433mhz option unless you do a little modding and make your own cable to plug the module into the trainer port much like you would an Anylink system. You can di the same with the FrSky module on the T8FG-Super to use the ACCST telemetry, or even use the internal "hack" module in a small box plugged into the trainer port, but you will still need the external screen for the telemetry to work.

Flynn

I fly both DSM2 and DSMX at my local soccer field. And I never see any trouble. That's because there is no interference at my local field. Then I went to a Fun Fly and flew both DSM2 and DSMX. I did experience a little trouble once or twice with the DSM2 receiver I was using. But the DSMX flew great the entire 2 days.

just my 2 cents.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
A good friend uses Hitec AFHSS in his 150MPH+ pylon racers. He has never had a brown out or signal glitch with it, and absolutely loves it.

Oh, I'm sure that spektrum is fine 99% of the time, but all of my flying fields are surrounded on 3 sides by power and transmission lines. (including the AMA field)

There just isn't a DSM/ DSSS system that can handle that strength of interference. :(

Last edited:

andybenton

I guess at this point it's going to come down to which one feels better in hand. Transmitters are a tough one. It's a big investment and decision.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
How about the Taranis system? The radio is really good, lots of memories, channels, telemetry, the kitchen sink basically!! Another good thing is the ACCST protocol it uses is VERY stable and one of the best out there in fact, the receivers are cheap and there is a large variety of them to choose from for different size applications. Also it can be used with modules, which opens up not only the 433mhz door, but also any nomber of protocols, including the DSM one to still be able to use your existing receivers with the "don't care if they crash and burn" parkfliers you might have, not to mention all the BNFs that are out on that side of the pond, or another module with the Flysky protocol which opens up a great deal of WLToys stuff, not to mention all those cheap receivers you can get. It is really a very versitile little radio. The ONLY thing about it is how "manual" it is, which on one hand can make programming a little more complicated and involving, but at the same time, I personally prefere that option as you are not bound to some of the laws like "this mix isn't possible" or "I can't use a small 4ch receiver and still have independent ailerons"...