Need a Transmitter looking at a couple would like help.

Taka

Greetings Fellow Hobbyists,

First time poster long time lurker and fan of Flite Test and what they have brought to the hobby. I am returning to the hobby of rc flight after about 10 years off. Was into rc helis at the time, but have been into rc one way another since the late 80s from rc10 racing to more recently RC Rock Crawling. I have a big birthday coming up ie turning 40, so I wanna get back into rc flight. This time planes then helis with the FT Swapables being my main interest right now and possibly adding a quad soon after, the any-copter 370 quad looks like a nice frame.

Anyways long story short...too late I know. :p

To get to the point of why im posting in the radio/transmitter section is I'am looking for opinions on a radio system. I used to have Futaba radios years ago but recently Spektrum since I have a DX4S for my rock crawler.

I have been looking at the following, Airtronics Aquilia-6, Spektrum DX6 or the DX9 but also Turnigy 9XR, Orange. Also since reading the forum the FrSky Taranis since everyone keeps mentioning it. To me it seems like it would be too much of a radio for me till I hone my skills again and also expand on other aircraft other then swapables.

So I guess my main question is this, Airtronics Aquilia-6, Spektrum DX6/DX9, Turnigy 9XR, Orange?? But consider me a beginner if not a total newb since my stick time was mostly then sim time (need to get another I know) and RTF/ARF Heli kits from awhile ago (pre-lipo and FM transmitters days).

Thanks in advance and if you made it this far thank you for patience. :cool:
Taka

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
If you want a cheap 6 channel flysky fs-t6 for the price (about 50 dollars for a nice programmable) if you want 9, I say turnigy 9x, these are my two favorites, but you will have to by a receiver each time, bnf is usually spektrum. If you are going with spektrum, I would do the dx8. That's my two cents Happu Flying! :)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
If you are not afraid about a little programming the Taranis isn't that intimidating. I'm an absolute beginner (besides 27 MHz two channel RC cars in the 80s) and got mine working without a problem. If it fits in your budget, it will probably be the last Transmitter you are going to need for a long time.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
The new DX6 is a great radio. Only reason to choose the 8 or the 9 over it is the amount of channels.
Excellent support from Horizon on any of their products.

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
I liked my dx6 so much I bought my son one. We can swap files and I trainer for him wirelessly. When I download my files into his radio, the trim settings follow too. I really like the voice notifications timer warnings keep me from ever having to look down.

RoyBro

Mentor
The Taranis is not difficult to set up. It costs roughly the same as the DX6 but is far more flexible. You don't have to tap into its power right away. But it will be there when you need it. There are a lot of tutorials on YouTube showing basic setup to advanced mixes and features.

Plus, it has a JR style transmitter module port so that you can fly with different protocols. I have a Taranis and a Turnigy 9x, plus a DJT module and a FlySky module. I'm waiting for the Orange DSMX module to become available again in Hobby King US warehouse to further expand its capabilities.

Dollar for dollar, the Taranis is the best value out there.

Taka

Thank you all for your suggestions, I broke down and bought the DX6 with Recv from Horizon even got Free shipping.

Have a fun holiday weekend and may your take offs be great and your landings be spot on.
Taka