The Curse of the Transmitters (TCotT)

larsmn

OK,
Flitetest is a drug, hooking you on a new hobby, reeling you in without and hesitation or mercy. You get what material you can get (if not foamboards, depron sheets or IKEA furniture cartons [yepp, they heavy, but handles like a foamboard]). :black_eyed:

You buy engines, servos etc, no problem at all, though your bank account dwindles like ice in the Saharas. :cool:

But it is all your choice, if T-motor, Emax, or what ever motors, Hobbywing, Emax or SkyRC ESC, if Hitec, Emax, Futaba, Sanwa or something else servos, Gopro, Moebius, FT's and others assortment of FPV cameras, mixing all after your own head and have your bank managers threat with foreclosure :eek: . You have total freedom to chose whats on the market in your particular country.

But, and here is the "Curse" for us newbies, no RC/FT plane/quad will fly without a radio system. And in comes the slave drivers. Frsky, Taranis, Graupner, Spektrum, Hubsan, Wfly, Multiplex and the "No Name Park Flyer Brands" :( .

I can take my PC and my phone and tablet around the world, from Fiji to Hawaii, the North Pole to the South Pole, even into space. And my Internet and in most places also my 3G/4G/GSM will work perfectly, even if I have a iPhone, Samsung, Huawei, Nokia, Ericsson (yepp, I still have a 2009 Ericsson) or what ever, same with any HP, Dell, Apple or other laptop or tablet, as long as I have power and an Internet connection. My counterpart can have any possible combination and we can communicate fully, without problem.

But if choosing, even a particular model of, a transmitter, I fences me in to a bottomless pit of nuisances.

Today's Flitetest installment was about the Graupner 210 quad. Gee, I WANT ONE, I WANT ONE. Even if my bank manager will bankrupt me. It's the quad I've been looking for the last year to replace my Hubsan 107C, lacking FPV. Right size, can compete, FPV (onboard recording?), ready-built (!) to a good price, ready to fly.

But, I need a Graupner radio :( :( :( :( :(

My Hubsan 301F and 107 radios, my Spektrum Dxe, my no-name Park Flyer radio, my Silverwing radios, non of them abides. I need a 5:th radio, a Graupner to fly the 210 quad.

BUT I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER RADIO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having worked with Internet since 1982, having communicated and built services since then, whats wrong with the RC industry?

Why not a single base protocol, used by everyone, inter-changeable. If Cisco, Alcatel, Huawei, Ericsson, Nokia (oh, they still exist) and several other global multi-billion dollar industries can earn real money the RC forms just can dream about, without locking in their customers, so can the RC industry. The businesses not concentrating on selling radios but control solutions, allowing a Frsky transmitter to steer a Graupner product, a Wfly a Hubsan one. That I as consumer can fly all my planes, wings and quads with one single controller unit.

Not possible?

Be real, Internet is controlled by some +6000 protocols descriptions, collected from thousands of organizations and individuals, the so called RFCs' or Request for Comments.

For a suggestion to be registered as a RFC by Internet Engineering Task Force, the IETF, the definers need to prove that two different implementations of the protocol can talk with each other (sender & receiver in the RC world). This process has ensured Internet inter-operability for over 30 years. If a manufacturer implements a function, that is up to the manufacturer, but their products can still communicate with a baseline with other manufacturers products.

It is time you oldies, with your influence on the manufacturers, do help us newbies to get out of the current peat bog, that is today's RC controllers market. Because it always been like this, doesn't mean that it has to be in the future. Pressure the radio manufacturers to develop a common base protocol for at least 9 ch radios, allowing product mixing.

As it is today, I am very reluctant to buy a ready-made plane/quad, just because of this reason. Several vendors, like my DXe manufacturer Spektrum, do looses sales I could have given them. Hubsan is a even more spectacular example, they likely sell a million of units per year, but likely +98% of the customers only buys one unit, due to not wanting a lot of radios lying around. The monopolistic radio strategy of the manufacturers do not help the hobby.

Having said all this annoying stuff, is there any way exchanging the Graupner receiver in the new 210 quad for a OrangeRC or LemonRC mini DXSM receiver? I do want one.................. ;)

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Larsmn, welcome to the FT forums! Yeah, it's a bit of a dilemma, but as you implied, you can usually replace built-in receivers to suit your needs. I don't know if the Graupner 110 quad is suitable for that, but there are also many other nano sized FPV quads out there that you can consider as an option. I believe that one also comes in an RTF model that includes a TX, but of course, that's not going to reduce the number of TX's you have.

When I started with the hobby, I started with Spektrum, but then discovered that I could get a Walkera Devo TX and run DeviationTX to support Spektrum and other protocols. It's a hardware and software issue. It was great, but then I ended up going the OpenTX / Taranis X9D+ route as that was even more open (open hardware/software).

The DeviationTX projected looked at implementing HOTT, but found it was too expensive:
http://www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-development/1818-support-for-graupner-hott

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The closest I've come to solving the problem you point out (and boy do I want it solved) is using JR style radio modules in my Taranis. I don't currently have a Graupner HOTT capability, but I do have 4 modules that together cover about 12 different protocols including the DSM2/DSMX, FlySky, several Walkera, Cheerson, Hubsan, Estes, etc.

There is also a multi-protocol receiver module newly available from Banggood that copies most of the functionality of this DIY one http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165676 - I haven't picked one up yet, but it's on the list :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I did find a Graupner HOTT JR style radio module available for sale from 2 retailers in Europe a couple weeks back - links are somewhere here on the forums. It looks like Graupner discontinued making those modules, or just discontinued exporting them to North America a few years back.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I drew the line in the sand. If I can't fly it on the radios I currently own it won't get added to my collection. That being said It does limit my choices by a lot as I have an old Futaba FM radio with broken a gimble and two devo 7's which are not hack-able as far as I know like the 7E. What makes it worse is Walkera protocals do not play at all with others. They do finally make a ppm receiver so that upped the game for what I can do so for now I am happy with what I have.

larsmn

What I been wondering about, is guys experimenting with arduinos in RC. It's not lightweight, but an arduino set-up running over a GSM module, one in the transmitter, the other in the model?

Back in the 72MHz there were few interoperability problems between radios - you just had positive or negative shift, and most third-party receivers would handle both (and some transmitters could be switched). Of course, this only applied to standard FM signals, not PCM signals, and when you got past 9 channels things got more incompatible. However, this wasn't due to any industry-wide standard, but was more due to the fact that the "standard" way worked best when trying to build a small, light receiver before micro controllers were cheap.

When the 2.4GHz revolution came about, radio manufacturers figured that they could once again force you into buying everything from them so they have absolutely no desire to make their products compatible with other brands.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Larsmn, there are many arduino based flight controllers out there: ArduPilot, MultiWii, just to name the most popular ones. I've heard of people using GSM radios instead of RC equipment but the cost is much higher, especially when you factor in the dataplans necessary to maintain the link. Not only that, there are some technical limitations in terms of latency, etc. It can be done, and on the right airframe, will allow for super long range control, but it's a niche that will likely not be popular for a while until manufacturers and service provides come to the magic agreement that makes it accessible, and affordable.

RockyBoy, that banggood multiprotocol JR module is indeed derived from the DeviationTX/phracturedblue multiprotocol module for the Devo/DeviationTX radio/software. It's great that it's being made into a commercial product for transmitters with JR type module bays, and to see the software support start coming in OpenTX. Would be nice to see this mature so that we won't need multiple modules.