hobbking old fogey

@rcspaceflight

Can you link me to the thread that goes into detail how to change the tail to fix the wing waggle? Raise the horizontal stabilizer up or make the vertical stab taller?

Not to get off topic, im betting if you look at the profile and the proportions you would see how close this really is to a fogey. I scaled down the fogey to create a mini fogey and kept all the same lines and proportions. You can see the same swooping line down from the trailing edge of the main wing to the tail, the notch cut out of the side profile where the horizontal stab fits in and the same undersized elevator.

Has there been an official comment from anyone at flite test yet?

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I never built an original FT Old Fogey, but I heard about the wing waggle so I simply cut off the tail end of the fuselage of the plans, and then flipped it over. Then drew that new profile out onto foam board and built it that way. So I simply brought the tail up. By a lot.

It completely kills the looks of it, but it's still a neat looking plane (okay, mine was an EDF version):
attachment.php

alibopo wrote an article on how he lifted the tail up an inch or two. His article: http://flitetest.com/articles/what-did-you-do-to-that-old-fogey

I don't see anything wrong with redesigning an aircraft and making it out of balsa. I mean, no one is forcing a customer to buy either of the two. If someone wants a cheap plane to bash around, then the FT Old Fogey is a perfect option. If someone is looking for a balsa plane that will last a lot longer (but will also be more expensive), the HK Mariposa is an excellent choice.

Both are two "takes" on a mash-up of old timer designs. Each serves its own purpose and has a place in this world.

Besides, look at the following scenario:

Flite Test brought out the FT Spitfire, right? Well, guess what: last week, HobbyQueen (a fictitious counterpart to HobbyKing) brought out its own Spitfire, with the exact same specifications, except that it's made of balsa.

Are you going to go harp on HobbyQueen for doing this? Of course not! (Why? Because since the Spitfire is a very popular design, creating another model isn't a big deal. But since the Old Fogey is lesser known, adding another one significantly impacts the presence of the original. That's why everyone is over-reacting to the release of the Mariposa.)

StuartPB

Sorry I thought I was threadjacking so I created a new post elsewhere and deleted the one here. You must have seen it before I deleted it