Hobby King Yak 12 950mm: First Plane

AimlessMoto

Hey guys,

This is my first post here, been a fan of FliteTest for a long time and finally decided to stop lurking and join the party.

A little history:
I've bought every cheap quad, dual prop, "AirHogs" style plane and copter out there since I was around 12 years old. When I turned 18, I found mopeds/motorcycles and that quickly ended... I got married at 26, got a couple cats... bought a couple cheap indoor copters to annoy the felines... At 29 the wife and I had a baby, so the motorcycles were sold and I'm now drawn back to the hobby. I purchased a small P-51 balsa kit from a local hobby store, and after skinning it realized I didn't want to risk it as my first airplane in almost 15 years.

So for my birthday, I sent my wife a link to the Yak12 on HobbyKing's website for $99.99. Seemed like a good deal, 5 channel plane, sort of that "super-cub" "apprentice" style, but with no electronic safety net.

30813-main(3).jpg

Now, I'm a beginner/intermediate when it comes to keeping something in the air, and the Yak12 will be my first "true" scale model plane.

I downloaded a few "free" sim trainers. Most of which require a transmitter... the one that doesn't uses key strokes which will only hurt progress. Unfortunately the TX that comes with the Yak12 is non-USB/Sim compatible. So, perhaps investing in a DX5 or DX6 will be the next purchase.

This is the one that comes with:
30813-sub8(1).jpg

I plan on doing the whole "burn a battery" training on both taxiing around an open basketball court and doing takeoff and landing exercises on a rubberized outdoor track next to a football field. Just to get used to the controls and STOL characteristics of the Yak12.

So... now that that has been said.

What other advise do you guys have? I'm just a little scared that this is a 5 channel, flap plane when everything I've owned has been a 3 channel bank and yank.

Also, what opinions would you guys have on the "el cheapo" 6 channel TX/RCVR combos on Amazon?

I found one that is sim compatible, and has a digital readout so I could setup expos and rates easier.
http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-Digital-Proportional-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B00EYY4DEC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432071854&sr=8-2&keywords=6+channel+transmitter+and+receiver

61lOTBspf1L._SL1001_.jpg

Any help will be appreciated!

TheEntraP3

Don't Touch ANYTHING!
From what others have told me, the FS-T6 is a good way to go for a nice, simple transmitter. I'm not going to tell you I recommend it to you, but I will tell you that people have recommended it to me as a cheap way to get a good transmitter. I honestly would say from what I've learned through countless hours of researching that you should probably hold back on flying a four-channel and warm-up on a three-channel since it sounds like you haven't flown for a while. If I were you, I would go online and spend a few hours, a few days if possible, and research the Yak's performance and try to figure out if it would be a good plane for you to use to get you back into the hobby. Sadly, I'm not speaking from experience, I'm speaking from my own personal research and opinion. So you don't have to take my word for it, but I would research for several hours online and figure what the best route to take would be and definitely put several hours into the sim.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Don't mess with the flaps and make gentle motions. The smallest input possible to get what you need. I am not sure if you Tx can be switched between mode 2 and 4 but I put my delta ray into mode 4 which puts the "rudder" on the right stick like a 3 channel plane and I added in aileron as I got used to it. I quickly switched back to mode 2.

dharkless

I have been using this radio for about a year and I like it. There is a lot of capability for the price.
Additional receivers are under $15. Hobbypartz has it for $55 free shipping. http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-62196343123315/79p-t6-6ch-radio-lcd.html Main disadventage: Trainer function but no trainer cord available.

You can get compatible 3 channel receivers (good for elevons) for under $5 at Hobby King. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=65169

Hobby King prices are hard to beat on most supplies.

ZoomNBoom

Are you sure the included radio doesnt have a trainer port on the back? Often its a mono audio jack style connector. If it has one (any style), then you can buy sims that will take the signal through the audio in of your PC, or through included USB adapters. Alternatively, some sims come with their own "radio", which isnt a radio, but just a USB joystick. They are absolutely fine for learning the basics.

As for it being 5 channel; I wouldnt worry too much about it. You can almost certainly safely ignore 2 of the channels (flaps and rudder), and fly it as if it was a 3 channel. Id be slightly more worried about it being a taildragger, but I assume you will hand launch it and I suspect landing speed will be so slow, that its gonna be hard to mess up landings too, especially on grass.

Last tip of the day; its always good to have someone teach you. Saves a lot of time, frustration and probably money. If you dont know any local flyers, see if you cant join a club or something. You may only really need someone for the first few hours, but if attempted by youself, those hours may end after a few short minutes :p.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Welcome back...

I think you picked a good plane for your skill level, and for now the transmitter shouldn't be a problem. Once you can fly easily, you might want to step up to a taranis, DX6, or similar radios.

AimlessMoto

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'll play with it as it is at first... and take the advice of ignoring the rudder and flaps until I get really comfortable with it.

It IS a tail-dragger, so for Taxi purposes, I will have to use the rudder, but speeds will be low. I may upgrade the wheels to be a bit more "turf" friendly. I did some research and a lot of people complain that they wont roll through even close-cut grass. (eek)

I think I'll also save the cash for now and get a DX6 when the time is right.

I found an app for RC Simulation on my phone, which simulates Mode 2 sticks on a "apprentice" style plane. It's nice for stick movement practice, but it's hard with no tactile feel of the controller.

Here in Mass, close to where I live, there is the "495th Airborne" flight club. They have 2 fields. You have to be an AMA member to join, and then there's fees to join the club itself.

They do have "teach" days though... so after I practice my taxi/takeoff/landing a LOT, I'll see about getting some proper instruction.

Fun side note...
I told a buddy at work I was going to start fiddling with RC planes. He goes... "Yea? I have a plane... I'll sell it to you for $50." I ask what it is... 2005 Sig Somethin' Extra, OS 40 Max motor, and an ANCIENT Futaba TX with a mile-long antenna.

I may pick it up... the motor has 1 hour on it of just "tuning", it's never flown. For $50, I could always flip it. I doubt I'll be flying it any time soon.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Seesh. For 50 buck you might as well sell the motor, transmitter, receiver, and whatever else you don't need and do an electric conversion.

ZoomNBoom

It IS a tail-dragger, so for Taxi purposes, I will have to use the rudder, but speeds will be low. I may upgrade the wheels to be a bit more "turf" friendly. I did some research and a lot of people complain that they wont roll through even close-cut grass. (eek)

Hand launch will be your friend.

so after I practice my taxi/takeoff/landing a LOT, I'll see about getting some proper instruction.

No!!
Seriously, once your landing skills are up to par, you no longer really need instruction, you can pretty much learn the rest by just flying. Keep it "two mistakes high", and nothing can happen. Its for the first few take offs / hand launches, and for the first few, well, many landings that you will want someone alongside you to help you. Flying is easy, landing is the hardest part!

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Yeah, just take off, fly level, and then land. This will help you build both takeoff and landing skills without putting your model at a very high risk. From there, you really don't need any help from an instructor.

AimlessMoto

Oh, well I had it wrong then. Haha. Wouldn't be the first time.

So it's all about controlling attitude on approach that is the hardest part of flying. Good to know.

sierra_bravo

Some advice

For the transmitter I wouldn't recommend a Fly-sky radio they are poor quality(really cheap chines crappy feel) products, aren't very reliable, use a stupid amount of AA batteries, and in the long run not worth it. The only fly-sky radio I would say is worth it is the ct-6b but only for people who want to get into this hobby as cheap as possible (like me when I started). I use a Tactic TTX650 and would personal recommend it. It has six channels, full built in computer programing, plane and helicopter functions, is very nice to hold, not to large or box shaped, a good quality product, and has space for 20 planes. I got mine used for $110 with six RX's. Definitely check used radio equipment. the FT forum has a for sale section so have a look there and on other websites like rc universe.

Also if you are serious about RC then join an rc club and the AMA going to a rc club is so helpful when you are starting out.

-sam:cool: