Hot glue, a thing of the past?!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Why use GG on DTFB? If you live in a hot environment, hot glue may weaken under "normal" conditions.
*cough*fred*cough*

*cough*craftydan*cough*

I do use it, in almost the same manner as Mak suggested, but reversed -- load-bearing is done by long seams of HG, with strategic tack-welds of WGG to hold the pieces together if the HG softens. you do have to wait a few minuets before you fly if it's been sitting in the hot car, but usually that's not a big deal . . .

. . . but hot glue holding the wing spars like on the storch . . . no . . . just no.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I must not live on the sun like everyone else in this thread. Outside of the cloudy glue from adtech, I've not had HG fail on me yet. And I'm flying harder and pushing my DTF + HG further than most.

HG for life! :p

richb2599

I must not live on the sun like everyone else in this thread. Outside of the cloudy glue from adtech, I've not had HG fail on me yet. And I'm flying harder and pushing my DTF + HG further than most.

HG for life! :p

That goes for me too. I live in Phoenix where summer temps are usually over 110. I keep my dtfb planes in a workshop where temps are usually 90+ and have never had problems with hot glue. If something fails it is usually the paper to foam bond.

MikeJM

I'm a big fan of gorilla glue and normally run a nice bead down the leading edge before I bend it over and glue the top to the spar. This expands in the leading edge and strengthens it tremendously.

I don't know that have ever had a hot glue joint fail. I have always either torn paper off, or have broken foam before glue has let go.... I do like GG, but for a flite test build, it does seem like overkill. It also takes waaaaay too long to dry. I want FT planes to be quick builds. They are my fly stupid, try new things close to the ground, disposable planes.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I don't know that have ever had a hot glue joint fail. I have always either torn paper off, or have broken foam before glue has let go.... I do like GG, but for a flite test build, it does seem like overkill. It also takes waaaaay too long to dry. I want FT planes to be quick builds. They are my fly stupid, try new things close to the ground, disposable planes.

This.... took the words right out of my mouth :p

If I'm going to go thorough the effort of using a stronger glue then I will use a stronger building material.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
So I'm just going to use the wgg for builds that will last awhile, or summer build I keep in the car.