Hot Glue Tricks

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

hotglue-3-png_1416932322.jpg

Wether you are scratch building, modding, or repairing, hot glue is your best friend. It's cheap and reliable. We use it for pretty much everything here at Flite Test.
Here's some advice for choosing your glue, applying it, and even ways to remove it.

hotglue-2-png_1416932308.jpg

Most modern glue guns come with high temp or low temp settings. One gun that Josh really likes is the Ad Tech Pro200.
When it comes to foamboard you want to be careful that your glue gun doesn't get so hot that it makes the glue boil. This will warp the foam. On the opposite end, you don't want your glue to cool before you finish your bond.
We recommend using multi-temp glue sticks on a high temp setting.

hotglue-4-png_1416932340.jpg

Speaking of glue sticks, we had a run in with a bad batch recently. If you are going to look for sticks make sure you keep an eye open for the foggy, opaque sticks.
These, for whatever reason, took too long to dry, and when they did the result wasn't very solid. The cool part is that once Ad Tech heard about this they made the effort to contact us and fix the problem.
They sent us a ton of sample sticks all with different formulas. Once we figure out which is the best for scratch building we will let you know what made the cut!

hotglue-8-png_1416932418.jpg

One problem you may run into is running low on a stick while you have a large surface to bond.

hotglue-5-png_1416932364.jpg

You can always put a new stick in but it isn't secured in the body of the gun until the first stick is pushed through.
If you tilt the gun at a weird angle it will more than likely just fall out.

hotglue-6-png_1416932386.jpg

The easy fix is to use the heat from the guns metal tip and melt the end of the stick slightly.

hotglue-7-png_1416932352.jpg

Then when you but it up to the original stick, it was adhere to it making one giant Franken-stick! Problem solved.

hotglue-9-png_1416932434.jpg

If you are planing on Minwaxing Your Plane or if you just want to get the longest life out of your builds, you can seal the edges of your plane.
All you need to do is cut a small notch in a scrap piece of foam the same width of the edge.

hotglue-12-png_1416932429.jpg

Run a small bead of glue down the edge you wish to seal...

hotglue-10-png_1416932449.jpg

...place the notch over the edge...

hotglue-11-png_1416932466.jpg

...and scrape off the excess. This will drive the glue into the edge and seal it, preventing the paper from peeling.
Now that you know how to apply the glue, what if you need to remove it?
The easy method is fighting fire with fire! Not literally. You use heat to apply the glue and you can also use heat to remove it.

hotglue-13-png_1416932443.jpg

! WARNING !
DO NOT USE THIS METHOD ON FOAM!

hotglue-14-png_1416932459.jpg

If you have components that don't mind getting a little warm, like plywood, metal, (basically things that don't melt) you can use a heat gun to re-melt the glue.

hotglue-15-png_1416932478.jpg

If you do need to remove glue from surfaces you don't want to catch on fire, a really cool trick is to use denatured alcohol!

hotglue-16-png_1416932547.jpg

Here is a bunch of random stuff hot glued to a microwave!

hotglue-19-png_1416932546.jpg

Here is a pipette full of denatured alcohol!

hotglue-20-png_1416932615.jpg

SCIENCE!

hotglue-21-png_1416932584.jpg

The alcohol separates the glue from the surface without damaging a thing.

hotglue-22-png_1416932655.jpg

A more practical example would be removing a board from a multirotor.

hotglue-23-png_1416932677.jpg

The glue peels away like it forgot how to glue!

We hope that these tricks help you get more out of your glue. If you have any cool hot glue tricks leave them in the comments below!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Love the denatured alcohol tip, I'll have to give that a try! I've had good luck just sitting my models out in the sun for about 15-20 minutes in the summer - softens the glue up enough that it just peels right off. Of course I live in the desert where it's 114F in the shade so that method may not work for everyone! Saved a baby blender fuse that I got mixed up on and accidentally did one side A fold and the other B with it though :D

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Lucky you, we already have about 3 inches of snow.

Well, as long as you can handle the heat it's nice. Does limit my flying in the summer though - can't really bring extra planes out to the field because they fall apart if I leave them in the truck while waiting their turn to fly :p

We do have "365 days of flying a year" though. I was just in our city hall this week where they have a plane on display that was used to set an endurance flight record back in the 40's to attract the military here for just that reason. Which is great because it keeps this town alive and some really cool stuff gets developed out here (lots of GPS stuff was developed here and NASA is doing parachute tests out here now that some friends of mine are involved in.)

But it also means lots of controlled airspace. Pretty much our entire town is within the "no flying" zone of the airport, and even out in the desert we have the Yuma Proving Ground, Chocolate Mountain Gunnery Range and the Barry Goldwater range pretty much boxing us in. Other than a strip of desert north of here and strips going east and west following the highway not much open airspace.

Not to mention no grass to land on. And even where there is grass it's basically growing on sand. So I learned how to clean sand out of my motors before I learned how to fly for an entire battery pack without crashing :D

This time of year is pretty sweet though :) It was "only" in the low 70's today and I had to wear an extra layer :D

Fyathyrio

Another trick that works well for removing hot glue is to put whatever item you want to remove the glue from in the freezer. Not quite as nice as the alcohol, but will do the job for something you may not want to saturate.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Alcohol and hotglue - makes me worry a bit.
Did i use hot glue for anything in any of my fuel models?
Fuel will get into spaces it is not supposed to.....

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Josh mentioned a Kraken speed build kit! When????

IIRC you could get one as Kickstarter for the FTFF2014 as a pre-release. I also remember that it might not be released as SBK in the store because of the huge size of the shipping package.

Not sure about the 2nd part though since logistics are changing all the time :)

rcgreaves

hot ment tricks: Ad Tech Pro 200

Hi guys this is my very first post to the forums...

My son and I have a FT Mustang cut on the bench and awaiting a power pack from Altitude Hobbies.

I was intrigued by the explaination on this video of how difficult it it to properly glue long runs like a spar with a puny 40 watt toy hot melt glue gun like the one I own.

So off to shop I went.

I ordered the Ad Tech Pro 200 yesterday with a stack of glue sticks included for $54 shipped. From my internet search these guys in CA had the best offer I found

www.activesalesco.com their website doesnt have a shopping cart but an ebay search for the Pro 200 took me to their $47 offer for the gun and the $54 offer I took.

link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111001886648

Checkout was via Ebay and Paypal.

One other note: When I goofed and fat fingered the enter key with my OLD address on screen, a quick email was all it took to get a reply from a product manager to confirm my address was updated. It shipped this am in 12 hours Excellent customer service from Bill Talbott.

Team_Monkey

I've never been able to get the hinge reinforcing trick to work using hot glue. It's always too thick and too sticky.

I prefer to use Beacon 3 n 1 adhesive when hinging. It is very fluid and easy to squeegy off the excess but still works itself into the foam and paper.

Janith Priyanga

Melting the glue stick continuously

HI
I am new for this blog.I have built several planes issued by the FT.I have problem with my glue gun.The glue stick is melting continuously and need more glue sticks for the project.Has anyone have this problem?I am using trigger glue gun 20W. Hoping for new tips.
Thanks

dwight

Maybe try pulling the glue stick backwards just a little bit before setting it down? A bit of a hassle at first, but it would be better than melting through sticks between pulls of the trigger.

Dwight