how many of the pilots here have ADHD?

Marzipan

if you do, how have you done to cope / manage getting deeper into the hobby?

we're famous for taking crash courses and learning almost everything textbook about a hobby / interest and delving into it personally, but not usually more than skin deep.

I am all thumbs and have never, ever been a DiY sort of person. I build grand plans (or scheme's as my mom likes to call them) in my head, but ultimately fold and then may find myself distracted from whatever hobby / interest I had been pursuing. never forgotten, I always come back.

I watched the construction video of the tiny trainer and am amazed at it...but it's very fiddly and as I said, I'm not a DiY kinda guy. I want to be, but I've never been able to make myself be, despite the plethora of times I've tried it for previous hobbies and interests I have. And also because I definitely cannot afford to constantly buy RTF planes that aren't anywhere as repairable as the plans TF and fan group here have made and shared.

if you have ADHD, you'll understand how something new can be so exciting to us that our brains spin up several ideas at the same time and well, slip like a hamster in a wheel and rocket out sideways at velocity. I really want to do this with my grandson, teach / educate him and have fun together as we learn. I just don't want to suffer the burn out we're also renowned for.

I could also just be talking out loud for the psychological effect it has for balancing things out...so those who have watched me post multiple topics as i crash course the subject or RC aircraft, it's okay if you roll your eyes. I do appreciate your patience and humoring me with answers. :D

edit - oh! has anyone ever made a flying hamster before?

quorneng

Master member
I suppose, like many hobbyist, I suffer from almost the opposite, a form of OCD, which makes you spend far too much time on a hobby and descend to details that normal people find hard to appreciate.

I hope your grandson takes an interest in RC planes, none of mine do, but then I suppose I could not begin to match the hobby capability of my dad either!

Phin G

Elite member
edit - oh! has anyone ever made a flying hamster before?
My teacher did i wont go to into the story but ill put a bit of backstory, when she was younger she had a hamster, they had one of the washing machines with the exhaust tube going out the window. (You can probably see where this is going) one day when she was walking home from school her hamster shot out of the washing machine onto the grass, poor hamster

Last edited:

cyclone3350

Master member
I suppose, like many hobbyist, I suffer from almost the opposite, a form of OCD, which makes you spend far too much time on a hobby and descend to details that normal people find hard to appreciate.

I hope your grandson takes an interest in RC planes, none of mine do, but then I suppose I could not begin to match the hobby capability of my dad either!

I find that it is not so much OCD as it is CPBD. Compulsive Perfection Build Disorder. And yes, I too, spend way too much time on details that no one else will notice.

Marzipan

My teacher did i wont go to into the story but ill put a bit of backstory, when she was younger she had a hamster, they had one of the washing machines with the exhaust tube going out the window. (You can probably see where this is going) one day when she was walking home from school her hamster shot out of the washing machine onto the grass, poor hamster

indeed, poor hamster...though those things are vicious cannibalistic blood thirsty monsters.

if I get the DiY going, perhaps I'll make one of those micro planes who's profile looks like a hamster and go from there, LoL!

Marzipan

I do fidget like insane...but that's not my biggest issue with ADHD. my primary problem is the initiation deficit it's famous for and that's further exacerbated by the fact I survived a TBI 23 years ago that made everything worse. :p

I'm really good at spending and hoarding everything I need to get going...and then it sits there and ages. sometimes I will get to it...sometimes I will not. and as a personality quirk, I usually need company in order to do something. they are a sounding board and / or a help to whatever I'm doing, even if it's a one person task, like sorting personal belongings. :p

bisco

Elite member
i've never been diagnosed, but i have a hard time sticking with anything. my builds take forever, 15 minutes at a time.
i fly one battery several times a day, and that's enough for me.

i have always been a diy'er, but i never finish anything,

Marzipan

so...I found the template to make my flying hamster a reality!

1632527347181.png

http://rc-plans.com/catalog/item40.html