how many of you have had bird strikes?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The birdz at our field are not so aggressive. Guess we have been flying at this location long enough that they see us as pals rather than foes. The small birdz usually will chase us around at a conservative distance. The big birds just ignore us completely. I totally freaked out a flock of birds with my FT Dart the other day. Wish the camera was rolling, cuz they scattered like I've never seen before. LOL! I didn't even see them coming in, but man, did they scatter when I ripped across the field at full tilt in their general direction.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Back when I started with the versacopter then on to the alien build I had a flock of birds that would follow me and even to the rolls sometimes when I would do slow freestyle stuff. then there was the crazed sea pidgeon.. this past ( last?) summer

Bo123

Elite member
I had magpies swooping my plane, landed it and it had massive gashes through the wing, and the aileron came off.

Marzipan

how big is this drone and what was the battery? I saw some measurements of over 90A being drawn sometimes. must be a crazy ass battery!

I had a crow that took a disliking to me at my last two places in Vancouver...they were only 100m apart and it would dive bomb and hit my head as much as it could. I would hear it coming and then throw the back of my coat up and scare it off.

once though, my dad and I would out driving in the backcountry and we came upon a quail on the dirt track and it wouldn't move. eventually I got out to scare it off and it started to attack my feet / shins. would puff out it's wings and then run into my legs. I'd move around and it would chase and continue to attack me. eventually I herded it up to something so my dad could quickly drive by after which I hopped back in while it continued it's assault on my calves.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
how big is this drone and what was the battery? I saw some measurements of over 90A being drawn sometimes. must be a crazy ass battery!

I had a crow that took a disliking to me at my last two places in Vancouver...they were only 100m apart and it would dive bomb and hit my head as much as it could. I would hear it coming and then throw the back of my coat up and scare it off.

once though, my dad and I would out driving in the backcountry and we came upon a quail on the dirt track and it wouldn't move. eventually I got out to scare it off and it started to attack my feet / shins. would puff out it's wings and then run into my legs. I'd move around and it would chase and continue to attack me. eventually I herded it up to something so my dad could quickly drive by after which I hopped back in while it continued it's assault on my calves.

5 inch race /freestyle quad running on 5s 1300mah 100c China Hobby Line white series batteries. I have actually had it on speed runs at 134 amps after it was tuned up. It peaked at a 156amps pre tuned at one point.

IMG_0602.JPG

Liam B

I've come in close proximity of hawks and condors, but never had a strike before. However, there's a first for everything...

Marzipan

might be an idea to put a camera viewing front and one viewing the back...might make for some interesting captures!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
might be an idea to put a camera viewing front and one viewing the back...might make for some interesting captures!

For me its not worth the expense nor the added weight penalty. These things crash to much to put good high def cameras on. If I had a big channel and enough people watched to make money or to get sponsored for the gear then maybe. But not out of pocket for the 10 or so people that actually look at my videos.

trey

Doesn't count, but I recently hit a buzzard while riding my motorcycle. I ducked, hit the crown of my helmet, and I lived to talk about it.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I was driving back from Dayton a few weeks ago, when a small flock of birds emerged from behind the treeline, right into the path of a Semi. POOF! Feathers and carcasses flew everywhere, and one bounced off my windshield.....

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I was driving back from Dayton a few weeks ago, when a small flock of birds emerged from behind the treeline, right into the path of a Semi. POOF! Feathers and carcasses flew everywhere, and one bounced off my windshield.....

Bird strikes on cars are serious. Back in school we were riding the bus home when an impatient idiot in one of them big old boats called a Lincoln Continental (mid 70's) went wizzing by. As we went under and over pass a turkey of all things came in the other side and head on collided with that car. Exploded the headlight and peeled the right front quarter panel nearly to the door hinge. Folded the hood corner to corner like a dinner napkin origami figure. BIG POOF of feathers and ground turkey went everywhere. Sounded like a cannon was fired on the impact. He had to been accelerating around 70 mph or higher trying to get around the bus.

Marzipan

I can't relate to a buzzard bouncing off of me, but being I loved bombing down hills on my mtb, I know how much big / little bugs can sting at 60kph!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I can't relate to a buzzard bouncing off of me, but being I loved bombing down hills on my mtb, I know how much big / little bugs can sting at 60kph!
LOL.... Kinda like skiing down a hill when they are blowing fake snow or riding a killer fast roller coaster in the rain!!!! 😄

I had a walnut fall from a tree on a fall ride and hit me square in my eye protection/Sunglasses just below my helmet. Prolly would have lost an eye had I not had good thick polycarbonite lenses on.